Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #43
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Tried it today. Does make for smooth shifts but not terribly noticeable especially if you know how to shift well.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #44
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgoeb View Post
... Besides, the laziness is real lol
No flame, but no surprises.

Have you stepped back into your DD after a weekend using ARM and found your own rev-matching to have been a little bit off yet?

Norm
Old 03-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #45
Kgoeb

Drives: 18 1LE, 12 Regal GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
No flame, but no surprises.

Have you stepped back into your DD after a weekend using ARM and found your own rev-matching to have been a little bit off yet?

Norm
Ah not really. I don’t drive my daily much anyways as I’m 5min from work so I don’t do it that much. First couple heel toes though weren’t too hot. I’ll chalk that up to getting used to the pedal feel in the Buick vs the camaro haha. And perhaps the -17C morning making the hydraulic clutch rather sluggish

Next time I drive the camaro I’ll try out manual rev matching and see how it is. I need to get used to the floor mounted pedal layout anyways as the Buick is hinges under the dash.
Kgoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #46
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
I'm sorry but why would you not turn it on. It's one of the best features of my manual Camaro.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #47
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martelds View Post
I'm sorry but why would you not turn it on.
(1) Because I'd rather do what it does all by myself (and I have had the opportunity to use it). It's more satisfying for me to always do this myself even if I don't always get the revs perfectly matched than to have it done for me by a machine that never gets the rev-match wrong.

(2) Because I'm not going to go out and buy one or two more cars just so all the cars I own will work this same way.

(3) There's something about having ~50 years of "muscle memory" that makes doing it yourself no harder than taking your next breath.

Norm
Old 03-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #48
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
(3) There's something about having ~50 years of "muscle memory" that makes doing it yourself no harder than taking your next breath.

Fair enough. I personally just love it. But it did take me 6 months before I tuned it on all the time. I personally love it. I get irritated when I don't turn it on.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #49
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I've been going back and forth, but now I turn it on most of the time. I'm fairly good at rev matching but can't think of a good enough reason not to use it. For me, it doesn't take away the fun of driving a manual and it's easier on the drivetrain.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #50
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
For me I get annoyed by having ARM enabled in stop and go traffic or approaching traffic lights so I leave it off most of the time. It just seems weird to be revving the engine as you are coming to a stop at a red light using the next lower gear to slow down on the approach vs the brakes. When I'm running it through a back road I love it, just wish there was a way to make it smarter.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #51
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Were the ARM is best is when doing a lot of down shifting, like 3-2-1, as in city driving and approaching a stop sign or traffic light. This ain't like driving my Nova with a Holley carb. On that you can down shift fast, with blipping the throttle and releasing the clutch and not locking up the rear tires. Try that on your late model Camaro without the Rev Match. The throttle response is to slow to do that manually. But with the rev match its totally smooth.

I will admit, At first I was like I don't need no stinkin' rev match. After I tried it, I realized that this is a must on this car, and works MINT.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #52
JR91

Drives: Camaro 1SS
I tend to keep ARM off the majority of the time. However, I do love how you can just dump the clutch and still get a smooth shift. For me, the car has to be in track mode to enjoy rev matching myself. If it is in any other mode, I find that I have to stab the throttle too much.
JR91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR91 View Post
I tend to keep ARM off the majority of the time. However, I do love how you can just dump the clutch and still get a smooth shift. For me, the car has to be in track mode to enjoy rev matching myself. If it is in any other mode, I find that I have to stab the throttle too much.
In fairness, that's the way the 1SS I drove had been set (this being done by its private owner) and doing rev-matching myself felt entirely natural. Then again, I'd probably drive it in 'Track mode' most of the time, anyway. Snow/slush excepted, ice/freezing rain = stay home.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-22-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #54
Spanky1

Drives: 2017 2SS Summit White Camaro M6
Personally, I use the ARM. I think some people don't use it because it lowers your mpg!
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote