Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
LT1 Engine Manual / Guide from Chevy

Here's the installation manual from Chevy for the LT1, explains a lot about the engine:

lt1-crate-engine-dry-and-wet-sump-19328728-19329997.pdf
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
Toxicgoober

Drives: 2014 Maxima
I haven't seen that yet. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toxicgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Nice, thanks!
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
Kracka

Drives: 2021 Corvette Z51
Great info, thank you!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Ive seen it already I found it weird that the breakin is so much different from the owners manual version its on sheet 10
Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_zack View Post
Ive seen it already I found it weird that the breakin is so much different from the owners manual version its on sheet 10
That's because they are talking about a green crate engine with zero run time.

When buying as a complete car... the engine was run at the engine plant, run at the vehicle assembly plant, run at varying loads on the DVT test at the end of the line, run around the shipping yard, run around the rail yard, run around the dealership parking the car.... So, it has it's thermal cycles and varying loads already done.

The crate motor is going to be green tight. Need to give those parts the right loads and heat cycles to get to know each other.

If anyone ever says... drive it like you stole it from first key up... stop listening to them. You vary the loads, heat cycle it, and work your way up to max power.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If anyone ever says... drive it like you stole it from first key up... stop listening to them. You vary the loads, heat cycle it, and work your way up to max power.
Thank you. There are a few members on this forum who will swear you beat the engine to hell right out of the gate for proper break in.

Like I told them, it's their car they can do what they want, but don't tell others to do the same.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Thank you. There are a few members on this forum who will swear you beat the engine to hell right out of the gate for proper break in.

Like I told them, it's their car they can do what they want, but don't tell others to do the same.
Yup. They forget they're not solely breaking in the engine. They have an entire vehicle to break in.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Yup. They forget they're not solely breaking in the engine. They have an entire vehicle to break in.

And these cars, especially the SS, are very tightly wound cars. The transmissions, rear end/diff, suspension components, brakes are all tightly engineered. The prescribed break in procedures should be followed, then you can have a blast with it all you want.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
Quote:

When buying as a complete car... the engine was run at the engine plant, run at the vehicle assembly plant, run at varying loads on the DVT test at the end of the line, run around the shipping yard, run around the rail yard, run around the dealership parking the car.... So, it has it's thermal cycles and varying loads already done.

The crate motor is going to be green tight. Need to give those parts the right loads and heat cycles to get to know each other.

+1

It's funny how many people forget that they are breaking in an entire vehicle and not just the engine.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
neal_zack

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:

look I get that this a breakin guide for a create engine. but step 9 on sheet 10 is where its goes a little left field.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal_zack View Post
look I get that this a breakin guide for a create engine. but step 9 on sheet 10 is where its goes a little left field.
You said it yourself. It's a break in guide for a crate engine. They're not giving you instructions on how to break in the vehicle you're putting the crate engine in, they're giving you instructions on how to break in the engine.

If you were building a vehicle and were putting in a new rear end, transmission, and crate engine, I guarantee you the break in guides for the rear end and transmission are not going to tell you to install them and then do a few WOT runs. They need to be broken in differently. My friend has one that needs to be broken in gently for 500 miles before any hard driving / quick acceleration / burn outs / etc.

You have to break in all of that stuff on the 6th gen.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
priusowners

Drives: 67LincolnConv 71Cuda 65CorvairConv
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1DoubleN View Post
Here's the installation manual from Chevy for the LT1, explains a lot about the engine:

Attachment 766807
Sweet!
Try rhis link also:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=no

C/D Yet?
priusowners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
sdmcss

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE, 1985 MCSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
You said it yourself. It's a break in guide for a crate engine. They're not giving you instructions on how to break in the vehicle you're putting the crate engine in, they're giving you instructions on how to break in the engine.

If you were building a vehicle and were putting in a new rear end, transmission, and crate engine, I guarantee you the break in guides for the rear end and transmission are not going to tell you to install them and then do a few WOT runs. They need to be broken in differently. My friend has one that needs to be broken in gently for 500 miles before any hard driving / quick acceleration / burn outs / etc.

You have to break in all of that stuff on the 6th gen.
You said it perfectly!

I remember back in 09' when people were receiving 5th Gens. People were doing quick mods on the first week. Then, they would go out and do a launch control take off. Then ask humm "How did I destroy my rear end? It's a new car!"

People, Murphy's Quantum Law: If it can go wrong. It will.

Just break in the car, the way it should be done.
sdmcss is offline   Reply With Quote