Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Magnetic Ride Control vs. Coilovers?

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the differences in between the two, and if one is better than the other? I'm looking for both handling/performance and remote electronic configuration, from what I've seen you can get the magnetic ride for 2K, and an aftermarket solution from a big name suspension brand for about 4K, except you get 4 different modes with that, but handling is my main priority! Thanks for your help!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the differences in between the two, and if one is better than the other? I'm looking for both handling/performance and remote electronic configuration, from what I've seen you can get the magnetic ride for 2K, and an aftermarket solution from a big name suspension brand for about 4K, except you get 4 different modes with that, but handling is my main priority! Thanks for your help!
This is a really good question.

Since the inception of the MR Electronic suspension systems, there have been many advancements. Sort of like ABS. When ABS first came out it was really great, but very simple overall, and it was much less performance based. Same with the MR system. It was a system that more or less was for cruising and a "sporty feel". But it could not hold up to track applications for any length of time.

Now, especially with the new BWI system on the ZL1, there have been many advancements which make it a much more track friendly system, as well as street.

BUT, maybe I am wrong but you are considering an electronically adjustable suspension versus coilovers specifically, correct? Electronically adjustable suspension does not actually function the same as "Magnetic Ride", like that in the ZL1.

Electronically adjustable suspension uses electronic actuators to mechanically turn the valving adjustments and therefore the internal needle that changes the damping curves. Magnetic Ride control, uses a special type of ferrous fluid that can change viscosity (and therefore damping characteristics) based on an electronic input.

MR systems are MUCH more advanced than the standard electronically adjustable systems.

Comparing them to standard coilovers is a bit of a "what are your goals" question that should be answered. You mentioned handling and performance was your main goal. For that reason I would certainly suggest that coilovers are going to be every bit of what you need for your goals. Through the use of our race teams who race our parts on their Camaros in World Challenge and Grand Am, we have developed a high-performance coilover system for the Camaro that can come in single adjustable or double adjustable form.

Coilovers still have the damping adjustability that you are looking for, via an easy to reach tuning knob on the bottom of the shocks.

This is just a quick rundown of our coilover features that you can compare to an electronically adjustable system:
  • Full ride height control, easily adjusted.
  • Adjustable Dampers. 24 clicks front, 48 clicks rear.
  • Camaro Specific Valving
  • Inverted Shock Design
  • BOA and CIRC Systems included
  • Spring Rates selected for improved street and track performance
  • SIGNIFICANTLY Lighter than OEM design
  • Stronger than OEM design
  • Proven durability through torture testing
  • Complete Compatibility with all 10-12 Camaro models. Including ZL1.

Now as far as the "best of both worlds", that being a MR Coilover... well... that is still in development for all of you ZL1 owners!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Okay, cool, ya I knew that they worked differently but was curious about pros and cons, but you really cleared that up, thank you!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Mike@HennesseyPerformance

Drives: 70 Camaro

If you've bought a car that already has magnetic ride control, and aren't immediately familiar with how to setup a car with double adjustable so that it will maintain stable ride height on a track, therefore this sentence has already confused you, use the magnetic ride control.

I've driven a million different types of suspension, and I am absolutely blown away by how nimble the magnetic ride control makes the ZL1 drive. GM's top engineers were let loose on that project, and it's really untouchable. The only downside is you can't really slam the car, but in all reality who really cares. You don't buy a ZL1 to scrape over every speed bump and break bumpers all the time.

Mike@HennesseyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I like the ease of the MRC on the ZL1 and Vette... unfortunately I don't have that option on my 2010. So it's Coilovers... Sadly, Im not a mechanic... I take my car to the road track 3-4 times a year. I don't want to have to change the setup on the coil overs every time I take the Camaro out. This is my hesitation.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
I like the ease of the MRC on the ZL1 and Vette... unfortunately I don't have that option on my 2010. So it's Coilovers... Sadly, Im not a mechanic... I take my car to the road track 3-4 times a year. I don't want to have to change the setup on the coil overs every time I take the Camaro out. This is my hesitation.
There is no reason to have to change your setup when you go to the track. Double adjustable (independent adjustment to compression and rebound damping) allows you to tune your car to the optimal setup and massive 52mm diameter with reservoirs provide smooth operation. Talk to any of Pedders 5th Gen Supercar coilovers and they will tell you just how good your ride can be with an incredible level of control.

Can you list out your suspension upgrades to date along with the wheel and tire package you run at the track?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
franknbeans
Whipped

Keep in mind, this is NOT a track car.. it's my toy car that I bring to the track in the summer, if I'm lucky, once a month.

I bought this kit and I still need to install.

Pedders ZL1 27/32mm Swaybars, Endlinks and LCA w/LCA bushings

Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Mike@HennesseyPerformance

Drives: 70 Camaro
To be honest, if you're doing track days only four times a year, its safe to say this is purely a hobby, and you're tracking your car for probably less than .1% of its miles.

With that said 99.9% of your driving is on public roads, use something off the shelf like an Eibach spring/sway package, enjoy your car on broken concrete roads, speed bumps, pot holes and other things you encounter for the 80% of the time you're commuting within the parameters of the laws of the roadway.

Coilovers are awesome, I always put them on my vehicles, but I also track the crap out of my cars several times a month, have solid bushings ,and occasionally trailer it. You'll probably be happy with a simple spring/sway option, and I'm going to assume you're also running 300+ treadwear street tires, which won't really have enough mechanical grip to truly take advantage of a nice set of coilovers.

Springs will look cool, increase performance a little bit, but most importantly they're easy to service, ride great, and they're simple.

Mike@HennesseyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
franknbeans
Whipped

Good advice Mike. My only issues with springs is the harsh ride and bottoming out all the time. I already have Pedders ZL1 sway conversion.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
franknbeans
Whipped

maybe not the Xa Coilovers instead of the Supercars???
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
maybe not the Xa Coilovers instead of the Supercars???
The beauty of Pedders coilovers is that the spring pre-load and jounce travel remain the same regardless of the ride height you choose so you are correct when you say you prefer coilovers to lowering coils. You already have the best sway bars available for the 5th Gen so the choice becomes Xa coilovers or Supercar coilovers.

When I fit the first set of Xa coilovers to a G8 I was amazed after my test drive. My Test drive took me from Fredericksburg Texas to the Motorcity. By the time I completed my drive I was convinced we couldn't do any better than the Xa range. For those that want to run a road course, hit the strip and have a comfortable daily drive the Xa range comes close. Supercars allow you to do all three and do it eXtremely well.

The reality of coilover for most owners is that they will change the ride heights a few times when they are new to get the right combination of looks, handling and the ability to get in and out of driveways With 20" wheel the optimal ride height is between 660 and 680mm. We can hit those heights out of the box with minimal fuss in Xa or Supercar Coilovers.

Damping adjustment is a different story. When we get our hands on a car we run it hard in our evaluation and testing program. We spend so much time with spring rates, ride heights and alignments it is ridiculous. Then there are wheel and tire packages and sway bars. Suffice it to say we work hard to get the right setup. Once you drive a really well dialed in automobile it is hard to go back. The alignment eats the times, but turns in and sticks. The toe out makes you pay attention when you brake. No bias in the caster feels great on the road course but will search on crowned roads and grooved pavement. The tight perfect on the track damper settings are not silky smooth. No problem. When we are done with the track testing or event we'll dial it back.

I tried that. It didn't work. Who wants to carve red meat with a dull knife?

Out of the box we can set your Xa coilovers or your Supercars to suit your balance of comfort and handling. The positive clicks are very easy to work with. If you can count, you can set them. If we choose a setup that is to soft or too firm we can adjust accordingly. Once we get that balance, there is no real reason to adjust the coilovers. Your done and the car is just right for you.

Xa coilovers
Supercar Coilovers

Either way there will be minimal adjustment fuss, unless you decide you like to click, count and play!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm among the biggest supporters of improving the suspension to meet your goals at the track. Whether you intend to win at road courses or the quarter mile, a good suspension makes a big difference.

Of course, your car came with magnetic ride control. That's a sweet feature, and those don't swap to other models. There's an advanced computer that controls them. It's amazing technology.

Before you start looking at getting rid of that revolutionary feature, you should consider beefing up the rest of your suspension. The ride quality is already very adjustable, and I'm not inclined to believe you'll appreciate the difference after dumping all that money into something you already have in another form. It may not be what Pedders or Pfadt are offering, but it is very good. I'm not saying, "Don't do it," but I would encourage you to look at the rest of your suspension and consider where you can make that better before you come back to this.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
JusticePete

franknbeans

Do you still have your Solstice?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
franknbeans
Whipped

Oh God yes, she's a keeper. Only wish I would have found a manual in White. Only made 70 white and 5 manuals in white.

(I'll be giving you a ring most likely, next month to get some Xa's off of you. Not sure I can spend 5k on the Supercars when I only have 9k on a 2010 Camaro.. Tracking it 2-4 times a year. )

Tags
coilovers, magnetic, ride, select