Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
WarMachineZL1
War Machine

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey ZL1 #00012
Anyone Running Cutouts on a ZL1

Any one have electric cutouts installed on their ZL1. Looking for success or issues. Any recommendations welcome.
WarMachineZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachineZL1 View Post
Any one have electric cutouts installed on their ZL1. Looking for success or issues. Any recommendations welcome.
Start on post 31 with this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304262

I personally do not think there will be any horsepower gain at all from running a cutout on a supercharger boosted engine. Some backpressure helps the engine maintain boost pressure and keeps the power higher.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
SlingShot is. His sounds mean as hell
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm not sure about on a ZL1, however, on my full bolt on & cammed LS3, I saw 5 hp and 5 tq on back to back pulls just by opening my electric cutouts.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Some backpressure helps the engine maintain boost pressure and keeps the power higher.
This statement is inaccurate. Usable boost pressure is not positively affected by positive exhaust manifold pressure.

Ideally, the exhaust valve should be fully closed when the intake valve opens. So exhaust manifold pressure would be irrelevant during the intake stroke. If there is overlap in the timing between the closing of exhaust valve and opening of the intake valve, then only negative exhaust manifold pressure (vacuum) is benefitial. The optimal amount of vacuum needed in the exhaust manifold varies with engine speed.

Properly tuned headers are so valuable because they reduce the backpressure and heat that the exhaust manifold normally retains.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Ok well, I'll check that link "start with post 31," but do you put them just behind the cats?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Black ZL-1 Is Running In-The-Weeds System It Really Sounds Mean
Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Here is mine with Solo HF cats and QTP cutouts ...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Wow! What a difference when you closed them back up.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
I just recently installed the Noweeds Exhaust System. I contacted a dozen or so guys who did their install going back one, two, and three years. All gave it 100% satisfaction. No regrets and really no mechanical problems to speak of, even those that have had it over three years. Anyway here's a sound check video I just posted, not like the comedy skit posted earlier. Not the best quality, but it gets the point across. I like that I can go right back to the stock sound or run at a Pre-set, I set it at about I'm guessing 20% open. Wide open is seriously loud. Everyone will definitely hear you coming.
http://youtu.be/hSlYk6m5AVo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Here is mine with Solo HF cats and QTP cutouts ...

That's one Bad-Ass setup. Awesome sound!

Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Yes, just sounds pure bad ass when you lay on it!

This is short video I did on instagram

http://instagram.com/p/dkufvSDoWj/
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
This statement is inaccurate. Usable boost pressure is not positively affected by positive exhaust manifold pressure.

Ideally, the exhaust valve should be fully closed when the intake valve opens. So exhaust manifold pressure would be irrelevant during the intake stroke. If there is overlap in the timing between the closing of exhaust valve and opening of the intake valve, then only negative exhaust manifold pressure (vacuum) is benefitial. The optimal amount of vacuum needed in the exhaust manifold varies with engine speed.

Properly tuned headers are so valuable because they reduce the backpressure and heat that the exhaust manifold normally retains.
I hate getting into these debates and to be honest, I used to be one of the guys that said all exhaust backpressure is bad. I'm now on my third supercharged engine with an extensive list of mods and I can tell you that a boosted engine likes some backpressure. A turbo self regulates, the restriction produces the boost. Supercharger needs some help. It is a fine line... My car has the switch to run the muffler baffles open or closed. Clearly there is more backpressure running the exhaust through the full muffler but if the car makes multiple dyno runs you can't tell a difference between open and closed. It you run through a cut-out, it will be louder and sound meaner but the dyno is not going to show a significant change on a supercharged engine. I would even go so far to say that if you put on headers and remove the cats then hit the cut-out you will lose power because you won't have enough backpressure. If the stock manifold and cats are ahead of the cut-out they will give you plenty of restriction and you will be fine.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Normagene

I just tried No Lifting Shifting thru the first four and almost stayed close to red line/max boost. Yes with the diverters wide open. Crazy loud! My radar detector mounted on the windshield started to rattle! Ran her thru the gears like three times, quarter tank of gas pissed away in minutes. Probably averaged 2 or 3 miles to the gallon wide open in the red. Damn she's fast, oh yeah, and Loud!