Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Burnin' Rubber

Drives: Domestic
Question on 2013/2014 driveline specifications

Hello, all.

I need some clarification on driveline specifications for the 2013 and 2014 Camaro. It appears I have found some conflicting details in the information that is available.

Since the model debut in 2010, I was under the impression that a limited-slip rear differential is included with manual transmission V6 models, and both manual and automatic transmission V8 models. In contrast, the automatic transmission V6 models have an open rear differential.

I am confused by the information found in the Canadian brochure for the 2013 Camaro. There is a footnote in the section on standard and optional equipment which states that the limited-slip rear differential is “deleted on all models except ZL1 when available automatic transmission is specified”.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...-01#mechanical

Does this mean that a change occurred since the 2012 model? Has the rear differential on the automatic transmission SS models changed to an open type?

The 2013 brochure from the U.S. GM website is not completely specific on the differential specification. However, this following link shows that a limited-slip rear differential is standard on all SS models and available on LT models.

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-perf...s/options.html

I looked at the online ordering guides for both the 2013 and 2014 Camaro and they both seem to indicate that the limited-slip rear differential specification is unchanged since 2010. That is to say a limited-slip rear differential is included on manual V6, manual V8, and automatic V8 models, whereas an open rear differential is included on automatic V6 models.

So which source of information is correct for the 2013 model and what will it be for the 2014 model? Was the limited-slip rear differential deleted on automatic transmission SS models for the 2013 model year? If anyone wishes to provide some factual details to clarify it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Burnin' Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Burnin' Rubber

Another inconsistency I found is with the NPP dual-mode exhaust option.

The GM Canada brochure shows the dual-mode exhaust as an available option only on the manual transmission SS models. I understand the dual-mode exhaust cannot be selected on the automatic transmission SS models because of the Active Fuel Management system.

According to the online ordering guide, however, the NPP exhaust is also available on the manual and automatic LT models, of which I was previously unaware.

So, effectively which of all these option specifications for the rear differential and dual-mode exhaust is correct? Are these differences only for Canadian orders, or are there errors in the GM Canada information? If anyone wishes to provide some much needed insight that would be great.

Thank you kindly.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Burnin' Rubber

No replies yet? What gives?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
As you have stated, NPP is available on all V6 models and V8 models with manual transmission only. There are several threads where this has been discussed if you want/need more information. But it's pretty straight forward.

There are no differences between US and Canadian models.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Burnin' Rubber

Thanks, but I am still interested in knowing why the printed specs differ in the Canadian brochure. I think it's important to make an informed decision and I have not found it discussed in any other thread.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Burnin' Rubber

I just want to bump this old thread in the hope of getting some more replies. I never got the responses I was looking for to clear up the confusion I have. I think the questions I posted are valid but it seems they were overlooked. It could be that others have the same questions and concerns as I do.

Could a GM employee perhaps review my original posts and offer an explanation for the discrepancies in the specifications? Alternately, could a moderator suggest a better category in which to place my questions for better feedback?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I believe the limited slip differential is standard on all V8 models and V6 models with manual transmissions. It is not available on V6 models with automatic transmissions. I don't know if there are aftermarket LSDs available for V6 automatics.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote