Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Oil Leak!

I noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor a couple weeks ago. Ive been watching it as it grew. Christmas day it looked like this.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Spurshot

I rolled it up on the race ramps right away and found the Mobil1 filter had backed loose. It was still in contact with the seating surface, but didnt take much effort to loosen. It had less than half the oil life left so i pulled the filter and changed the oil. I put on a Wix XP and tightened it as tight as i could by hand, as i had done on the previous filter. Never had a filter loosen in hundreds of oil changes.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I rolled it up on the race ramps right away and found the Mobil1 filter had backed loose. It was still in contact with the seating surface, but didnt take much effort to loosen. It had less than half the oil life left so i pulled the filter and changed the oil. I put on a Wix XP and tightened it as tight as i could by hand, as i had done on the previous filter. Never had a filter loosen in hundreds of oil changes.
I had the same issue this year with an AC filter... I have also read where sometimes the rubber seal from the previous filter does not come off and causes problems. Glad you figured it out!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Sure you didn't find a body under there?

Same here. It's leaked every time I've changed it. I use the filter wrench to give it a little extra turn now. I just put Amsoil in, it has a way of wanting out wherever it can find a way anyway.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
You tightened it as tight as you could? Hope you got a GOOD filter wrench? Otherwise you'll be busting open with a screw driver to unscrew it. Lol

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
You tightened it as tight as you could? Hope you got a GOOD filter wrench? Otherwise you'll be busting open with a screw driver to unscrew it. Lol
Aslong as he put a little oil around the o ring gasket thing it should be fine

I can usually get mine off with a paper towel and elbow grease
Old 12-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Spurshot

Quote:
LOL, this ain't the first oil filter ive put on in 61 years. Usually nitrile gloves have enough traction to get them loose. But yeah, i have a few good filter wrenches. The screwdriver thing is not something I've needed since working on some old pos.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ssrs6man View Post
I had the same issue this year with an AC filter... I have also read where sometimes the rubber seal from the previous filter does not come off and causes problems. Glad you figured it out!
Thanks. I always wipe the seal surface on the engine and inspect it for the reason you mentioned.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
LOL, this ain't the first oil filter ive put on in 61 years. Usually nitrile gloves have enough traction to get them loose. But yeah, i have a few good filter wrenches. The screwdriver thing is not something I've needed since working on some old pos.
So you remember the screwdriver stabbed into the filter trick? lmao. Yea I've only done it on old vehicles. My truck filter was stuck pretty good. But my filter wrench is no prob. It depends on filter placement if I can just unscrew it by hand. Some there's just no way. But camaro is fairly easy. My truck? Not so much.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Spurshot, it’s funny how some of the people on here have plenty of knowledge to impart but most have never even looked at the bottom of their vehicles. Salesmen love to get those people in and talk blinker fluid and muffler bearings to them. I have never tighten an oil filter by hand that wouldn’t come off by hand with gloves or a shop rag.

I did have to use the screwdriver and a big set of channel lock on the factory filter of my Harley about 5 years ago. I have had the old filter gasket stay stuck as well and cause a problem.

Most folks don’t realize oil filter wrenches are for removing filters and not necessarily for putting the filter on unless you hand cannot reach the filter.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
It’s not like I put a 4’ cheater bar on the handle.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #12
Spurshot

Maybe i wasnt clear... i tightened my filter by hand, without a wrench, as tight as i could.