Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Well...I bought this fifth gen to pay off and make a hobby car after I sold my GN. Haven't sold the GN yet...so this is a semi daily driver. If I get rid of the car in 2013, I'm going back to import or I'm going to a truck and keeping my fast car as a toy, not a daily.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #30
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Well they can keep there 6th gen, I will stick with my old pushrod ls3! A turbo v6 is not american muscle it's import talk, not interested. I hope not but the 5th gen could be the last Camaro as we know it, smaller car and a v6, might as well buy a 350z
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
As I always say when I see these threads about a TTV6 ... they don't make any sense as an offering as long as a naturally aspirated V8 can be fit in the engine bay. I've got nothing against them if the biggest engine the car can take is a V6. But as soon as a V8 is an option, the V8 becomes a better choice. I say the same thing about turbo 4's and NA V6's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Makes perfect sense to me to add this engine to the GM lineup...put her in trucks, cross overs, mid sized-SUVs, cars, and seeing it in the Camaro would be awesome too.

420 to 440 HP like the article is guessing is pretty easy with the 3.6. Most TT V6 guys here are running around 500 crank HP and thats only cuz the fuel can't keep up with more power...but there are solutions for that around the corner it seems.
That power range might be easy to accomplish, if power is your goal. But that is absolutely not the point of having a TTV6 like that from GM's perspective. The goal is fuel economy -think more Eco-Boast and less GTR. Because of that, boost will be restricted so that it probably produces something more like 375 hp. It might get up around 400 ft-lbs of torque.

Thing is, a next gen 5.3L V8 should be able to at least match that kind of output. It would also get comparable fuel economy, maybe a little lower by say 1 mpg. But, it would cost far less. Should weigh a little less too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post
They could never get rid of the V8 they could make a v6 with better hp and tq then a v8 and still people who need to compensate will complain about it not being a v8
Yeah...Some people still will need the extra 2 cylinders to compensate for their other....shortcomings.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #33
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Don't forget the sound, I've heard cars with an I4 puts out a better sound than a Chevy V6....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I don't want a throaty sound with a V6, there is not one modded V6 Camaro I have heard that sounds as GOOD or BETTER than a 350z/370z, they have the perfect grunt that any good sounding V6 should have.
You can make the Camaro V6 sound similar to a 350Z, or you can make it sound like a firebreather...your choice.

I encourage all of you to strap on some good headphones or listen to these through some decent speakers. Look, I will never say a V6 can sound just like a V8 because it can't...but these have the same type of growl and sound spectacular. Hell, I think the first one sounds better than many SS cars I've heard...just my .02.

I give you a few 'firebreather' examples. LTs and SLP Powerflow:

Here is a slightly more mellow version with LTs and magnaflow:

...and have you listened to the video of the Jay Leno TT V6 project? It sounded great unless for some reason the video equipment they used just made it sound more badass than it really is. Anyways, my point being that if GM really pays attention to the sound (which is very important because half of the SS owners bought it in big part because of the sound) they could sway a lot more people to give it a shot. If it sounds like a fart can, then its not going to do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Well they can keep there 6th gen, I will stick with my old pushrod ls3! A turbo v6 is not american muscle it's import talk, not interested. I hope not but the 5th gen could be the last Camaro as we know it, smaller car and a v6, might as well buy a 350z
and sorry but you sound like nothing more than a whiner. There is going to be a V8 option you can count on it...but don't throw a cry baby fit if they begin to offer a performance V6 and it happens to put the smack down on the V8.

In my mind, there is nothing more american than a big growly V8 pushing around a good looking muscle coupe, but times are changing. If we want the 'domestic' brands to keep upping their game and staying with the competition they are going to have to change. Get used to it.

Last edited by KMPrenger; 04-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #34
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
lol
anyway....I think GM offering a stout 6cyl mill is awesome. Don't get me wrong. I just want a v8 option, affordably.
My 3.8L 6cyl sounds badass compared to those two. LOL. 3" straight shot off turbo dumped at axle.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #35
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
If GM comes out with a twin turbo V6 for the Camaro, I'd seriously, seriously consider trading up. 'Vert, of course.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #36
happycamper

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
Gas at $6/gallon & you'll see V8s.. in the garage.
If gas gets to $6/gallon you'll see fewer cars on the road, period. I'll still out there though.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #37
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
GM will only take a V8 out of the lineup if they can't get it to meet the new fuel economy standards layed out by the gov. This is why I bought a 5th gen, because I think this will truely be the last V8 muscle car before we are all driving hybrids...

BTW, you see the same thing with trucks now adays too. Manufacturers are pushing the GVRW higher and higher to outrun the mpg and emission standards. Why else do you think Ford killed the Ranger?

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #38
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM has been developing a new DI V8 platform for a while. GM will not ditch the V8 when they have so much technology yet to throw at it to improve performance and fuel economy.

If GM is working on a force-fed V6, it's about time. We can't let Ford have all of that action, can we?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #39
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
GM has been developing a new DI V8 platform for a while. GM will not ditch the V8 when they have so much technology yet to throw at it to improve performance and fuel economy.

If GM is working on a force-fed V6, it's about time. We can't let Ford have all of that action, can we?
Can we just pray its not a drastically lower displacement like the 5.0 DOHC Coyote engine? 6.2L OHV DI pl0x.(says without knowing much about engines)

There is no replacement for displacement, right?

Last edited by Stealthpanda; 04-08-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: OHV***
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
Gas at $6/gallon & you'll see V8s.. in the garage.
Not gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Yeah...Some people still will need the extra 2 cylinders to compensate for their other....shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
Why else do you think Ford killed the Ranger?
Ford didn't so much kill the Ranger. It already died of old age about 10 years ago. Ford just finally pulled the plug on the life support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to say it.

Honestly, I don't get this TTV6s replacing V8s. I mean, I understand it from a marketing perspective....people have this notion in their heads that the TTV6 will be greatly efficient, and that V8s are old and wasteful, and in marketing perception becomes reality. And if Ford does it, GM has to do it because of perception alone.

The part I don't get is where are all the benefits for all the cost. From what I can tell, in the real world, downsized and turbo charged engines that maintain the same output of larger engines with 2 more cylinders only offer marginal fuel mileage increases if anything. Certainly not enough to justify the additional upfront cost. And for a buyer like me who keeps his cars for the long haul, the two $1500 each time bombs often referred to as turbochargers waiting for the day to blow a hole in my savings account is unsettling.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #41
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
Can we just pray its not a drastically lower displacement like the 5.0 DOHC Coyote engine? 6.2L OHC DI pl0x.(says without knowing much about engines)

Not sure about that...Ford seems to be doing awfully well putting out good numbers with the 5.0. Of course, the LS3 may have better mod potential.

GM could do pretty well with something between 5.0 to 5.5 lt especially with Direct Injection.

The thing is, once the weight comes down as it should for the 6th gen, even using the exact same amount of power would be a hell of an improvement. Calling for an SS with nearly 500 HP is really completely unnecessary.

Next ZL1 or Z28 should be the only model needing 500+ HP numbers.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #42
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
Can we just pray its not a drastically lower displacement like the 5.0 DOHC Coyote engine? 6.2L OHC DI pl0x.(says without knowing much about engines)

The new DI V8 will probably be downsized a little, but not a lot. I can say from experience that the 5.0 Coyote does just fine with its Ti-VCT. Admittedly, it does give up a little low-end torque compared to the LS3, but not much. And it gets 28-29 mpg with the cruise set at 70 on the highway.

And keep in mind that the 6th Gen Camaro will likely be downsized as well. You can be sure that the new DI V8 in the 6th gen will have at least the same, if not better, torque to weight and power to weight ratios.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote