Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-01-2023, 12:09 AM   #1
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Camaro 1LE v. Nismo Z

Nissan just announced the specs for the new 2024 Nismo Z, but not pricing. And the car is only available with a 9 speed automatic. Horsepower is up 20 to 420 and torque is up 34 to 384. Is the Nismo Z now going to be a sports car? That remains to be seen. And I'm guessing the MSRP will be close to 60k. That's not cheap.

Full press release from Nissan: 2024 Nissan Z NISMO Press Kit

New 2024 Nissan Z NISMO: Amplifying the sports car experience
[SIZE=17px]Iconic sports car adds track-ready NISMO grade[/SIZE]
  • Z NISMO returns with 420 horsepower and significant handling enhancements
  • NISMO-specific bodywork improves aerodynamic balance and style
  • NISMO-enhanced brakes, suspension, body rigidity and more aggressive tires contribute to track performance
  • Z Performance and NISMO grades add Amazon Alexa Built-in connectivity1
The 2024 Nissan Z doubles down on thrilling performance with the return of Z NISMO, delivering an exhilarating track-ready experience for enthusiast drivers. The NISMO grade builds on the capabilities of the Z Sport and Performance grades for those who seek more excitement and dynamic performance. Targeted enhancements amplify the precisely tuned Z to excite drivers of all abilities.
Z NISMO elevates the iconic sports car’s performance with additional horsepower and torque, NISMO-tuned suspension and brakes, revised aerodynamic bodywork, stiffened suspension, and wider wheels with a more aggressive tire compound.
Building on the equipment offered on the Performance grade, interior enhancements include red-anodized engine-start and drive mode buttons, manual-adjust Recaro seats and a leather and Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel with a red marker at the 12 o’clock position.
The 2024 Nissan Z NISMO goes on sale this fall. Pricing will be announced at a later date.
Z NISMO design
Exterior revisions to Z NISMO were specifically engineered to improve aerodynamic performance on the race track. As a result of the changes, Z NISMO produces positive downforce.
The front of Z NISMO prominently features a styling element called the “Grand-Nose” or “G-Nose,” which extends farther forward than on other grades and recalls a similar design treatment on the heritage Nissan Fairlady 240ZG.
The new front fascia also features a restyled grille opening with the thinnest honeycomb mesh of any Nissan production car. That mesh grille balances the need to reduce drag with permitting cooling air to the engine bay. Canards at the car’s front corners create vortexes over the front wheels, further benefiting aerodynamic performance. A subtle red accent runs along the lower edge of the front fascia.
Complementing the G-Nose is a taller, wider rear spoiler (compared to Z Performance) with a three-piece design that extends onto the rear fenders. The rear bumper corners are reshaped to aid with air separation and reduced drag; their shape is inspired by that on GT-R NISMO. A red accent runs from the lower edges of the rear fascia and above the exhaust outlets. Z NISMO’s redesigned side sills also help reduce aerodynamic drag and lift.
Above the window line, Z NISMO further stands apart from other grades with a dark metallic gray version of the car’s signature katana-blade styling element. Additionally, it has a black-painted roof and gloss black 19-inch RAYS® wheels.
Z NISMO’s bodywork is available in a choice of five colors: Black Diamond Pearl, Brilliant Silver, Passion Red TriCoat, Everest White Pearl TriCoat and NISMO-exclusive Stealth Grey.
Elevated interior
Nissan designers carefully enhanced the cabin of Z NISMO to amplify visual appeal without creating unnecessary visual “noise.” The engine start/stop and drive mode selection buttons are anodized red. The graphics in the fully digital TFT meter display feature a red outline around the tachometer, a NISMO logo and a special red “flash” during the start-up animation.
Helping to secure the driver and passenger in place are Recaro seats finished in a combination of leather and Alcantara, with a red center section and NISMO logos in the headrests. A new steering wheel features leather and Alcantara trim, with a sporty, racing-inspired red accent mark at the 12 o’clock position.
Targeted enhancements to twin-turbo engine
Z NISMO takes the twin-turbo engine’s power outputs up to 420 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque, increases of 20 hp and 34 lb-ft compared to other Z grades. Peak torque is delivered from 2,000 through 5,200 rpm, ensuring drivers have strong performance across the rev range.
The engine’s horsepower enhancements were achieved through a combination of improved cooling, revised electronic wastegate control providing increased turbocharger boost and turbine speed, and an independent ignition spark timing strategy inspired by GT-R NISMO.
Z NISMO also features an enhanced engine oil cooler for extended track performance.
More dynamic shifting with Sport+ mode
Z NISMO exclusively uses a nine-speed automatic transmission that has been enhanced for faster and more dynamic shifting performance, with a particular focus on suitability for track use. Compared to the transmission in other Z grades, it has revised clutch packs allowing for faster shifting. Along with revised engine management software, Z NISMO’s transmission has reduced downshift time by almost half, compared to Z Performance. Launch control also delivers more aggressive standing-start acceleration.
In addition to Normal and Sport, Z NISMO adds a new Sport+ drive mode. This delivers a more dynamic, racetrack-tuned shift program for circuit driving, taking advantage of the powertrain’s faster downshift capability. The shift programming is designed to be so responsive for performance driving that a driver does not need to use the shift paddles on track – though fast-responding manual shifting is always available.
Enhanced suspension and tires
NISMO engineers revised every element of the car’s suspension to optimize precision, predictability and cornering grip. Z NISMO has unique stabilizer bars, a stiffer spring rate and larger, retuned dampers. The overarching tuning ethos was to deliver accurate, “one-shot” steering that helps drivers to pick their line through a turn with a minimum of steering adjustment needed, contributing to confident track-ready performance.
To deliver maximum road feel and traction, Z NISMO wears Dunlop® SP SPORT MAXX GT600 tires, a version of which are also used on GT-R. The rear tires measure 10 millimeters wider than those equipped on Z Performance (285/35R19 versus 275/35R19).
The tires are fitted to lightweight, NISMO-specific, gloss black RAYS 19-inch wheels. Although the wheels are 0.5 inch wider than the 19-inch wheels on Z Performance (10 inches wide front, 10.5 inches wide rear), their advanced construction means the NISMO-specific wheels are slightly lighter.
Stiffened chassis
Comprehensive chassis revisions to Z NISMO begin with bracing and stiffening measures that help the car faithfully track and respond to the increased cornering forces enabled by Z NISMO’s tires. Enhancements include additional front, rear and rear underfloor bracing, helping increase torsional rigidity by 2.5% compared to the standard grades. Stiffer front and rear suspension bushings, and a stiffer mounting bushing for the steering rack, further increase lateral rigidity.
Track-enhanced brake system
Engineers enhanced the Z NISMO braking system, upgrading the front brakes to larger, 15.0-inch rotors matched to 13.8-inch rear brake rotors, and equipping a more performance-focused brake pad compound. The changes are intended to improve Z’s impressive brake pedal feel and enhance braking performance in extended track use scenarios.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Wait for the Throttle House comparison. They already did one for the regular z and with these Nismo upgrades are people really expecting 5 seconds faster lap time? We shall see.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:06 AM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Pretty safe bet the 1LE still dominates. Also doubtful the Nissan would have track use (20 minutes+) durability.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #4
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMN View Post
Wait for the Throttle House comparison. They already did one for the regular z and with these Nismo upgrades are people really expecting 5 seconds faster lap time? We shall see.
Yes I've seen it. Thomas wasn't a fan at all of the Z. It will be interesting to see how much better the Nismo is, but I don't see it being 5 seconds quicker on Throttle House's home track. But as you said we shall see.

Joe Raiti just did a video of the Nismo, but of course he didn't get to drive it.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #5
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Pretty safe bet the 1LE still dominates. Also doubtful the Nissan would have track use (20 minutes+) durability.
I'm with you there. The Nismo does have 15 inch front rotors (compared to 13.8 on the Performance model), so at least it appears that Nissan is trying to improve the Z's performance. Joe Raiti said in his video that he expects the Nismo Z's MSRP to be 63k. For that money a ZL1 comes into play.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:41 PM   #6
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Too bad it’s only +20 hp over a regular Z, and not to mention it’s about 100 lbs heavier due to the extra bracing and bigger brakes. So, nearly as heavy as a SS 1LE despite being smaller, less powerful, and without a backseat. To me this is an example of poor engineering. The Supra is similarly powerful, and will likely beat the Z Nismo in a straight line and on a track, and weighs 3350 lbs.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I don't that the Nismo Z would be able to beat the SS1LE
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #8
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Lol...the ss 1le is still going to drive circles around that car.

Last edited by AZIROC; 08-10-2023 at 02:17 PM.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:53 PM   #9
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
nowhere near enough tq for that curb weight

meh...
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #10
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
FWIW, I've previously owned two Z cars (350z HR and a 370z). To this day, I still claim that they are probably the most fun, most loved, cars that I have owned. The only other car that REALLY came close to that was my '17 Camaro 2SS. The Camaro chassis provides great handling and connection to the car, which I think I really enjoy.

I'm hoping I have the same love for my upcoming ZL1.

Gone but not forgotten: ‘17 Camaro 2SS Yellow 6speed
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:13 PM   #11
ZPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
FWIW, I've previously owned two Z cars (350z HR and a 370z). To this day, I still claim that they are probably the most fun, most loved, cars that I have owned. The only other car that REALLY came close to that was my '17 Camaro 2SS. The Camaro chassis provides great handling and connection to the car, which I think I really enjoy.

I'm hoping I have the same love for my upcoming ZL1.
Very interesting comments. I felt the same way about my 350Z and 370Z, both of which had suspension modifications. I enjoyed driving both of them more than my C6. After getting used to the size of my 1LE, in comparison to the Zs, it has become my favorite driving car. Your ZL1 should drive very similar to the 1LE, but with more power.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
Old 08-11-2023, 07:00 AM   #12
NashZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Had a 370Z. It was ok. Had a 1995 300ZX Twin Turbo, which my daughter and son-in-law now have. Still have a 71 240Z (owned since 1987).

Not impressed with the new Zs, either in NISMO form or not. A reskinned 370Z with a better engine (I had a Q60 Red Sport for 6 months) but just not enough there to make me want one.

Having said that, my ZL1 is just fantastic. Best performance bargain for the $!
2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate
2019 Mercedes-Benz SL450
2017 Corvette Grand Sport A8
2016 Hyundai Equus Ultimate
1971 Datsun 240Z
NashZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:02 AM   #13
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPirate View Post
Very interesting comments. I felt the same way about my 350Z and 370Z, both of which had suspension modifications. I enjoyed driving both of them more than my C6. After getting used to the size of my 1LE, in comparison to the Zs, it has become my favorite driving car. Your ZL1 should drive very similar to the 1LE, but with more power.
My yellow 370z would probably be my all time favorite. I loved the looks of the car, the uniqueness, the handling, the yellow paint LOL, the 6 speed transmission, etc.

The lifelong Mustang vs. Camaro battle has always killed me. Regarding the driving (performance, handling) aspect, nobody can argue that a Mustang comes out on top. There is no comparison. The Camaro is built and handles like a track car; the Mustang does not. Plain & simple. I'm not a fanboy of either - I actually like both cars, but that's the way I see it.

The one exception would be the new GT500. I spent a day driving one of those and I did actually love that car. I was very sad to return it. My main gripe is that its automatic transmission only, though it IS a great gearbox at that.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:06 AM   #14
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashZL1 View Post
Had a 370Z. It was ok. Had a 1995 300ZX Twin Turbo, which my daughter and son-in-law now have. Still have a 71 240Z (owned since 1987).

Not impressed with the new Zs, either in NISMO form or not. A reskinned 370Z with a better engine (I had a Q60 Red Sport for 6 months) but just not enough there to make me want one.

Having said that, my ZL1 is just fantastic. Best performance bargain for the $!
Very cool! I hope that ole Z sticks around in the family... and hopefully it sees car shows.

What was your build on the 370z? I had the sport touring w/ 6 speed (so basically loaded unless you jump into a Nismo). I agree about the new Z.. I'm a bit disappointed and I was looking for to it for quite some time. I just can't come to love the rear, and the car is not completely redesigned IMO. I recognize far too many parts that basically straight out of a 370z, and then with the TT you're going to lose the legendary VQ sounds.

I've actually never driven a ZL1 LOL, but hopefully I come to love it.