Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I am referring to mods to the borla mid x pipe to fit the OEM muffler, doesn't matter if the OE is NPP or not. The forward section of the OE Muffler has 2 rigid pipes that go under the rear end (they are crushed from the factory). The rear part of the borla Xpipe (its all one piece and 1 part of 4 ) that make up the borla system. That rear part has to attach to the two rigid pipes of the muffler, the borla and the mufflerpipes are the same diameter so the borla piece has to be expanded so it now slides over the OE pipes and clamped. The other issue is the spread of the Borla pipe is not the same as the OE muffler pipes and that has to be damn close. So I had to spread the Y section with the help of a floor jack and some wood and another person to operate the jack doing it all on the floor. It will spread with out any damage what so ever to the borla piece. You also need to precise on the cut before you remove the OE mid pipe to allow for the correct overlap of the borla slide over area.
So, I'd need to do some pipe end expanding on the borla Xpipe ends to fit over the OEM mid pipe ends and spread the Y end to get it to mate to the OEM muffler?

Sounds like the cut off of the OEM mid pipe is the key. Any idea what the measurement was of how much original muffler mid pipe you had to leave?
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
So, I'd need to do some pipe end expanding on the borla Xpipe ends to fit over the OEM mid pipe ends and spread the Y end to get it to mate to the OEM muffler?

Sounds like the cut off of the OEM mid pipe is the key. Any idea what the measurement was of how much original muffler mid pipe you had to leave?
I did this on a lift. While under the car with the entire original system intact, grab the rear borla section and you can place it exactly where it goes( you will be placing it under the original system) and also where it goes into the hangers and make a mark on the OE pipes to cut being long enough to go into your expanded ends which are about 2 inches deep.

Yes and exactly correct is my response to what the mods are needed to the Borla piece.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #17
lt4camaro

Quote:

BTW, there is some wiggle room back at the entire suitcase muffler assembly. The hanger arms have at least 1.5 inches of front to rear slide room that you will see and appreciate when you are there getting the rear borla piece to slide over the OE pipes and have it all where you want it to hang.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
BTW, there is some wiggle room back at the entire suitcase muffler assembly. The hanger arms have at least 1.5 inches of front to rear slide room that you will see and appreciate when you are there getting the rear borla piece to slide over the OE pipes and have it all where you want it to hang.
This is all great stuff! Thank you very much for your insight, looking forward to tackling this mod!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #19
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I am referring to mods to the borla mid x pipe to fit the OEM muffler, doesn't matter if the OE is NPP or not. The forward section of the OE Muffler has 2 rigid pipes that go under the rear end (they are crushed from the factory). The rear part of the borla Xpipe (its all one piece and 1 part of 4 ) that make up the borla system. That rear part has to attach to the two rigid pipes of the muffler, the borla and the mufflerpipes are the same diameter so the borla piece has to be expanded so it now slides over the OE pipes and clamped. The other issue is the spread of the Borla pipe is not the same as the OE muffler pipes and that has to be damn close. So I had to spread the Y section with the help of a floor jack and some wood and another person to operate the jack doing it all on the floor. It will spread with out any damage what so ever to the borla piece. You also need to precise on the cut before you remove the OE mid pipe to allow for the correct overlap of the borla slide over area.
Or, get two of these and call it a day. No need to expand anything...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1176
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #20
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
Or, get two of these and call it a day. No need to expand anything...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1176

That is a good alternative, didn't know butt clamps were made. The 2.75 size is what the ZL1 needs also. The cut off of the OE needs to be very close and the spread has to be dead nuts.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'm thinking of going Borla 60606 (Deleting secondary cats) and bolting that up to the Corsa Xtreme system, which has been proven to fit now via Phastek. Anyone running this or have any experience with the 60606 installed with no tune, check engine light or other issues?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #22
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You won’t get a CEL from deleting secondary cats. There are no sensors associated with them. I’ve done this on multiple brands of vehicles with no ill effects.

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #23
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I'm thinking of going Borla 60606 (Deleting secondary cats) and bolting that up to the Corsa Xtreme system, which has been proven to fit now via Phastek. Anyone running this or have any experience with the 60606 installed with no tune, check engine light or other issues?
I like this setup too. You have an a10 so you will have the afm valves, you will have to delete or I belive borla has a version of that pipe with afm valves.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #24
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmillion View Post
I like this setup too. You have an a10 so you will have the afm valves, you will have to delete or I belive borla has a version of that pipe with afm valves.
No AFM on ZL1s. Unless you mean NPP valves?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 AM   #25
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
Awesome, I haven’t been under the car yet that saves me some dough.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 AM   #26
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Just ordered the 60606 and butt end clamps. It'll likely be mid-March before I can get it installed but it seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks LT4 and Jerome!

Now, if I can figure out how to measure the sound wavelength I'd like to do a before and after sound comparison...
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #27
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Just ordered the 60606 and butt end clamps. It'll likely be mid-March before I can get it installed but it seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks LT4 and Jerome!

Now, if I can figure out how to measure the sound wavelength I'd like to do a before and after sound comparison...
Rudimentary it may be but there are apps that measure decibels that work pretty good.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #28
Can'tHave2MuchHP

If I was bolting the 60606 to the Corsa system, would I need to order any specific clamps in addition to those two items? No right because the 60606 just replaces the factory placement of the exhaust that the Corsa is already equipped to clamp to?