Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
GM Lowering Kit

I was ready to pull the trigger on a BMR set up for my 16 2ss but hesitated after reading a post about a "bouncy" feeling with the stock shocks. I do not have MRC.

Does anyone have the GM Lowering kit? It is quite a bit more money but could be worth it........

Looking to lower the car a bit and maybe carve a few canyons, it is a convertible so I won't be tracking it. Just looking to improve stance and tighten up the handling a bit.

Any other recommendations?
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
One post by one individual with one opinion should be taken with the tiniest grain of salt.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
See this thread: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9831490

The engineers at Camaro Fest said the package was tuned together (lowering kit + stabilizer bar kit), so for max performance get them both.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
vtirocz

Also, now that it's a factory option for '18 SS cars, I'm hoping this specific combo referenced above is tested in magazine road tests.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
james duperre

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
thats alot of money for that combo, u could do buy every suspension part BMR makes for our cars for that price. I have springs waiting, but i read a post about it voiding Warrenty. that kinda scares me, i have less then 300 miles on the car lol
james duperre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I have the GM lowering kit. The bounce you describe is common with mismatched springs and shocks/struts, some kits use a progressive spring in the rear and don't match the shock curve well. Most people with the BMR springs tend to like them.

With that said, the GM kit, being factory engineered and tuned work as you would expect, same as stock behavior. Very well matched. Yes, it's stiffer, yes, you can feel it on the hard stuff, but 85% of the time it's no big deal. There's no bounce, good compression and rebound to the shocks. The way the SS should be from the factory.

Having driven a 1le the biggest difference I noted was the rebound. The MRC had it in spades over the non, but that's to be expected.

As for performance, most mags peg the 1LE at 1.05 on the 300 foot circle. On stock SS tires, stock alignment meant to save tires, BMR adjustable sway bars set at the softest, which I believe to still be stiffer than stock SS, how they compare to the 1LE I don't know. By the G meter on my HUD I've consistently pulled 1.03 which is about a .04 improvement over the stock SS. I think with better/wider tires I could match the 1LE. I just have the stiffer suspension 100% of the time.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Bigdave18629

Quote:
Originally Posted by james duperre View Post
thats alot of money for that combo, u could do buy every suspension part BMR makes for our cars for that price. I have springs waiting, but i read a post about it voiding Warrenty. that kinda scares me, i have less then 300 miles on the car lol
my warranty was done with my Maggie, but per the law a suspension change won't impact your engine warranty or other parts of the car....but it could creat a battle with the dealer.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
Bigdave18629

[QUOTE=glenB;9859034]I have the GM lowering kit. The bounce you describe is common with mismatched springs and shocks/struts, some kits use a progressive spring in the rear and don't match the shock curve well. Most people with the BMR springs tend to like them.

QUOTE]

How did you like the stance with the GM kit?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
glenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
my warranty was done with my Maggie, but per the law a suspension change won't impact your engine warranty or other parts of the car....but it could creat a battle with the dealer.
What law, the MMA doesn't apply to aftermarket parts that don't meet or exceed OEM parts, meaning the majority of performance parts.

There is a thread around here indicating the dealer denied a warranty repair to the steering rack because the car had aftermarket lowering springs. GM kit should meet or exceed OEM since it's manufactured by GM and can be installed at the factory.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Bigdave18629

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
What law, the MMA doesn't apply to aftermarket parts that don't meet or exceed OEM parts, meaning the majority of performance parts.

There is a thread around here indicating the dealer denied a warranty repair to the steering rack because the car had aftermarket lowering springs. GM kit should meet or exceed OEM since it's manufactured by GM and can be installed at the factory.
Steering rack would be an issue with lowering springs but to deny warranty there supposedly has to be proof that the parts impacted the cause of the failure requiring warranty work. Lowering springs would not contribute to a failed transmission and dealer is "not allowed" to deny warranty. This doesn't mean they won't try. My supercharger will get me on most mechanical parts to the level that it would be hard for me with the fight, but I did have warranty work on my convertible top even with the dealer knowing I had the Maggie, there is no way that they could prove the S/C contributed. There are plenty of threads on here that use the exact verbiage of the law, it is just a matter of what dealer you are working with and what battle you want to fight. GM will potentially deny warranty even if a GM aftermarket part is installed by anyone other than a GM dealer (remember reading this in some warranty docs). I think you could win the fight there, but at what cost.

At the end of the day, mods are fun but do create the potential for risk and at minimum aggravations. Worth it to me.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
glenB

Quote:
Steering rack would be an issue with lowering springs but to deny warranty there supposedly has to be proof that the parts impacted the cause of the failure requiring warranty work. Lowering springs would not contribute to a failed transmission and dealer is "not allowed" to deny warranty. This doesn't mean they won't try. My supercharger will get me on most mechanical parts to the level that it would be hard for me with the fight, but I did have warranty work on my convertible top even with the dealer knowing I had the Maggie, there is no way that they could prove the S/C contributed. There are plenty of threads on here that use the exact verbiage of the law, it is just a matter of what dealer you are working with and what battle you want to fight. GM will potentially deny warranty even if a GM aftermarket part is installed by anyone other than a GM dealer (remember reading this in some warranty docs). I think you could win the fight there, but at what cost.

At the end of the day, mods are fun but do create the potential for risk and at minimum aggravations. Worth it to me.
My point is that the MMA does not protect you against aftermarket parts that do not meet OEM specs. The MMA is designed to protect you when useing say Autolite plugs rather than the AC Delco replacement.

Because your dealer fixed the top doesnt really mean diddly. Have the radio go out after you installed some fancy LED sidemarkers and because of the CANBUS he can deny it because if that. Will he, probably not and could if he wanted. And no, GM doesnt have to prove squat. Theyll make you prove them wrong.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
Bigdave18629

Quote:
My point is that the MMA does not protect you against aftermarket parts that do not meet OEM specs. The MMA is designed to protect you when useing say Autolite plugs rather than the AC Delco replacement.

Because your dealer fixed the top doesnt really mean diddly. Have the radio go out after you installed some fancy LED sidemarkers and because of the CANBUS he can deny it because if that. Will he, probably not and could if he wanted. And no, GM doesnt have to prove squat. Theyll make you prove them wrong.

So, back to the one question I am really interested in since you have the GM kit, what do you think of the stance after the install? Do you have a pic?

I have read that many with BMR springs have seen varying levels of drop dependent on the install. While 20mm is less than BMR is claiming, I am wondering if the real difference between them is even noticeable. I am leaning hard to the GM parts at this point for the total engineering and fewer questions should an issue arise.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #13
glenB

Quote:
So, back to the one question I am really interested in since you have the GM kit, what do you think of the stance after the install? Do you have a pic?

I have read that many with BMR springs have seen varying levels of drop dependent on the install. While 20mm is less than BMR is claiming, I am wondering if the real difference between them is even noticeable. I am leaning hard to the GM parts at this point for the total engineering and fewer questions should an issue arise.
love the stance. I can still get in on a drive on lift or a two post without jacking it up.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
vtirocz

Quote:
love the stance. I can still get in on a drive on lift or a two post without jacking it up.
Could you post more pictures, please? One thing I am concerned with is if the wheels will appear to be more tucked in with the lower springs. How much lower is this setup than the SS 1LE? Do you know the spring rate difference between the lowering kit and the SS 1LE springs?

Also, thanks for the detailed feedback on the suspension kit!