#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
t-ray

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Officially hooked after first "track day"

Sorry if this goes a bit long.

One week ago today I participated in my first "track day"; I use quotes because it wasn't an actual HPDE. It was a charity event where drivers donate their time to take special needs children and adults around Barber MSP. We were encouraged to go 7/10th's, though I'm sure many of the drivers drove more aggressively - I know I did. There was no grouping based on experience, nor were there instructors. We didn't get any full clean laps; we got an out lap, and an in lap, then swapped passengers. As I said, it's not an actual HPDE.

I've played around with fun cars in one form or another (drag racing, autox, road rallies) for nearly 20 years, and despite having a previous 1LE, I was never able to do a proper track day. I am now in a place in my life where I can do that, and I'm looking forward to it. Regardless, despite any street driving experience or autox, I'm still a complete novice at the track.

I definitely would benefit from instruction. As the day went by I gained confidence, but I know I made plenty of mistakes. In fact, I didn't even notice the cones until a couple of days later when my partner told me about them (she got to ride in a McLaren 720s). And I never did quite get the T7 sequence right; I was always way slower than I should have been through there.

So I've spent some time this past week watching various videos wth tips for the track, as well as whatever videos I could find of 1LE's or ZLE's at Barber. And after watching some PDR videos on youtube, I am confused about a few things and could use some feedback from anyone that's been there.

First, amount of brake usage? Looking at PDR of both a 1LE and ZLE, I'm surprised by how little brake is indicated, particularly at the end of the front straight. In the videos I've seen, the brake indicator hardly ever reaches 50%. Is that accurate? Is the value shown in PDR a function of pedal travel or pressure? Is it linear? I just know that at turns 1, 5, and 7 I thought I was braking *much harder* than what I have seen on PDR footage.

Second, what kind of speeds (not lap time) should a stock 1LE see? I was kissing 118 before jumping on the breaks into T1, and maybe 110 going into T5. The driver in this video is a good 10-15mph faster than me in certain corners, and I find it hard to believe that kind of difference is attainable just by driving line alone. In fact, this guys's speeds are similar to other PDR videos I've watched of ZLE's at Barber.

Video (not me!):
2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - 13.1@104pm fbo+drag radials

Last edited by t-ray; 12-23-2023 at 12:10 PM.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I don't have an exact answer for your PDR question but as long as you're braking hard enough to activate ABS then that's all you need to hit, no reason to hit the brake harder.

Ideally for a corner with little trail braking it should be 100% brake pedal at the start and slowly bleeding off as you turn in, so as long as you're not pushing the brake pedal soft first and then harder as you get closer to the apex you're fine.

The guy in the video you posted used to run 18" wheels on that Camaro so the speedo is off in the PDR(since it uses wheel speed not GPS). Id guess the ballpark difference is that his actual speed is about 6-7 mph slower than what you're seeing.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:56 PM   #3
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
Just Track it is at Barber on 13-14 January...no time like the present to get some instruction and get after it!
Old 12-24-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Don't try and compare yourself to other drivers. I started tracking several years ago and learned basics in a 16 LGX M6 upgraded with track pads and fluid. Braking into corners should be a hard brake then release. I have watched a few videos where these guys have poor technique so I don't compare myself. I suggest signing up with a HPDE and get some experience with instructors in novice. I have a few years under my belt and finally pulled the trigger and bought a SS 1LE just for tracking. Being new to the car I plan on tracking a few novice sessions to start just to get use to the car, plan on tracking a couple new tracks and will start in novice to learn the track before moving into intermediate class. Even in intermediate I will probably start in track/sport 1 until I am confident then move into sport 2. I am not out there to break track records I want to have fun and leave the track with my car intact, a little tired but with a huge smile on my face. Head up this way Aug 1-4 for Camaro fest at NCM, road track day is that Thursday.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 07:10 PM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I try to hit the road course every year there, I’ve done MVP, 10/10th’s, LSFest, CamaroFest and Chin at NCM over the last few years.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 03:12 AM   #6
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Kudos to you for getting out and using your car as intended. Chevrolet's product is an impressive one for the money!
Old 12-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
t-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE
I don't have an exact answer for your PDR question but as long as you're braking hard enough to activate ABS then that's all you need to hit, no reason to hit the brake harder.

Ideally for a corner with little trail braking it should be 100% brake pedal at the start and slowly bleeding off as you turn in, so as long as you're not pushing the brake pedal soft first and then harder as you get closer to the apex you're fine.
Ok that makes sense. I didn't induce abs on every corner, but I was definitely getting at the end of two of the straights. Regarding trail braking - that's not something I'm comfortable doing yet. Though I intend on learning, I know it will help in autox as well.

There was one sequence I had trouble with where sometimes I was on/off/on/off/on the brakes. I know that's obviously not the way to do it, but I'll say that's inexperience.

Does PTM change the threshold for abs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE
The guy in the video you posted used to run 18" wheels on that Camaro so the speedo is off in the PDR(since it uses wheel speed not GPS). Id guess the ballpark difference is that his actual speed is about 6-7 mph slower than what you're seeing.
Ok that also makes sense. Watching that video and videos of a ZLE, that 1LE accelerates similarly to the ZLE which confused me.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
t-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
Just Track it is at Barber on 13-14 January...no time like the present to get some instruction and get after it!
Hopefully in a few months. It's nearly $1k for a two day event, novice fees, and insurance. That's not in the cards right now.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:48 AM   #9
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Look for some Track Night in America events in your area. They hit most tracks. Inexpensive but limited time and not instructed.

You do want to brake hard at first then ease off as you enter the corner. Its safer that way also (because you brake hardest in a straight line) as well as good technique. The braking zones get shorter as you get practice.

You can have fun at any level. I had to "start over" recently running with a different organization in the intermediate groups and it was a ton of fun. Its actually safer in the faster groups because the drivers are not over confident, know themselves and their cars.