Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #29
douglas2742

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS1 View Post
The article mentioned no tuning required - was this recommended by your dealership? If so, was the tune included in the price?

You are correct, no tuning required or needed - the MAF sensor adjusts automatically to the intake. I was told the "tune" is mentioned as a way to get people to buy the GMPP model instead of the identical one sold by CAI.
1SS, Recaro seats, A8 w/paddle shift extensions, NPP, Magnuson 2300 supercharger, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and x-pipe, factory handling kit, Phastek lowering springs, Alpine sound system w/JL sub, Lexani custom 21" wheels, Michelin Super Sport 4S tires, Bigwormgraphix striping, Chevy Performance Brembo big brake kit, darkened taillights and Remin carbon fiber dash kit.

douglas2742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #30
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I have looked at both and they are not the same part. The differences in the MAF tubes drive the need for a tune on the GM part and not the CAI.

Anyone who says they are identical is wrong. Sorry.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #31
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
So, in what reality does this product exist in that it's 50 state legal?

the gmpp intakes aren't.
the cai intakes aren't.

None of the non-turbo and non-supercharged intakes for any engine option for the 6th gen camaro are CARB compliant or exempt except drop in filters as far as I've seen.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #32
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
So, in what reality does this product exist in that it's 50 state legal?

the gmpp intakes aren't.
the cai intakes aren't.

None of the non-turbo and non-supercharged intakes for any engine option for the 6th gen camaro are CARB compliant or exempt except drop in filters as far as I've seen.
50 state legal http://thatcamaropartsguy.com/6-2l-g...eneral-motors/
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #33
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaunchOfficial View Post
Interesting, someone finally started adding that stupid carbon filter pad to the intakes to get it compliant. What's odd is that GM's own website still says their intakes are not CARB compliant.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/gen6camaro/intake

With any luck, some of the manufacturers of closed box solutions will do something similar with a little stick on carbon pad that we can retrofit and apply the EO number. Not holding my breath though.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #34
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
For what its worth:

I just spoke with my dealership service guy about cold air intakes in general, and the GM cold air intake + tune specifically. He told me that installing an aftermarket CAI system wont effect my warrantee and doesn't require a tune. But, what I found interesting is what he said about the GM CAI + tune. He said just because you buy the intake from GM and have a dealership install it and flash the computer, doesn't mean it wont void your warrantee! He said that the first thing GM has them do in the case of a failed engine or transmission is pull the computer calibrations, and if it has been tuned/flashed/changed from the factory calibration by anybody, including a GM dealership, they will usually deny a warrantee claim.

He basically said your better off to install an aftermarket CAI system and forget the flash of the computer.

His only caution was to use a dry filter system rather than an oiled filter because of issues that can be caused by oil residue getting through to the MAF sensors and throwing codes!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #35
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
For what its worth: He said that the first thing GM has them do in the case of a failed engine or transmission is pull the computer calibrations, and if it has been tuned/flashed/changed from the factory calibration by anybody, including a GM dealership, they will usually deny a warrantee claim.
Definitely don't go back to that guy!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #36
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
For what its worth:

I just spoke with my dealership service guy about cold air intakes in general, and the GM cold air intake + tune specifically. He told me that installing an aftermarket CAI system wont effect my warrantee and doesn't require a tune. But, what I found interesting is what he said about the GM CAI + tune. He said just because you buy the intake from GM and have a dealership install it and flash the computer, doesn't mean it wont void your warrantee! He said that the first thing GM has them do in the case of a failed engine or transmission is pull the computer calibrations, and if it has been tuned/flashed/changed from the factory calibration by anybody, including a GM dealership, they will usually deny a warrantee claim.

He basically said your better off to install an aftermarket CAI system and forget the flash of the computer.

His only caution was to use a dry filter system rather than an oiled filter because of issues that can be caused by oil residue getting through to the MAF sensors and throwing codes!

Lol wut? Call GM themselves and they will tell you it is covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #37
Camaross559

Drives: 2017 camaro 1ss
Any one has websites of carb legal cold air intake??? For California. I can't find anything.
Camaross559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #38
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaross559 View Post
Any one has websites of carb legal cold air intake??? For California. I can't find anything.

nope nada at this time !
Old 11-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #39
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I had this installed on and tune flashed by dealer almost over 2 years ago. I sold that car, was a non issue at the time and definitely didn’t affect my warranty from my understanding. Every dealer says something different but in the end.. go look up your coverages by vin on the Chevrolet app and you will know what you have. Anything else the dealer tells you is garbage if it’s a GM sold and the tune they put in is at their dealership? Come on now. You could be an idiot but whatever was done to your car was BY THEM at THEIR DEALERSHIP. Warranties cover that all day

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #40
shippingguy

Drives: 2024 Black ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaross559 View Post
You can no longer get it. Nobody is allowed to sell it per GM. I spent a lot of time on phone direct with GM trying to get one. When I placed my ‘22 1LE order it kept getting declined becaue I had the CAI on the order. Once removed car got accepted and built.

I live in CA. I spoke with Cold Air Inductions they make the one for GM. Their CAI is the EXACT SAME. The inside tube is designed different no tune is needed. I ordered and had it shipped to a friend in Vegas. When the car needs smogged I’ll just put stock back on.

Tags
cold air intake, gm tune, gmpp