Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #29
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Yours has the same as mine. I also added a topper layer of hydrophobic coating.

Side question, how are you liking the Michelin's compared to the Goodyear's? I'm modded with 650rwhp/700tq and the Goodyear's do not like it!
So far I've been very impressed with the PS4Ss. They give a smoother ride with less noise than the GYs. They also seem to heat up a little faster than the GYs. Grip in cold temps seems better as well. I haven't driven them in the rain or ambient temps above the 50s yet. Those will be the next big test.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #30
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
My ZL1 will be showing up in the next couple months and I want to have it protected before driving her around. I know both products pretty well but I'm wondering about which is the best way to do it.

Having the whole car done with Xpel can be extremely expensive from what I've heard, somewhere around $5000 or sometimes more for an entire vehicle job.

I've been wanting to get one of my vehicles ceramic coated and this might be the one. I was quoted about $550 for a full polish and 2 year CQuartz application. I have a buddy who we share business with that does Xpel application and I haven't asked him yet what it would run to do a front end or whole car.

At this point I'm thinking:
Xpel on the Front End, Splitter, and Hood, possibly on the rear fenders as well.
CQuartz over the entire thing.

I may just get the Xpel done on the above areas and then just apply a 6 month sealant that I use on my other vehicles which has always done a great job for me in the past. Also would be interested in hearing the cost of having the wheels ceramic coated.

What's your experience and what has it costed you?
I haven't had any PPF or coatings put on my car yet but I wish I had. One autocross event early last year left cone marks and scratches (one deep) on the small panels just in front of rear wheels. I thought maybe I could just pop them off and have them repainted. Turns out these small panels extend under the doors just above the rockers so there's a lot more work than I thought. The local paint shop who did my hood insert was able to buff out all but a small part of the deep scratch. Now I'm skiddish about doing autoX and road tracks 'til I get a PPF at least on the high abrasion areas.

It seems like most of you are using or considering Xpel PPF. From what I've read and after viewing some comparisons, it seems to me that the newest 3M Scotchgard Pro (8mm) films stand out in terms of self-healing and scratch/chemical resistance. Last August I did some research on films and coatings so I thought I'd share what I found.

A Comparison of New 3M Scotchgard Pro Series, XPEL Ultimate PPF & SunTek PPF

A detailed description of Paint Protective Films in general with specific guidance on chemical (nano) coatings with PPFs.

Pros and Cons of Clear Bra Paint Protection Film
Posted by James Detmer on 03.10.12
Updated 06/13/2017

I can't afford the thousands of $ to get a pro shop to do it at this point so, after watching a few YouTube videos I feel like I could do this myself in a friend's large garage if I took my time. The downside of this is that you don't get the 7-year 3M warranty without a professional installation. However, with an actual life expectancy of at least 7 years and the reviews I've seen I doubt I'd need it.

[Installation Demos and Tutorials]

This one specifically features the newest 3M film. He uses a bottle of pre-mixed solution of alcohol, distilled water, and baby shampoo.

3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film Pro Series Installation Demo

The next two videos from "Install Proz" show installation of custom cut pieces and a pre-cut kit. I like this one because he gives details about tools and materials you might need. One person in the remarks has done this and suggests using a whetted vinyl shower curtain to create a pattern for areas with curves and irregular shapes.

Custom cut from bulk rolls:

How To Install Clear Paint Protection Bra Hood and Fender Kit

Pre-cut kit:

How to Install Computer Cut Paint Protection Film Kit

[Bulk Roll and Kit Pricing]

I priced out kits and bulk rolls after taking a few measurements on my car. Reading the Amazon reviews offer some additional insights. To cover rocker panels, section just in front of rear wheels, and directly behind rear wheels I figured it would cost less than $250 including film, tools, and materials. These are the areas where I've observed wear and/or damage. You can find several different size rolls but I was unable to find anything wider than 30 inches, not quite wide enough for doors, entire hood insert, or roof.

Two of these (1 per side) for 1 rocker panel and 1 flare panel in front of rear wheel

$86.75
3M Scotchgard PRO Series Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-108-inches

Two of these for bottom trim (bumper) behind each wheel:

$18.00
12" x 24" Certified Genuine 3M Scotchgard Pro Series Paint Protection Film Bulk Roll Clear Bra Piece

This kit might be next. It comes with all the pre-cut pieces for the 2017 ZL1 front facia, hood, mirrors, headlights, etc. I haven't decided whether I'll get this yet.

$288.98
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 2017 3M Scotchgard PRO Series PreCut Paint Protection Film Clear Bra Kit

Anyway, just thought I'd share what I found in case it might help others.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #31
blk04sr

Drives: N/A
I just got my ZL1 too, when talking to my coating installer (he does Modesta) said that most people coat the car and xpel the just the portions that will get the rock hits. My coating install uses suntek which is thinner than the xpel. They have their positives and negatives, its all about time and money sometimes. Personally I want to at least do the film protection roughly $1500 in suntek for critical areas, I am on the fence about the coating as it will be around $1900 with a stage 2 paint correction to make it shine and get the swirl out. My truck is black and I coated it, which was the best move I ever did, all I have to do is wash it air dry it and done!
blk04sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #32
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Good discussion so far. Hopefully more people than just me will find it all useful. My car is at Status 3000 right now. When she gets here she'll be going right to the PPF shop for front facing areas or rock vulnerable areas and then either a Ceramic Coating or just a Sealant.

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 02-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #33
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk04sr View Post
I just got my ZL1 too, when talking to my coating installer (he does Modesta) said that most people coat the car and xpel the just the portions that will get the rock hits. My coating install uses suntek which is thinner than the xpel. They have their positives and negatives, its all about time and money sometimes. Personally I want to at least do the film protection roughly $1500 in suntek for critical areas, I am on the fence about the coating as it will be around $1900 with a stage 2 paint correction to make it shine and get the swirl out. My truck is black and I coated it, which was the best move I ever did, all I have to do is wash it air dry it and done!
If you just got your car, stage 1 paint correction should be all you need before applying any film.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #34
blk04sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
If you just got your car, stage 1 paint correction should be all you need before applying any film.
Maybe, my truck needed stage 2 correction for the coating and it turned out way nicer.

If I only apply film I will do stage 1 paint correction.

My ZL1 is black too so who knows how bad it might be swirled already.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #35
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk04sr View Post
Maybe, my truck needed stage 2 correction for the coating and it turned out way nicer.

If I only apply film I will do stage 1 paint correction.

My ZL1 is black too so who knows how bad it might be swirled already.
My car is also black. It had less than 600 miles on it when I had the correction and film applied. I probably washed it three times prior. All the paint damage was the very fine surface variety easily removed with a good polish. Don’t know that i’d get overly aggressive with the correction If I didn’t need to. These cars don’t come with a whole lot of clear from the factory.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #36
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=50

Total cost was 3750 before taxes for xpel in impact only zones, 3 coats of opticoat including wheels, paint correction and tint.

He tried to do the grill but said it didn’t look good, so -150 from the price of the front in that post.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #37
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I used this before events now:

http://www.roadwarriorplus.com/default.asp

Roll it on thick! Peel it off when done...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #38
2drstunner

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post

-Don
Was gonna comment the exact same thing. If your looking for a temporary coating there’s nothing better IMO.

Roll it on thick, it will protect everything you cover and peel it off when done.
2drstunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #39
blk04sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
My car is also black. It had less than 600 miles on it when I had the correction and film applied. I probably washed it three times prior. All the paint damage was the very fine surface variety easily removed with a good polish. Don’t know that i’d get overly aggressive with the correction If I didn’t need to. These cars don’t come with a whole lot of clear from the factory.
Thats good to know, I havent dont anything to the car yet...not even a wash. I think the dealer washed it and thats about it for now.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #40
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post

-Don
I like this idea! Thanks for the link.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #41
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I did Xpel for the full nose of my ZL1 including the exposed carbon fiber and mirrors. $1,750. Rockers up to the crease in the door added another $400. Then I did Ceramic Pro Silver over everything for a bit over $750.

This set up has worked great for over 10K miles and some extreme winter action. It cleans up great with no swirls, chips, etc... yet.

I would do this again in a minute. Xpel over everything is an overkill.

The ceramic coating adds a hardness and resistance to scratches that they stock paint does not have. It also makes the wheels easier to clean when brake dust gets on them.
Attached Images

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #42
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I did Xpel for the full nose of my ZL1 including the exposed carbon fiber and mirrors. $1,750. Rockers up to the crease in the door added another $400. Then I did Ceramic Pro Silver over everything for a bit over $750.

This set up has worked great for over 10K miles and some extreme winter action. It cleans up great with no swirls, chips, etc... yet.

I would do this again in a minute. Xpel over everything is an overkill.

The ceramic coating adds a hardness and resistance to scratches that they stock paint does not have. It also makes the wheels easier to clean when brake dust gets on them.
Woah! That poor girl has been "rode hard and put away wet!" I can only imagine what things look like underneath too. So this is the before picture. You gonna post the "after"?