Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
I have not noticed any issues with the factory head (from the BA systems) reducing low end output at higher volumes, but I can surely verify it with a couple of our customers vehicles.
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #30
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
I have not noticed any issues with the factory head (from the BA systems) reducing low end output at higher volumes, but I can surely verify it with a couple of our customers vehicles.
I don't here it either but some on here swear it's the case.
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Just tested the voltage with my o-scope and am a little surprised. I was able to turn the volume all the way up (45) and there was no clipping and the voltage was only 6.93v. While that is only a little more than most amps allow it shouldn't send it into protection at any volume less than say 40 because it is surely below 6v at that point. Hopefully the LOC will clean out what ever in the line is causing amps to clip.

Also if my math is correct the deck is putting out 12 watts at maximum volume.
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #32
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
I checked my DC input voltage with the radio on and volume at 10, voltage was at like 0.1 volt. When I whiched it to 2000mv on my DMM it when to 34 so I am not sure what to make of that other than it appears I dont have an issue.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
I don't here it either but some on here swear it's the case.
The BA systems might not attenuate the bass, but the base system does, in order to protect the speakers.

I'm still on the fence of both headunits being exactly the same, and the factory BA amp wanting high level inputs vs low level. As I don't have a BA system available to check, I can't confirm, nor deny, that. The 6 VDC CamaroGeek stated was on there does exist on the non-BA system, although that doesn't have anything to do with whether it's a high level or low level input.

Droid, 12wrms from a factory, non-BA headunit is about right. From a BA system, lol, not so good.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
racrx451

Drives: 2010 white SS
and I was just online looking for an old Orion HCCA 225... I love the old Orion stuff. might have to rethink it. thanx for the info
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #35
scca02

Drives: 2010 RS/2lt....Silver,bk stripes,6s
NOOOOOOOO, The ATTN piece that I ordered did not work unfortunatly.I tried adjusting all my gains up and down and had no luck.The only thing I didnt try yet is turning the headunit up to high volume and then try to re adjust.Anyone have any other suggestions??????? I really dont want to have to use another amp...........(ORION XTR200)(.005 % distortion)(112db sig to noise) AND damping factor of 1000. Yes TWO zeros in distortion and THREE zeros in damping factor which is the ability of the amp to control the cone motion of the speaker.Most good amps are less than 100 in this measurement.This amp is McIntosh quality and sounds AMAZING if I can get it to work.
scca02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #36
CamaroGeek

Drives: 2010
Have you used either a ground loop isolator or an LOC? Either will remove the DC, while attenuators will not. The DC is the problem.....
CamaroGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #37
Moriartii

Quote:
Originally Posted by scca02 View Post
NOOOOOOOO, The ATTN piece that I ordered did not work unfortunatly.I tried adjusting all my gains up and down and had no luck.The only thing I didnt try yet is turning the headunit up to high volume and then try to re adjust.Anyone have any other suggestions??????? I really dont want to have to use another amp...........(ORION XTR200)(.005 % distortion)(112db sig to noise) AND damping factor of 1000. Yes TWO zeros in distortion and THREE zeros in damping factor which is the ability of the amp to control the cone motion of the speaker.Most good amps are less than 100 in this measurement.This amp is McIntosh quality and sounds AMAZING if I can get it to work.
Yes my suggestion is shit can the amp and get a new one. Sounds flippant but I am being serious. You mentioned that this is an old amp? I am running a new Sundown Amp without issue. You have spent money coming up with solutions, time and your frustration. Pretty soon said time money and frustration equals a new amp and you are still in a situation where your stuff doesnt work. See what I am saying?

I hope you can get it to work but a new amp may be the ticket?
Cheers
k
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #38
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGeek View Post
Have you used either a ground loop isolator or an LOC? Either will remove the DC, while attenuators will not. The DC is the problem.....
Please try this before another amp. (sorry Moriartti) At around $10-$15 for a decent version of each, it's far cheaper.

To further what CamaroGeek is getting at, the attenuators will knock down the AC voltage, which is fine, but not touch the DC voltage, which is bad. You want the AC voltage to get through, and kill the DC voltage.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #39
Moriartii

LOL no worries, mrray!
I still think it is his amp. Reason for this is if that amp is such quality shouldnt it be able to handle what it is being fed? I have what I would consider a decent amp, nothing on the level of a mcintosh and it is doing fine. I do see what you are saying tho at $10 - $15 it is a cheap test to see.

Interested to see how this comes out.
K
Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #40
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
LOL no worries, mrray!
I still think it is his amp. Reason for this is if that amp is such quality shouldnt it be able to handle what it is being fed? I have what I would consider a decent amp, nothing on the level of a mcintosh and it is doing fine. I do see what you are saying tho at $10 - $15 it is a cheap test to see.

Interested to see how this comes out.
K
Aww, but your amps larger brother, the 1000d is having the same issue. It doesn't like the DC voltage either. So hopefully this $10-$15 can fix the problem.

I just looked in my garage, and I don't have a LOC laying around. If I did, I would donate it just to see if it would fix the problem. I will look again, just to make sure.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #41
scca02

I already tried the cheap attn and it still didn't work..I purchased an MTX reQ5 loc and will be hooking it up tonight or tomorrow. I just can't give up on these Orions yet because they sound SOOOO nice.Wish me luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #42
scca02

YES!!!!!!MTX reQ is making my ORION amp work perfectly now.

I was surprised that it needs to be set on the AC setting instead of DC but it is working now.HUGE. Bass now but its not dialed in yet.Thanks for the help guys and enjoy your Old school amps now........