Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
My first lesson... Yes, it's a Camaro!

Got my first ticket since becoming a proud owner last September...

My only real issue? I have commuted from Oshawa into Toronto for the last 8 years... I've driven an Impala, a G6 Coupe, and now my wifes new SRX and my Camaro. I've ALWAYS set my cruise for 130, as long as I am driving in commuting "times" and as long as it is the 401 or 407 across the GTA.

I've passed OPP radar... hundreds of times? This week alone I passed two or three. No issue. The traffic on the 407 does 120-130.

Today, I was in the empty fast lane, while the first two lanes were slower. I noticed a "local" police car, York Region, but I kept going. Nothing is more dangerous then slamming your brakes on when you see a police car.. Anyways.. today that was my mistake. A few seconds later, he pulled out behind me, and lit me up.

Here is where things got interesting. I moved over to the #1 lane.. and started to move to the shoulder when I realized that it was becoming an island from the onramp to my right.. so I maintained my speed, passed the onramp, and pulled over. This was probably my first mistake. Granted, this is the first time I have EVER been pulled over.

The officer said "Two questions"... what is your hurry, and why didn't you pull over?

Now honestly... I thought I was supposed to pull over where he and I would be safe, but apparently I should have parked it immediately.. Whatever.. as I said.. strike 1.

Next, I told him I had cruise set at 130, as I always do for my commute. He replied "Well that is BREAKING the LAW". I said, yes, I understand. He indicated he was doing 120 and I blew by him.. (I didn't have the nerve/I was being respectful, but it would have been fun to point out he too was breaking the law.. and/or ALL the traffic on the road was around us.)

Anyways.. he went to his car.. checked my license, etc.. no doubt saw I have a perfect driving record.. and returned. He gave me "a break" for being honest with him, and gave me a ticket for 115 in a 100. $52.50 or something close to that. I thanked him, told him I would slow down, and said have a nice day.

Now.. the silver lining? He noticed my personalized plate... asked about it. He didn't notice I had no front plate on, sparing me another fine, no doubt!

All in all, I don't mind paying 53$ to the fine region of York. I do feel like I was unfairly targeted.. and I'm not really inclined to believe I would have gotten the ticket driving my wifes car, or another car.

For the record - YES, I understand I was speeding. I understand it is against the law. I understand I earned and deserved that ticket. I have ZERO problems with that... I would just like to better understand...

Oh well... It's not all POSITIVE attention our cars get!
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
So were you on the 407? It is usually the responsibility of the OPP. I live in Brampton but my office is in Richmond Hill so I travel the 407 often. I have never had any problems with the York Region Police but have been told that they are...well you know. This is from co-workers who live around the Richmond Hill area, just a friendly warning when they saw my Camaro.

The "safe" speed, so I have been told, is 120kph or under. I never use my cruise control but have set my speed warning at 125. So 15 over, they didn't take any points right?
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Fine region of York??!!
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Canadian_Stig

Drives: Highlander Hybrid, Durango, TurboPT
That really sucks, but at least he did cut you a break. 15 over is no points and a pretty small fine compared to 30 over.

Funny store, I was talking to a friend of mine last night, who just recently purchased a new 2SS, about the fact the 407 is a toll road, well maintained and less travelled then the other 40* series of hwys. I told him the 407 "owners" recently sent me a feedback survey on quality, service, etc., on using the 407. I subtly suggested that the "owners" of the 407 should contact the government and subtly persuade them increase the posted speed limit (or remove it) on the 407. It seems, in my experience anyway, the most drivers on the 407 follow the "rules" of the road more then on other 40* series hwys (in the GTA anyway) and for the most part as stated by yourself a higher percentage of vehicles safely travel the 407 at 115+ constantly. I suggested to 407 that having an increased speed limit over the other competitive non-toll hwy would be a win-win-win situation. Drivers would get to their locations quicker (Win - Drivers), more drivers would take the 407 as a result (Win - 407) finally more people taking the 407 would reduce traffic on the 401 (Win - Ontario Government)

Friend suggested I make a Facebook group, considering it, doubt it would happen but worth a shot.

Anyway, I agree 120 - 130 is the norm on the 407 and the government shouldn't be using the norm as an opportunity for revenue generation, isn't it enough we pay $20 for the trip, let alone having to pay a $53 fine or higher for driving with the flow of traffic.
Canadian_Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
407 is privately owned yes - and I understand that for that reason they have to actually contract the police to patrol it - only exception being emergency response. That's probably why a York unit was patrolling it. Otherwise, since like the other 400 series highways it's not a regional road, they technically can't ticket on it (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
On the 400's around TO the standard is generally 120-125. But since the limit is 100 if you get someone who's having a bad day or gets their jolly's off giving tickets then you'll get nailed for 10 over If you're travelling at 130 as part of the pack then they usually won't touch you. But if you're out in a lane by yourself, or even sometimes at the end of a string of cars, and you're doing that they'll get you every time. It's all part of the "keep with the flow of traffic" rules.

Honestly you got off lite. The ticket isn't the problem - it's the damn points. 15 over is the max with no points - that's why he used 115. I got one recently, had points, dropped it zero, even though I was in the middle of no where, no other cars around, 7am and doing no harm. But that was his thing - he was highway patrol and that's all he does - give tickets. I don't fault him - I was breaking the law - and my tax $ pay his salary to do his job. But at the same time, it's frustrating when I get it there (again, 7am, middle no where, wasn't racing or anything, no one on the road for miles) when mean while when for fu@king ricers do 35 over down my 50k zone neighbourhood street at 4pm on a Saturday, of course they'll never get a ticket for that even though in that case they're causing a very real danger to others. This is where I see the problem with speeding laws - they are effective enough to penalize those doing the real harm. They try, with community safety zones etc., but it's not effective enough.

What happened? Well I fought it - seems like they have a standard policy in the region I was in. Charge the full fine, no breaks road side, everyone fights it, but they look at your record and make you an offer when you fight it. I said I'd pay the full fine, but wanted the points dropped. They said can't do that - but everything got reduced. Oh well, take my medicine.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Hylton

Main - are you planning on coming out with us on the maiden cruise to Kingston in 2 weeks?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
A few answers to some of the responses.. and, thanks guys for responding. I was frustrated and felt "alone" after my ticket yesterday!

Yes, I was on the 407. I was ticketed at 9:53AM, just east of Woodbine Avenue. The York PD officer wasn't patrolling, he was getting from A to B. Ticket was 52.50, and ZERO points.. hurray!

I'm not sure, but I believe ANY police officer can ticket you ANYWHERE. I don't think the city/region/province thing matters, anymore.

The 407 - I agree, drivers are better on the 407. My commute used to be the 401, and for the last few months I am taking the 407, since I have changed jobs. The drivers don't clog the passing lane, they move over for the most part if they are in the passing lane, and they all respond to the "high beam flash" specified in the drivers handbook as "I want to pass".

If there is any highway I think the speed limit should be raised on, it is the 407. I've also been pretty happy with there cleanup after snow - granted this was a pretty nothing winter, especially the last 3 months.

Hylton.. on the Kingston thing.. I would like to, but I'm not sure. I've been working 6 or 7 days a week, long hours. That ends this weekend, so maybe I'll be able to come. Depends on the wife, mainly.

Anyways.. thanks, again, for the words guys.
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Hylton

Bring her with and make it a romantic weekend.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Very possibly the preference of the officer. Can you be absolutely sure that he had never been assigned radar there?

Secondly, don't bother pointing those things out at the side of the road, do it in court. If he had hassled you about the not stopping, you would have been set for getting off free. You do have the right to continue if you don't feel the area in which you are pulling over is safe enough to do so and for the duration of the stop (I am a cop, I wouldn't mind this, some though, do).

Really? He could've been in a bad mood. I got stopped when I was in college in Hamilton. The cop reemed me out for? 10 over. I was doing 110 in a 100.

As to the authority. All highways are the responsibility of their regional service. The OPP just have additional, provincial jurisdiction over them all (or where they are contracted). In order for another officer to do so, he must be in that area, in the lawful execution of his duties (Main's got it right with his A to B example).

I would be weary of the whole improve the 407. If you make it TO enticing to take, then more people will deal with the cost of taking for the ability to get where they're going fast, etc... You may not see a huge influx of traffic, but you will most definetly see a large increase in those jack-ass drivers we all hate.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Rampant

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula WS6 455ci LS7
Sorry to hear you got a ticket, but I felt you got off lucky.

I get watched like a hawk in the Formula. It is a very fast car and I drive it quite slow on the street, 10 over is my norm. My Magnum I go 15 over max.

When you get cars like this you need to go slower to avoid the hassles. It is not fair but it seems to be the way. 16 over is 3 points. Typically you will get ignored below that.

I am slow on the street and very fast at the track. I will admit I knew the top speed of every car I owned till I started modifying the Formula seven years ago, stock was verified at 164mph. I have no idea what it would do now with near double the hp. That is what the track is for and there is not enough room there.

Knock on wood I have not had a ticket in over 10 years now.

Come out and play at the TFBM events, you can go 110% there with some officers watching.

Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
You got off lightly. He did you a favor. Doing 130 and only ticketed for 115. I travel 407 almost everyday and see YRP on it all the time. The fact you were in a camaro got his attention doing 130 is what got you the ticket.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Burnin' Rubber

Drives: Domestic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Main View Post
Here is where things got interesting. I moved over to the #1 lane.. and started to move to the shoulder when I realized that it was becoming an island from the onramp to my right.. so I maintained my speed, passed the onramp, and pulled over. This was probably my first mistake. Granted, this is the first time I have EVER been pulled over.

The officer said "Two questions"... what is your hurry, and why didn't you pull over?

Now honestly... I thought I was supposed to pull over where he and I would be safe, but apparently I should have parked it immediately.. Whatever.. as I said.. strike 1.
This reminds me. A very similar thing happened to me one morning on my way to work last year. It was a very cold day in February, one of the coldest spells of the year. The temperature was around -18C first thing. So I'm driving along under the speed limit minding my own business. At a red light I notice this cop behind and to the right checking out my car. I thought he was proactively checking my plate for any offences. Good job, I thought, but I hope he doesn't stir up any trouble for me. About half a block after I pull away from the traffic light I notice the Christmas lights in my rearview mirror. Looking back I may not have noticed them right away because I tilt my mirror up a little bit to avoid the glare from trucks and SUVs with high blinding headlights.

At first I thought he was after someone else and I just needed to get out of the way so I moved over to the right lane amidst traffic to let him pass but he just keeps following me. Now I'm thinking what is the problem? So I started to pull over, first time I've ever been pulled over by the way, and the shoulder to the right rolls off into a steep 30-foot drop into bushes with the only barrier being a fence made of wood stumps and steel wire. I decide to drive for maybe another 100 feet until the shoulder levels off so we'd be a little safer. The cop toots his siren a few times to get me to stop. He comes to the window and asks me sternly why I didn't pull over right away so I explain my decision. He said you're supposed to pull over immediately and the reason he parks behind you is to protect you. By this time I'm just shaking my head not knowing how deep a mess I got into.

The reason I was pulled over was for a dirty license plate. He asked if I knew my license plate was unreadable. I said no. He said I could have gone around the vehicle to check and wiped it clean with a wet rag before departing. At this point I was getting annoyed because he was making me late for work and I think he could sense it. I matter-of-factly pointed out it was -18C this morning and I thought that any water I applied to bare metal would freeze on contact. He said no it wouldn't and slapped me with a $120 fine.

I was already going to be 10min late for work and I have to punch a time clock. I half-heartedly asked him if he could just let me off with a warning but I knew he wouldn't because he already wrote up the ticket and I felt he didn't like my tone. It made it apparent that I thought his reason for pulling me over was total BS especially for making me be late for work on such a trivial charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
You do have the right to continue if you don't feel the area in which you are pulling over is safe enough to do so and for the duration of the stop (I am a cop, I wouldn't mind this, some though, do).
That's good to know. Live and learn, I guess.

Last edited by Burnin' Rubber; 03-20-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Burnin' Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Burnin' Rubber

Drives: Domestic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Fine region of York??!!
Emphasis on the word 'fine', as in the noun.
Burnin' Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
welcome to the club.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote