Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
TOONER

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
with the 5.3 i was going after the v8 should thats all i would never myself get a v6 but it could be a option for someone that can't afford a ss but wanting the v8 sound
TOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #16
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
If you think there are 150K cars just like your's out there, I have two suggestions for you:

1. Buy something a little flashier than Silver next time
2. You haven't modded enough
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
A Boss killer with a LS7 and a semi auto paddle shift trans would get me very excited.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOONER View Post
with the 5.3 i was going after the v8 should thats all i would never myself get a v6 but it could be a option for someone that can't afford a ss but wanting the v8 sound
That's completely and utterly pointless and impractical.

If you want a V6 to sound better, slap a new exhaust on. Dropping in a heavier, less efficient engine for the sole reason of getting "the V8 sound" is just stupid.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If you want a V6 to sound better, slap a new exhaust on.
That isn't going to do it. There are only two ways to make a V6 sound better: keep the RPM's above 5k or add 2 cylinders to it.....
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
That isn't going to do it. There are only two ways to make a V6 sound better: keep the RPM's above 5k or add 2 cylinders to it.....
Then buy a V8. By the time all the validation and engineering costs are factored into the Camaro's pricing, you might as well get a 6.2L SS instead of a 5.3L.

There is simply no point to offering the 5.3L.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #21
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Then buy a V8. By the time all the validation and engineering costs are factored into the Camaro's pricing, you might as well get a 6.2L SS instead of a 5.3L.

Folks forget that it's not just about marketing the horsepower that folks want. There is the good old government in there and cafe standards to fuel efficiency... lest we forget the monkey on our backs.

There's also a whole segment of people that want the looks and want fuel efficiency. There's a tremendous number of V6 models out there... and not just the Chevy's.

There's a lot of V6 Mustangs out there and a whole lot of V6 Challengers out there (though honestly on the Challenger... it's 1 MPG better than the V8 Camaro for 120+ hp less.... so honestly...what's the point of that one?)

Options are a good thing.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Anything weighing under about 700 lbs/liter of engine displacement has enough performance for many buyers. Maybe even most. Just for reference, 4000 lbs and 6.2 liters is down at about 650 lbs/liter (I'm thinking only NA here)

If the next gen could come in at or under 3500#, a 5.3L engine would be just about right power-wise for all those buyers. GM cut about 500 lbs out of their car lines 35 years ago, so it wouldn't be the first time.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:

Really?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOONER View Post
Not sure why the general is sitting back with the muscle car war thats in full swing . I know the ZL1 is a great car but what is there for selection with the camaro a v6 or a v8 and a ZL1. And whats up with a 1LE Camaro? GM has some great engines that are sittting around O like a LS7 (427) 5.3L (327) LSX (454) dear GM why can you not produce a SS 427? or even a SS 327 what about a Z/28? Maybe a LS9 Limited edition to take down the new Shelby

GM look at what your Customers are doing to the Camaro why don't you make the cars that we want . I have a 2010 Camaro SS and there is 150000 Cars just like mine it feels like there is nothing special about it anymore just like the 1980's the Camaro is getting to be a belly button car and they are all the same. Don't get me wrong the ZL1 is sweet car I live up in Canada where we pay $62000 for the mitty ZL1 it would be nice to get a SS 427 for about $50000 base price.

Am I the only guy out there that thinks this?

Don't get me wrong I love the General
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I find it funny whenever people say that GM isn't building the cars that people want.
Is that why for the last ~3 years the Camaro has been the best selling car in its segment?
GM is making cars that the majority of the people want. People like the OP and myself have become the minority of Camaro owners. 5th gen owners and new Camaro crowd are a bunch of parking lot, dyno queen enthusiasts. Look at all the high HP cars on this site. Most have never seen a drag strip. Also look at the gaudy accessories and so called "mods" that people do to these things. I don't know what happened, maybe it was transformers, but the Camaro is no longer the "poor man's Corvette". It's a cruise night darling. GM has found a cash cow by catering to these people and I don't blame them. It sucks but if you want the General's best you need to step up to the Corvette. I was never a "Vette" guy but it's the only choice if you want a good platform and an LS engine.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroshark View Post
Folks forget that it's not just about marketing the horsepower that folks want. There is the good old government in there and cafe standards to fuel efficiency... lest we forget the monkey on our backs.

There's also a whole segment of people that want the looks and want fuel efficiency. There's a tremendous number of V6 models out there... and not just the Chevy's.

There's a lot of V6 Mustangs out there and a whole lot of V6 Challengers out there (though honestly on the Challenger... it's 1 MPG better than the V8 Camaro for 120+ hp less.... so honestly...what's the point of that one?)

Options are a good thing.
The new 3.6 pentastar in the challenger is rated at 305 HP and 28 on the highway. You're probably thinking of the old (really old) 3.5L V6, that engine should've been replaced a long time ago.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
I dont think there is very much that GM can do at this point because of the GT500 with its 650+- horsepower, if GM ups the ante then they get into Corvette territory and I dont think they are willing to cross that line with the Camaro.

The ZL1 will be as far as the Camaro line goes. It would be a Corvette or bust versus the GT500.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
If you guys think this current HP battle will continue you're crazy. Not only will CAFE and the tree hugg........... err......... green movement end it there are the, almost certain, law suits that will result in someone getting bent out of shape. Wether it be safety, noise, or whatever.

You may wonder what I mean. Answer is I"m not sure. But you can bet with all this power running around out there from the factory that it will cause problems. Hell we are already being micro-managed from above anyway.

To continue to up the power puts us closer to 800 bhp. Sorry, that ain't happening.

As far as more options goes comes higher prices I think. I modded mine to be 'Different' so I really don't care what they do now but it is nice to be different and not have the same thing everyone else has. I'm glad we as a people were never satisfied to be like everyone else. Where's the creativity? It's our yearn to have more that has always kept us a step ahead as a country.

Quote:
Also, if there are hundreds of thousands of other Camaros out there that are exactly like yours, that's awesome. GM needs to sell as many as they can, exclusivity be damned.
I bought my car for my reasons. And helping GM was not one of them. Glad I helped but if I see something I like that's better I'll buy it. I do want to be different and unique and most people would too.

If it's a bad business move then that's one thing and I can't tell you if GM (or any other company) would do well or not to let customers 'buffet' their cars but it would be cooler than shit. Just probably cost a lot more even for lot cars.