#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #29
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut2006 View Post
It's a Flex Fuel sensor. Meaning you can run 93 and/or e85 and the stock ECU adjusts after the sensor is enabled in the tune. The e85 tables already exist and are setup.
How efficient is that compared to a full E85 tune?

If I am not mistaken, you'd add the sensor, load a "flex" tune in, and let the vehicle compensate accordingly?

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #30
17_zl1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedhead View Post

If I am not mistaken, you'd add the sensor, load a "flex" tune in, and let the vehicle compensate accordingly?
The same. The tuner fills in the tables for all the different ethanol percentages and the sensor allows the ECU to make adjustments, so whether you want to run straight E85, a blend or 93 only it will do it no problem. I drive my cars long distances and if it could have only been a E85 only tune I would not be doing it.
17_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #31
TheRedhead

Hmmm...

So the sensor allows for multiple fueling tables to be accessed at any given time?

I don't really drive long distances at all, and have E85 accessible pretty much any time, so on my Mustang I always ran the corn. Would have to reflash for a 93 tank.

Is this done through an HP tuner package?

Built!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #32
17_zl1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:
Hmmm...

So the sensor allows for multiple fueling tables to be accessed at any given time?

I don't really drive long distances at all, and have E85 accessible pretty much any time, so on my Mustang I always ran the corn. Would have to reflash for a 93 tank.

Yeah apparently the ECU has the parameters in there already from factory it just needs to be "activated" and then fine tuned. My question is on a basic bolt on car can we do straight e85, some tuners have said yes others no.
17_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #33
TheRedhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17_zl1 View Post
Yeah apparently the ECU has the parameters in there already from factory it just needs to be "activated" and then fine tuned. My question is on a basic bolt on car can we do straight e85, some tuners have said yes others no.
Thank you for the info! Definitely something to think about...

Built!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #34
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Hmmm...

Also, the amount of E-85 varies quite a bit from pump to pump so flex is really nice to keep it dialed incorrectly.

I ordered this one (delivered today) and should be going on this weekend. I'll report back with results.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #35
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Mike. You feel okay on track with it? Is there higher than 10% chance a tuner can create volatility here?

Standing by on this. Eager for your report.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #36
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Mike. You feel okay on track with it? Is there higher than 10% chance a tuner can create volatility here?

Standing by on this. Eager for your report.
I see no issues at all or I wouldn't be doing it. I also have a great tuner.

Doubt I will notice the extra 40 or so HP but should see a little improvement in track times and maybe some cooler temps.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #37
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Quote:

The Flex Fuel sensor is in-line with the tank pump near where it enters the high-pressure pump. It will monitor the ethanol percentage continually. The tables are then setup to adjust from 0-80% ethanol I believe with anything over 80% having no impact (no added timing or fuel). The tables sit on top of the base 93 tune. So if you have 5% ethanol in the fuel, it basically adds no extra timing or fuel to compensate, but from there it adds and adjusts the fueling and timing if additional ethanol is registered. Think of it as a volume knob on an amplifier except instead of getting louder, it makes more power.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #38
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut2006 View Post
The Flex Fuel sensor is in-line with the tank pump near where it enters the high-pressure pump. It will monitor the ethanol percentage continually. The tables are then setup to adjust from 0-80% ethanol I believe with anything over 80% having no impact (no added timing or fuel). The tables sit on top of the base 93 tune. So if you have 5% ethanol in the fuel, it basically adds no extra timing or fuel to compensate, but from there it adds and adjusts the fueling and timing if additional ethanol is registered. Think of it as a volume knob on an amplifier except instead of getting louder, it makes more power.
Well explained. Thank you

None of my tracks have E85 at the pumps so this is good to understand (for days I am not hauling the trailer to the track with extra fuel).
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #39
dil2502

Drives: 2017 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Also, the amount of E-85 varies quite a bit from pump to pump so flex is really nice to keep it dialed incorrectly.

I ordered this one (delivered today) and should be going on this weekend. I'll report back with results.
Mine was delivered today, let me know how the install goes, I don't know if I'll have time to tackle mine this weekend so any little tips you have would be great; like where you are gonna route the pin to the ECU. Gotta keep it clean lookin!
dil2502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #40
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
This is great for 6th Gen owners only needing the Flex Fuel Sensor...For the 5th Gen the cost could be as high as 3k for a proper system installed...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #41
dil2502

Drives: 2017 NGM ZL1
Got my sensor on over the weekend. Went in like a breeze, I wish their cable that ran to the ECU was a bit longer so I could have hidden it a little more but it is by no means too short.
dil2502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #42
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dil2502 View Post
Got my sensor on over the weekend. Went in like a breeze, I wish their cable that ran to the ECU was a bit longer so I could have hidden it a little more but it is by no means too short.
Thanks for the feedback. How much longer would you prefer it to be? I can swap out the harness with a longer signal wire version if you'd like. PM me to work out the details. I'm glad it went in easy for you... That's been my goal: to provide the easiest installation out there.

I guess I haven't watched Camaro6... haha. I'll have my low side pump kit available soon as well for you guys. I've been working with HPT to get some functionality added to the ECM that'll make the kit work better as well. Stay tuned.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote