Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-13-2024, 03:30 AM   #1
GermanZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Question Anderson Composites TYPE-OE ZL1 Hood or OEM ZL1 Hood?

Yesterday i wanted to order a OEM ZL1 Hood because my car came without the OEM Hood when i bought it.
But after comparing prices i realised that it would be cheaper to get the Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood + TYPE-OE Carbon Hood insert since i am from Germany.

A tuning parts website in Germany wants 4533€/4881$ for Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood + TYPE-OE Carbon Hood insert (including shipping).
And if i would order the OEM Hood + Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood insert it would cost me 4808€/5175$ (including shipping and import fees for the hood).
So around 300€/$ more.

I havent seen a lot of people with the Type-OE ZL1 Hood. Besides the not so nice looking heat shield is there any reason to order the OEM Hood instead of the Type-OE ZL1 Hood which i don't think about?

Would you buy the TYPE-OE Carbon Hood or the OEM Hood?

Also got some questions about the Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood.

Do you really need hood pins? Since i drive on the Autobahn it is not rare for me to go 160mph for a couple miles (faster isnt fun in the 1LE) so i think i definitely need them.
I havent seen any pictues of the Type-OE Hood from the underside. How do people apply the heat shield with this hood? Only place i can think about is on the sides.
Has anybody thought about putting a matte PPF on the Carbon Hood and clear PPF on the Hood insert? Keeping the oem look of the matte hood.
GermanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 07:48 AM   #2
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
can't really provide a ton of input but you 100% need hood pins. The oe hood is double sided carbon. matte ppf on carbon just gives a dry carbon look. some people hate it some like it. havent seen much dry carbon on exterior parts, usually its for interior
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:52 PM   #3
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanZL1 View Post
Yesterday i wanted to order a OEM ZL1 Hood because my car came without the OEM Hood when i bought it.
But after comparing prices i realised that it would be cheaper to get the Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood + TYPE-OE Carbon Hood insert since i am from Germany.

A tuning parts website in Germany wants 4533€/4881$ for Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood + TYPE-OE Carbon Hood insert (including shipping).
And if i would order the OEM Hood + Anderson Composites TYPE-OE Carbon Hood insert it would cost me 4808€/5175$ (including shipping and import fees for the hood).
So around 300€/$ more.

I havent seen a lot of people with the Type-OE ZL1 Hood. Besides the not so nice looking heat shield is there any reason to order the OEM Hood instead of the Type-OE ZL1 Hood which i don't think about?

Do you really need hood pins? Since i drive on the Autobahn it is not rare for me to go 160mph for a couple miles (faster isnt fun in the 1LE) so i think i definitely need them.
I havent seen any pictues of the Type-OE Hood from the underside. How do people apply the heat shield with this hood? Only place i can think about is on the sides.
Has anybody thought about putting a matte PPF on the Carbon Hood and clear PPF on the Hood insert? Keeping the oem look of the matte hood.
Would you save on shipping of you got the dry carbon with integrated insert?

https://andersoncomposites.com/colle...bon-fiber-hood
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:18 AM   #4
GermanZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
Would you save on shipping of you got the dry carbon with integrated insert?
Even if shipping would be free it would cost more after import fees.
And cheapest for shipping for a hood i have found from the us to germany is 1500 usd.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM   #5
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanZL1 View Post

So around 300€/$ more.

I did the Anderson CF hood last year and really like it.

In your case I would say yes to both the pins and heat treatment.

You are buying an expensive hood would be a shame to have it discolor because you saved a $100 by not doing the heat shielding.

If you are hitting high speeds like that I would absolutely do the pins, normal driving maybe not but routinely hitting triple digits yes. Once you get past the very scary drilling into your new expensive hood the pins are very easy to do.

American Racing headers - Borla S-type
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:56 PM   #6
GermanZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
You are buying an expensive hood would be a shame to have it discolor because you saved a $100 by not doing the heat shielding.
Don’t really care about spending a bit more for the heat shield. I just have no idea how to apply the heat shield on the type-oe hood because of the rain guard. Asked Anderson Composites but they couldn’t send me a picture of how to apply it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
If you are hitting high speeds like that I would absolutely do the pins, normal driving maybe not but routinely hitting triple digits yes. Once you get past the very scary drilling into your new expensive hood the pins are very easy to do.
I honestly like the look of hood pins a lot so I don’t mind installing them. Just a little scared drilling the holes.

[CURRENT] 2019 ZL1 1LE
[SOLD] 2020 SS Hertz Edition 32/200

Tags
anderson composites, carbon hood, type-oe, zl1, zl1 hood