Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Bennieficial

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro SS
Need help with rear speakers!

Let me start out by saying i'm not an audio pro by any means. I have a 2011 Camaro SS w/ the Boston Acoustics system (everything with the audio system is factory).

So one of my rear speakers blew and I ended up buying a set of Alpine Type R 6x9 speakers. Took it to this shop to install them. However, these speakers are sounding like crap. There is no bass to them whatsoever (sounds like tweeters). The only bass I have right now is coming from my front speakers. I'm thinking that the set of speakers are fine, but it could've just been how the shop wired my speakers up. Anybody have any ideas on why the rears are sounding terrible?

Also, I was eventually going to install a front set of Alpine Type R components speakers. Will I run into the same issue when I decide to install these?
Bennieficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennieficial View Post
Let me start out by saying i'm not an audio pro by any means. I have a 2011 Camaro SS w/ the Boston Acoustics system (everything with the audio system is factory).

So one of my rear speakers blew and I ended up buying a set of Alpine Type R 6x9 speakers. Took it to this shop to install them. However, these speakers are sounding like crap. There is no bass to them whatsoever (sounds like tweeters). The only bass I have right now is coming from my front speakers. I'm thinking that the set of speakers are fine, but it could've just been how the shop wired my speakers up. Anybody have any ideas on why the rears are sounding terrible?

Also, I was eventually going to install a front set of Alpine Type R components speakers. Will I run into the same issue when I decide to install these?
BEcause the rears are wired seperat from the factory. Youd have to change the setup
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
BEcause the rears are wired seperat from the factory. Youd have to change the setup
Change the setup how exactly? Do i have to get a new amp or something?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Replacing the rear speakers by itself won't increase you bass, you also need to swap out your amp. If you want some real bass, add a sub or two, and add another amp to power the subs. I have to same speakers, they're awesome, so don't blame the speakers, blame your installer.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Replacing the rear speakers by itself won't increase you bass, you also need to swap out your amp. If you want some real bass, add a sub or two, and add another amp to power the subs. I have to same speakers, they're awesome, so don't blame the speakers, blame your installer.
Right, I didn't think it was the speakers because I had the some ones in an older car of mine a while ago and I remember them being pretty good. So there's no way to make them sound good with this Boston Acoustics amp? Only way is to get a new amp? Do I have to get a new head unit too? Any amp recommendations that are a decent price? I don't want to spend a lot of money because all I wanted to do was replace the blown speaker. And I don't really plan on getting subs
Old 02-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
CreeperRS

Get a FARK kit. Sub thump .com
This is to add an amp, it's plug and play. Since the OEM speakers are 50w at 2 Omhs, the Alpine speakers require more watts, which is why they sound like tweeters. Again a new amp will do the trick.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
The reason you don't have any bass with your Alpine speakers is this:

The BA factory amp set up for the rear 6x9 is a bi-amped system. This means that the factory 6x9's have separate woofers and tweeters. The factory amp has built-in electronic crossovers and send low frequencies to the woofer part of the 6x9, and high frequencies to the tweeters, using separate amplifier channels for the factory speakers.

So, what your installer most likely did was connect the high frequency channels of the factory amp to your Alpine speakers...hence no lows being reproduced. The only way to fix this issue is to replace the blown factory speaker for a new factory speaker if you don't want to replace the factory amp, OR replace the factory amp and go with your Alpine aftermarket speakers.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Get a FARK kit. Sub thump .com
This is to add an amp, it's plug and play. Since the OEM speakers are 50w at 2 Omhs, the Alpine speakers require more watts, which is why they sound like tweeters. Again a new amp will do the trick.
Is this FARK kit required? Shouldn't my installer be able to do it without it? I'm trying to spend as least money as possible and it looks like the FARK kit is another $150 in addition to an amp
Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Bennieficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post

The BA factory amp set up for the rear 6x9 is a bi-amped system. This means that the factory 6x9's have separate woofers and tweeters. The factory amp has built-in electronic crossovers and send low frequencies to the woofer part of the 6x9, and high frequencies to the tweeters, using separate amplifier channels for the factory speakers.

So, what your installer most likely did was connect the high frequency channels of the factory amp to your Alpine speakers...hence no lows being reproduced. The only way to fix this issue is to replace the blown factory speaker for a new factory speaker if you don't want to replace the factory amp, OR replace the factory amp and go with your Alpine aftermarket speakers.

Any recommendation on a decent amp for these speakers? Or what specs am I looking for? I'll also be adding the type R component speakers in the front.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Quote:

Why couldn't he try to swap the rear channel wiring to the channels that are set up for the woofers, and let the highs come from his front tweeters? Might help the staging as well.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Quote:
...Took it to this shop to install them. However, these speakers are sounding like crap....

The BA factory amp set up for the rear 6x9 is a bi-amped system. ...
+1

Quote:
Is this FARK kit required? Shouldn't my installer be able to do it without it? I'm trying to spend as least money as possible and it looks like the FARK kit is another $150 in addition to an amp
FARK is generally not used by Pros as it can be a source of engine noise and frankly, a complete waste of money as any installer worth his salt can "build" their own in in a few minutes. The counter point of this is that same installer is going to charge you $100/hr for his time and bill you 1-1.5hrs to install an amplifier. They aren't $150 or anywhere near that. The 'add-a-amp' add on is only $69, no tax and even the full F-V3.0 was only ever $129.

Audio is as cheap as you want it, but don't be fooled, we're not talking about replacing a WAV file with an MP3 and everything sounds great for pennies on the dollar. Spending cheap money on audio gear and shops will almost always guarantee that you will receive junk gear installed by hacks that failed to even know that the Camaro rear 6x9's were actively bi-amped.

I feel your pain, but your shop hosed you. Even a cheap RF Prime amp, re-wiring rears and installation is going to be $300 minimum and a new shop will likely bill you another hour or two to reopen the rear deck and fix the first shops mistake. You're easily at $400++
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
have the FaRk along with 4Ch alpine, alpine mono amp,10inch Sub, SuB-ThumP shelf side enclosure, Doors are Polk DXI component, but have the stock rears still. Not an audio head either, just like it clear when it is loud and mine is, crystal clear to me at least

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
Why couldn't he try to swap the rear channel wiring to the channels that are set up for the woofers, and let the highs come from his front tweeters? Might help the staging as well.
I like this idea.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
CreeperRS

I had FARK complete system installed in my 2010 SS, as I didn't want to hack my wiring like some installers. I had no issues or alternator noise. Most people with noise issues usually ground to the battery, big no no. If done correctly there's no need to spend crazy $. FARK is $69, for the X3, the complete system (X2 +X3 + speaker adapters) is not being offered anymore, last I checked. Thanks for the clarification Jeffa.

Last edited by CreeperRS; 02-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.
CreeperRS is offline   Reply With Quote