Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Desert Drifter

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
New Camaro, paint sealant?

I have a new 2018 Camaro, just at 1000 miles today. I want to clean it and apply some paint sealant before it gets swirly and road wear. The Dealer I bought from says they do sealant every 6 months, some BS that I could not opt out of at time of purchase.

Should I let the dealer monkeys run their dirty polisher all over my car or just sacrifice the money I paid for them to do it and do it myself? I'm not one to keep my car spotless at all times, but I do want to prolong paint life and keep it looking good as long as possible. Car is garaged and driven a few times a week.

Let me know what you think on my new, undamaged paint. Red Hot color BTW.
Desert Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Don’t let them touch it. You just read the reload essence thread… Do A search or look around, a lot of us are using that. It is absolutely the latest high-tech big dog combo out there and the easiest thing to use right now. Read this whole thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=Essence
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I would eat it and do it myself. Too bad most dealers will tell you anything to make a buck!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Run from the dealer as quick as you can! Don't let them touch your car, like mentioned above try doing it on your own, very easy to do.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I let the dealer, "detail", my car and it looked like crap. Got it home and had to wash, decontaminate, clay, wash, polished, then applied CQuartz UK, and the car looks AMAZING. It looks like I put a screen protector over the whole car lol. It was a long process but well worth it and only cost $150 in supplies.
Attached Images

11/30/17 | Club F1FTY
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy01438 View Post
I let the dealer, "detail", my car and it looked like crap. Got it home and had to wash, decontaminate, clay, wash, polished, then applied CQuartz UK, and the car looks AMAZING. It looks like I put a screen protector over the whole car lol. It was a long process but well worth it and only cost $150 in supplies.
How much of CQuartz UK did you use? I seen different sizes on amazon.
How did you decontaminate it?
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
I lucked out when I caved in to let them do the ceramic coating...the dealership ended up being too busy so they farmed my car out to a well respected guy in the area. So I had a legit ceramic coating done by a real detailer for the cost of the dealership's crappy guys.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Don’t let the dealer touch the car. Do what Glen said.

If you can afford paint protection film, do it. Then put a semi durable hydrophobic coating on the car (Gtechniq EXO or similar) and use dilured Reload as a quick detailer. My red hot paint arrived soft and thin, but beautiful. I am glad I did film, ceramic coating, hydrophobic coating, reload. If I were to repeat, I’d film the whole car and skip ceramic coating on the paint (yes to ceramic for wheels) and just do the EXO and Reload.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attach...1&d=1506395878

Last edited by Gunkk; 12-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
They'll charge you $600 for paint sealant that's equivalent to Meguiars that you can pick up at an auto parts store. Do not get bent over by the dealership.

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
The Dealer I bought from says they do sealant every 6 months, some BS that I could not opt out of at time of purchase.
I seriously can't believe you fell for that. You NEVER let a dealer tell you "you can't opt out", "you can't do (insert whatever rip off garbage)"

You should have told them you're not paying for it or tell them to shove it up their arses and they can keep the car. Good Lord. I'd have probably come very close to punching the finance guy if he pulled that shit with me.

What is the dealer's name?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
I like to never let dealer touch car besides PDI. Less damage to clear coat.

Once I have car home spray entire car with soap including rims and wheel liners.
With new tire brush or inexpensive wash mitt clean that area.
Spray entire car again starting at top.

Then pour high level surfactant such as dawn-non diluted on car with quality soft wash mitt two bucket method with grit guards. Wash from top down rinsing with soap and cleaning upper portion only in one direction Never circular motions. Lower area last different mitt.

Afterwords I rinse with plain water and using a new wash mitt I lather the exterior one panel at time with with iron x. Once car is completely done with iron x rinse or with iron x soap again using a different mitt to wash the exterior again with dawn.

Then dry car with electric blower or master blaster. Pull into enclosed area with quick detailer clay the entire vehicle with clay bars first then followed by clay rag fine this this includes windows but no plastic with clay bar etc.

Rinse and dry car again now visual and palpate exterior to ensure no containment’s remain.
Use light find and correct and swirls in Clearcoat.

Spray off dry then to car pro eraser or diluted alcohol using new high quality microfiber towels with each step.

*****Now can apply nano coating.. I use opticoat works best for my liking one the entire-car except glass coat that with glass sealant. ****

If car is getting PPF I HOLD OFF ON NANO COATING till post application of ppf then get areas that are not covered.

I removed rims and clean calipers very similar as above and opticoat them.
Then years of shine and protection with little to no maintenance.

Separate bucket for wheels and tires

THIS WOULD BE MY RECOMMENDATION MATERIALS ARE 150-200.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
How much of CQuartz UK did you use? I seen different sizes on amazon.
How did you decontaminate it?
I went to autogeek.com

They have a CQuartz UK 30 ml kit, Iron X, Eraser, and essence plus all by CarPro. I ended up using 75% of the bottle to do the entire car, windshield, plastic trim, everything. IronX was the decontamination process. My car had 500 miles on it and the IronX still turned purple exposing the iron sediments. When you apply the reload, after the CQuartz, dilute it 50% with water for darker colored vehicles. The directions are self explanatory!
Attached Images

11/30/17 | Club F1FTY
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy01438 View Post
I went to autogeek.com

They have a CQuartz UK 30 ml kit, Iron X, Eraser, and essence plus all by CarPro. I ended up using 75% of the bottle to do the entire car, windshield, plastic trim, everything. IronX was the decontamination process. My car had 500 miles on it and the IronX still turned purple exposing the iron sediments. When you apply the reload, after the CQuartz, dilute it 50% with water for darker colored vehicles. The directions are self explanatory!
Nicely done....... if you decide to Coat ....… This stuff it’s not hard at all if you read the instructions and watch a bunch of YouTube videos. No major skill needed if you follow the instructions. It’s basically a wipe one, wipe off process. If you want to up your game, put the essence on with A random orbital polisher and foam pad.But great results come for the novice, doing the whole thing by hand also.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
ShaBoom

Drives: 2017 2SS
All you really need to do is clay and wax the car.
Run your hand over the paint, do you hear any friction? If so, you need to clay the car, even on a new car depending how long it's sat in the elements before purchase.
My summit white 2107 SS required it badly. Dust and pollution here in Vegas is bad and contaminants stick to new paint easily. You will be shocked how smooth your paint will be after the clay.
After that any quality wax will do- the hardest is Liquid Glass. Two coats of LG and you're good to go for a long time.
This is the very best care you can give your new cars paint.
This is coming from a paint and body guy.