Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-29-2023, 09:23 AM   #1527
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
I don't doubt anything you're saying, Jimmy. I'm just more inclined wait 5 years and let them sort out the issues, namely evolving battery chemistry, rapid depreciation, thermal limitations, charging infrastructure, integral construction (anything deeper than a scratch that polisher can buff out means total loss) and a real sense of cost of ownership without subsidies, insurance premiums, and eventual electric rate increases in place... then we'll have a clearer picture. for me, they remain just novelties for now. not a primary means of transportation.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:42 AM   #1528
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1

bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:13 PM   #1529
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
As per the sales manager at a fairly large Ford dealership, they can't get anyone to even look at an F150 Lightning much less buy one.
Local Ford dealership here has had a nice looking Ford Mustang Mach E GT (I think it is...or maybe it's a Premium but pretty sure GT based on the wheels) sitting on their lot for months. I know it's been there for at least 3 or 4 months if not longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post

My main takeaway - If or when they get the infrastructure and charging issues sorted out the switch to EV's is not the disaster you might imagine because the cars themselves are pretty darn good.

At least that one was.
I don't think many people are worried about how they drive. Heck, I'd love to have all that instant torque. Sounds fun! Not to mention the extra storage spaces a typical EV allows for.

But that's not the issues keeping people from buying them. Myself included.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #1530
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post

Yikes and double yikes.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #1531
TransamGTA350

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
My daily driver is a Tesla. It's overall a great car. Fast, fun to drive, cool tech. The over the air updates are like an iphone, new features and updated graphics, etc. just show up from time to time. It's been a very reliable car so far and the maintenance requirements are almost nothing. With all that said, I don't believe EV's are ready for a single car household. I also have a Silverado and my wife has a Yukon, so we're covered for those times it doesn't make sense to drive the Tesla (very cold days, driving out into the country where charging is scarce, towing, snow).

EV's are still relatively young technology. I went into it fully aware of the downsides (first cost, large depreciation, insurance cost, limited service centers, charging, etc.). Like any newer technology, it will get better over time. You'll always have early adopters, mainstream adopters and late adopters. No issue with that.

You do have to have a different mindset with an EV regarding "fuel". The general mindset needs to be to plug in whenever you stop. I plug in at work and/or and at home and that covers my normal daily driving. On longer trips, I will plug into a Tesla Supercharger for 10-20 minutes at a time when I need to stretch my legs, get a coffee, use the facilities, etc.

I get lots of questions from people about EV's and I'm happy to answer them. It's also interesting because there are certainly groups of people who are anti-EV and groups who want all vehicles to be EV's. I identify with neither of those groups. EV's are just another available technology that has it's pros and cons. I like ICE vehicles and I like EV's and I see a future with both of them, despite the flavor of the day of government BS. I don't think forcing EV's on people is the way to go. As they get better, cheaper, etc., there will be a natural progression toward them without having to mandate it.

However, at the end of the day, my SS1LE is still more fun to drive than the Tesla.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:00 PM   #1532
Capricio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Things that make you go hmmm.

https://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=407691
"61 The correct way to put out an EV fire is with a careful mix of asbestos, plutonium, dioxins, and aspartame."

Comments made me LoL.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:04 PM   #1533
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
https://www.motor1.com/news/702695/t...ng-lap-record/

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:35 PM   #1534
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
EV Catches Fire - Government Lies About It

This is pretty interesting.

It's only 7 minutes so it is easy to watch. I will leave it without comment other than if you don't think there is an EV agenda, well... you decide.

Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:27 AM   #1535
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Things that make you go hmmm.

https://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=407691
The bit that made me go hmmmm was this:

"In other words, 2023 was a very good year – a year in which we turned opinion against electric vehicles"
Not exactly unbiased and even handed, is it?

It goes on to spout some shit about Audi not selling cars (theres still an 8+ month waiting list for any Audi EV here, we waited 9) and UK sales "plummeting" - EVs still account for 17% of UK new car sales, when sales in general went up 18% thats an increase, isnt it?

When he fails to mention anything about cleaner emissions, much, much lower running costs, increased performance, tech improvements or any of the good stuff its just a hit piece from another person who has decided they hate EVs for no apparent reason.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:49 PM   #1536
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
The bit that made me go hmmmm was this:

"In other words, 2023 was a very good year – a year in which we turned opinion against electric vehicles"
Not exactly unbiased and even handed, is it?

It goes on to spout some shit about Audi not selling cars (theres still an 8+ month waiting list for any Audi EV here, we waited 9) and UK sales "plummeting" - EVs still account for 17% of UK new car sales, when sales in general went up 18% thats an increase, isnt it?

When he fails to mention anything about cleaner emissions, much, much lower running costs, increased performance, tech improvements or any of the good stuff its just a hit piece from another person who has decided they hate EVs for no apparent reason.
It’s called “conformation bias”. It’s the unwillingness and/or inability to process information that does not conform to your pre-held opinion. A lot of that going around on both sides of the EV issue.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 01-09-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:39 AM   #1537
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
That by and large is our social and political tendency in this country right now. That's why journalism is dead. We can't unfortunately remove politics from this discussion because they're connected. The shift to EVs is influenced by our government and social trends, even proponents of the technology can admit that. Those that hate government involvement in our lives and seek to minimize it, resent this shift. Those that love big loud powerful V8s also resent it. It's not rocket science that you'll find some of those folks here. For every bias article against EVs, we can provide you a biased article for them that ignores the downsides. Consider the source.

Now, despite all that, I am considering a Bolt for the wife now after the Blazer EV debacle continues. After rebate and GM card points, could be around 20k. Her use case is a commuter vehicle that can charge at home each night. Our only concern is size and the fact that it's on the old platform (could be a positive given the Ultium rollout). It's a much less expensive way to see if an EV works for us.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:03 AM   #1538
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
That’s ’confirmation’ bias, as in people seeking out information that’s confirms conclusions they’ve already made. As you said, there’s plenty of that going around for sure.
You’re right. Typo.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:25 AM   #1539
Capricio

Quote:
...Congolese prisoner child laborers rejoice! Your exploitation is coming to an end! Let mother earth reclaim those (well regulated, I'm sure) strip mines.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:40 AM   #1540
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Some facts, not hyperbole:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...tting-started/
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote