Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #43
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTBIKES View Post
How are you doing with the 325? Have you had the on the track? They do look similar to these 305s with this cut I have. My guess is that the wheel has different measurements then the MRRR, but when they cut them, they used the same offset. These were the first time to be fitted to the Camaro.
I've been using my car primarily at track (very low street miles) and quite happy with the 305/325s. Rear end gives a lot more confidence on corner exit. I just need stiffer suspension to accommodate the additional grip as it feels like there's too much grip for the current suspension (limiting factor for the new available grip) and as a result it's only marginally better than the OEM setup because of that.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #44
SPORTBIKES

Drives: 1967 Firemaro / 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I've been using my car primarily at track (very low street miles) and quite happy with the 305/325s. Rear end gives a lot more confidence on corner exit. I just need stiffer suspension to accommodate the additional grip as it feels like there's too much grip for the current suspension (limiting factor for the new available grip) and as a result it's only marginally better than the OEM setup because of that.
So.. you are running the track with that amount of poke and you have not experienced and rub?

2017 Camaro 2SS
2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
1975 Supercharged Corvette
1967 Firemaro Show Car - For Sale
SPORTBIKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #45
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTBIKES View Post
So.. you are running the track with that amount of poke and you have not experienced and rub?
yes with the current camber and rear offsets, I haven't experienced any rub. When I had 305/30/19 Trofeo Rs I had a slight rubbing at one spot but it didn't happen again after adding a bit more camber in the rear. Overall tire diameter has to do a lot with that
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #46
SPORTBIKES

Drives: 1967 Firemaro / 2017 2SS
Thanks for the input!

2017 Camaro 2SS
2015 Corvette Z06/Z07
1975 Supercharged Corvette
1967 Firemaro Show Car - For Sale
SPORTBIKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #47
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Quote:
BMR? I'm currently replacing rear end suspension components then swing arms and end links
Old 09-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #48
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieRocket View Post
BMR? I'm currently replacing rear end suspension components then swing arms and end links
I was referring to the whole suspension. Nothing against BMR but I would personally wait for the OEM ZL1 1LE parts for the sways, control arms, end links..etc since historically OEM GM parts were not that expensive especially for being spherical bearing components, weight is also another factor
Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #49
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
I was referring to the whole suspension. Nothing against BMR but I would personally wait for the OEM ZL1 1LE parts for the sways, control arms, end links..etc since historically OEM GM parts were not that expensive especially for being spherical bearing components, weight is also another factor
The sway bars from the ZL1 1LE are lower rates due that car's high spring rates vs the SS 1LE. Just FYI.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #50
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
The sway bars from the ZL1 1LE are lower rates due that car's high spring rates vs the SS 1LE. Just FYI.
Makes sense, thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #51
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Oh? That is fascinating. Do you have a source? First I've heard of that.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #52
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Oh? That is fascinating. Do you have a source? First I've heard of that.
I asked an owner to measure diameters and whether solid or hollow. I'll try to dig up his measurements.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #53
RUQWIKR

Quote:
I asked an owner to measure diameters and whether solid or hollow. I'll try to dig up his measurements.
The FE4 suspension (ZL1, SS 1LE) use ~30mm hollow front and a solid rear (~27mm) based on when we had them off a while back. The FEA suspension (ZL1 1LE) uses almost the same size front and rear bars, though, the rear has three adjustment points as we've seen. When he put a caliper on it, it measured a bit over 26mm each with the front seeming to be a fraction bigger than the rear.

I think the FEA's are both hollow based on the weight in the dealer ordering system where you can look up package weight when you go to order a given part number. I don't remember the weights, but, the FE4 rear was many pounds heavier than the FEA rear. The FE4 front was a bit heavier than the FEA front.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #54
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
I run Apex PS-7 ET25 19 inch square with 285/35/19 RE71R.

I like to be able to rotate them around.
These are directional tires so I can't do side to side rotation but I just flipped tires on the wheels (making left become right, right become left) so I can get more life out of it.
You can actually run them in the wrong direction with little impact on grip... that is as long as it dry. Don't ask me how I know.

ps. in the wet, you are funneling water to the center which is exactly what you don't want to do.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #55
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
The FE4 suspension (ZL1, SS 1LE) use ~30mm hollow front and a solid rear (~27mm) based on when we had them off a while back. The FEA suspension (ZL1 1LE) uses almost the same size front and rear bars, though, the rear has three adjustment points as we've seen. When he put a caliper on it, it measured a bit over 26mm each with the front seeming to be a fraction bigger than the rear.

I think the FEA's are both hollow based on the weight in the dealer ordering system where you can look up package weight when you go to order a given part number. I don't remember the weights, but, the FE4 rear was many pounds heavier than the FEA rear. The FE4 front was a bit heavier than the FEA front.

Hope this helps.
Well that's certainly a help, thanks.

One thing that always grills me about anti-roll bars is the material or alloy can be changed to give wildly different rates for the same dimensions. e.g. cheap thick spring steel vs. something like Swift's thin/light spring steel both can be the same rate. Also, the hollowness does make a rate change, but not proportional to the weight loss. This will end up in the category of "we'll never really know" unless someone actually measures their spring rates.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #56
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Well that's certainly a help, thanks.

One thing that always grills me about anti-roll bars is the material or alloy can be changed to give wildly different rates for the same dimensions. e.g. cheap thick spring steel vs. something like Swift's thin/light spring steel both can be the same rate. Also, the hollowness does make a rate change, but not proportional to the weight loss. This will end up in the category of "we'll never really know" unless someone actually measures their spring rates.
Understand...as you were discussing, wall thickness, material, etc. can make a huge difference. Based on the price points, I don't think anything exotic is going on with them.