Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Had it eight months, now I want to sell my SS.

After buying my SS, I loved it. I really thought I would keep it forever, then I arrived home. From the dealer to my house, I chipped the paint on the fender from a rock. After making a trip, my car looks like the front has been sand blasted. The paint quality on this car is so bad, Chevy admits there is only one coat of paint, and a coat of clear. You look at it wrong, and it scratches. I garage it, and come out going "Where did this come from?" I never drive it!!!!!

It is SO bad, I washed it, went to my dad's, and he said "Why does that camaro look like crap?" I told him I washed it. He called bs. He went, washed it himself, with me laughing at him the whole time. When done, he threw the bucket, and said "I would never buy one of those. That would just piss me off every time I looked at it." I told him "It does. I just gave up on the paint. Wax, wash, buff.....it doesn't matter what you do. It's horrible.

The power in the car is great, but some days it seems the car runs good, and breaks loose when you turn your head for a split second. Other days, just feels slow. This car is just simply way too heavy. Feels like the Challenger. It's bad when I have hated mustangs all my life, but the mustang.....feels the fastest.

Then there is the skip shift. The lying gauges. Tire pressure is off. Miles per gallon is ABSOLUTELY off. I got it to read 27mpg after my trip. Something is off there also. The nasty engine cover that is just pointless. The running lamps that are so cheap, Autozone sells the bulbs on the counter, seperate from the others, and it's right next to the Gumout at the register. The shifter that feels like you are shifting with a baby's head. The paint peeling under the spoiler. The frustration of trying to sync a phone to it. Parts are ridiculously expensive for this thing. It's like choosing between supercharging it, or buying another car! The halo headlights changing colors (which means they are about to blow out according to GM techs who replaced one on my car.) The cheap plastic grille that changes colors too. The body dings if it just touches against something (not like 4th gens that could take a basketball to the door.....did it with my 2000 Z28). Back seats only a three year old can get in. Visibility is so bad, most come with back up assist sensors. The most annoying thing of all. THE MOST ANNOYING THING....is you look around, and they are everywhere. So many, it just makes you sick to look at them. It has price gouged the new SS camaros to insane prices. That's the only good thing. Apparently my 2SS/RS is worth 28k on trade? Huh? Yeah...like a dealer will even come close to that.

Then, there is the stories. People who share their stories on here of getting a new SS for 30 grand. Yeah right. BS all day. The camaro used to be a car for people who were like me when I was younger. I didn't have much cash. I wanted no features, and a big engine. That's it. Now, it is more like a luxury sports car catering to all the old guys whose wives tell them they can't have that corvette.

So, what is good about the car? Why did I keep it for this long? To tell you the truth, it is simple. It may sound stupid, but to me, there is no better sound in the ENTIRE WORLD than an LS engine with full exhaust. It is worth all of the trouble. The handling is great, but traction control can go stupid without warning. The shifting, although the knob just HAS to go, is smoother than the challger and mustang. Feels just like my old one. I liked that. The sheer power is all this car has. The weight holds it back, which is more disappointing than getting a date with a blonde girl to find out later it's just bleached.

Now, to solve this issue, I have decided I will trade it if the right car comes along. I have always wanted a viper. I have always wanted a 911 porsche. I don't even want a turbo. Just a 911 is fine. When that opportunity comes knocking, I will do it. It's bad when Paxton's kit for a V10 viper is cheaper than the V8 camaro. It takes twice the time to put it in a viper and tune it right. Hmm. All in all, the camaro is great if you want an american car. In my opinion, it WAS the best of the trio. I will not buy a mustang. I refuse to unless it is a gotta have it green 5.0. Seeing as how they like to price those at around 38-40....umm, no. That's a used viper, or a 911. The truth has come out from yet another SS owner. Great car, ruined by problems. Not big ones, but so many little ones, you feel like you are baby sitting it constantly. I barely drive it, and every day, it gets more and more chips from dust particles floating in my garage I guess. Kids don't go in there. Wife doesn't either. SO, what is it? The paint job that is so bad, Kia feels insulted.

Come on 911. Come on viper. Give me something that will put a smile on my face while in it, and out of it. Driving a camaro will always put a smile on your face. Looking at it when you get out, or get done washing it, will wipe it clean off.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
xkloid
ITZ COOL

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
Just do it already and try and find the car that makes you happy. C Yah later.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
Don't cry buddy!!! I love my Camaro and I'm pretty sure 99% of the other people on here love theres also..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
My45thAnniversaryCamaro

Drives: 45th Anniversary
Cool story bro! You're the only one with those problems and it sounds like you deserve them haha
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Yep i got mine for 30 grand cash in my hand and couldn't be happier!
And to whoever is washing your car or waxing it, doesn't have the slightest clue to what they are doing!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Sorry man, but you know what they say about the door ...
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
GibbyGil

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
:Cry:
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
The only thing I agree with is the shifter. I didn't like the stock shifter feel so I got a Hurst shifter instead. Paint is a common issue on these cars too but I have no big complaints. I've been on many long road trips in my car and I only have 2 rock chips in the front. People complain about visibility too but it doesn't affect me because my mirrors are positioned correctly. I never look over my shoulder while driving.
Sounds like you are expecting too much from your Camaro. It's not a rare supercar.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Blackou7

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The only thing I agree with is the paint, the clear coat is easily scratched which is very disheartening, but I love my car and I dont let it get to me.

Maybe its just not right for you, im sure someone else will enjoy it
Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
I agree with you on the paint chipping under the spoiler; and the shitty paint job...but I wouldn't trade my car for anything =]
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
iceman5730
Iceman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT SC/RS CGM

Closed Thread