AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 11-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #29
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Like I said before. Why no strut tower brace on the ZL1???
That's why i posted the pics.

The only thing I could think is that it does not clear the SC, but I dont know.

is there additional bracing elsewhere?

"Is it needed or helpful?"
Old 11-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #30
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
They probably couldn't fit the regular brace in there due to the higher surface height of the supercharger lid. Unlike the 5th gen ZL1, the bean counters at GM nixed the idea of creating a new strut tower brace for the 6th gen ZL1.

I don't think "Al" is ever going to answer these so-called engineering questions. Out of all the questions that were up for "consideration" the last time, the forum voted on some stupid drive mode configuration on the 6th gen.

A question I know that will never get answered by "Al" is how the Alpha got smaller in the back seat area. From various info was able to glean from the internet, it had something to do with the rear firewall/bulkhead placement being located too far forward on the new platform.

Also, I'd like to know the aero numbers on the 6th gen and how that compared to the 5th gen. However, that will probably never get answered either. I think this whole "Ask AL" thing is a big gimmick on here.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #31
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
They probably couldn't fit the regular brace in there due to the higher surface height of the supercharger lid. Unlike the 5th gen ZL1, the bean counters at GM nixed the idea of creating a new strut tower brace for the 6th gen ZL1.

I don't think "Al" is ever going to answer these so-called engineering questions. Out of all the questions that were up for "consideration" the last time, the forum voted on some stupid drive mode configuration on the 6th gen.

A question I know that will never get answered by "Al" is how the Alpha got smaller in the back seat area. From various info was able to glean from the internet, it had something to do with the rear firewall/bulkhead placement being located too far forward on the new platform.

Also, I'd like to know the aero numbers on the 6th gen and how that compared to the 5th gen. However, that will probably never get answered either. I think this whole "Ask AL" thing is a big gimmick on here.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but we can't be accusatory or inflammatory in the way we "ask Al" our inquiries.

Lets try to keep the conversation on topic in here, but I am interested in your questions as well. Just have to start the thread and get the discussion started.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #32
Md2886

Drives: 2017 camaro 1ss coupe
Just added struttower brace and noticed the bolts i removed had some sort of thread sealant or thread locker residue on the bolts. Does anyone know what kind or color gm uses? What i do know is it was pink
Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This question (in the OP) was asked to Al and the Camaro Team.

Looking forward to getting a response, soon!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I hope the answer addresses a wider range of strut tower bracing possibilities than just the 2-point straight-across-the-engine kind.

Norm
Old 12-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #35
TLSTWIN

Hopefully we get some good answers. Especially now seeing guys with the bmr brace having rubbing issues on the hood.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #36
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
I vote for this question
wait and see.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #37
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Lots of people named Al in here.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #38
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Just thought I'd add this, someone ordered a 1LE with a STB.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=CAM
Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #39
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I see while trying to build a Camaro there is always an option to add a strut tower brace, is it really necessary or is it helpful for us that are track rats?
Just watch the record setting 1LE video at Nurburgring.

That should answer your question.

Btw, I'm available to fill in for Al during the Christmas Holidays.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #40
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Yep even long term flexing/fatigue of the strut towers
Now that it's been officially asked - that's not really what I was alluding to. It's more than reasonable to assume that the towers will not experience any fatigue failures pretty much regardless of how hard we hit them with bump and cornering loads short of actually crashing. Or taking it off-roading (kind of the same thing, actually).

What I was getting at was a matter of driver perception and confidence, where changing some of the structural vibration frequencies and moving their peak displacement points off to where they're less noticeable might be interpreted as the chassis being stiffer - a feeling that the car became "more solid" or perhaps "better composed". And things that improve driver confidence make it easier for him to extract more of the car's inherent performance, and do so more consistently.

That's where I think the main benefit lies in STBs added or applied to closed-roof cars being designed today, particularly those having much claim to "sportiness". This wasn't always the case; chassis torsional stiffnesses have commonly made 50% increases or better since about 2000, which in turn could have been double what they were 20 - 30 years before that. Most convertibles seem to be only half as stiff torsionally as their coupe counterparts, sometimes even less (I do have a list of chassis torsional stiffnesses).

I'm sure that there are slight actual benefits in response and cornering g's to be had by installing a 2-point tower to tower brace. Just like there would be by changing front camber from factory preferred to a tenth of a degree more negative. Important at the F1 or NASCAR Cup level, maybe at the very pointy end of autocross and time trialing. Down inside the noise-level of everything else that isn't 100% optimal for the rest of us.

Peoples' perception is a funny thing. Elsewhere - and currently - I know of a person who just installed an STB up front and a shock tower brace out back "just to match what was done to the front", and who was utterly convinced that just those mods actually reduced the amount of cornering roll. Same springs, same bars, same dampers, tires, and probably even tire pressures. Forum, username and car withheld to protect the guilty.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-22-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #41
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Peoples' perception is a funny thing. Elsewhere - and currently - I know of a person who just installed an STB up front and a shock tower brace out back "just to match what was done to the front", and who was utterly convinced that just those mods actually reduced the amount of cornering roll. Same springs, same bars, same dampers, tires, and probably even tire pressures. Forum, username and car withheld to protect the guilty.

Norm
LMAO

Same guy probably swears by 104 octane booster.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Not that bad.

I think he's just new to the worlds of structural analysis and chassis dynamics. Like the vast majority of forum members with no more than a few technically-oriented posts to their name.

Norm

Closed Thread