Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #323
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
It's a continuous cycle. The Boss came out, and Crushed the Camaro SS. The Z/28 came out, and crushed the Boss. The GT350R is coming out, and it looks like it'll be faster than the Z/28. The 6th Gen Camaro is right around the corner, so I can see a new Z/28 (or similarly named equivalent) coming out to beat the GT350R. I'm just glad there's enough competition for these cars to keep getting produced.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #324
SSeric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
All this talk about who's following who's lead and how "car A" is the other guy's answer to "car B"...it all really brings to light one simple truth:

Healthy competition keeps manufacturers on their toes, promotes innovation, and benefits everyone involved...especially the enthusiasts.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS | RotoFab CAI | ARH 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ HFC | SW Retro Exhaust | ZL1 Shifter | Ridetech Coilovers | FE4 conversion | UMI toe rods & trailing arms | Prothane Subframe & UCA bushings | Detroit Speed sways | Forgestar F14 wheels | ZR1 Blue Calipers | Tuned by ADM Performance

SSeric's Build Thread
SSeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #325
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Because I'm the curious type, what information are you using as a basis for the points above that you are attempt ing to make?
to make a car faster with more power u have to add mass to increase component durability. Wheel bearings, drive shafts and driveline, suspension linkages, body stiffening because of those pilots etc etc. The brakes alone are 20+ kg heavier so consider that in pounds. The extra g's will drive more fluids too, coolant, trans coolers, diff coolers etc etc.

Look at the zl1. Look at the z/28. Look at the z06. Look at the last gt500 shelby. More powerful cars drive mass in most muscle cases since motors are bigger and torque has to be handled.

Finally, the z/28 is so fast because engineers tuned vettes, Vs, 1LEs, ZL1s for years. What did ford tune? First time with MR, first time a serious rear IRS, first time really grippy tires.

Z/28 is about 3850 lbs. That is almost GT PP mustang mass. Best case 350r will be close to that mass and not have the torque. 315 pilots can handle more torque. Also, rear seat delete is silly, u took weight out of worst spot possible.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #326
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
The GT350R should beat the Z/28 in all performance aspects. The Z/28 will give a good fight but the GT350R will produce better numbers overall.
I hate to say it but the Z/28 will soon become obsolete. The 6th gen Camaro will bring new technology to the muscle car wars. The 6th gen Z/28 (assuming GM makes a 6th gen Z/28) will be the real answer for the GT350R.
The modern muscle car wars are awesome!!!

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #327
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
to make a car faster with more power u have to add mass to increase component durability. Wheel bearings, drive shafts and driveline, suspension linkages, body stiffening because of those pilots etc etc. The brakes alone are 20+ kg heavier so consider that in pounds. The extra g's will drive more fluids too, coolant, trans coolers, diff coolers etc etc.

Look at the zl1. Look at the z/28. Look at the z06. Look at the last gt500 shelby. More powerful cars drive mass in most muscle cases since motors are bigger and torque has to be handled.

Finally, the z/28 is so fast because engineers tuned vettes, Vs, 1LEs, ZL1s for years. What did ford tune? First time with MR, first time a serious rear IRS, first time really grippy tires.

Z/28 is about 3850 lbs. That is almost GT PP mustang mass. Best case 350r will be close to that mass and not have the torque. 315 pilots can handle more torque. Also, rear seat delete is silly, u took weight out of worst spot possible.
I have a question for you:

did you actually put an effort into being this wrong?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #328
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
The GT350R should beat the Z/28 in all performance aspects. The Z/28 will give a good fight but the GT350R will produce better numbers overall.
I hate to say it but the Z/28 will soon become obsolete. The 6th gen Camaro will bring new technology to the muscle car wars. The 6th gen Z/28 (assuming GM makes a 6th gen Z/28) will be the real answer for the GT350R.
The modern muscle car wars are awesome!!!
Obsolete in what way? Performance? Technology? How so? Please elaborate........

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #329
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
That is one fast looking Ford Fusion...

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #330
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Obsolete in what way? Performance? Technology? How so? Please elaborate........
As time passes all things become obsolete. That's what innovation leads to. This process takes nothing away from the present, but also acknowledges that one day even the best of the best today, will one day lose that title. Think if the current Z/28 was the pinnacle of Camaro performance and never becomes obsolete. How sad would that world be where your 2030 Camaro still only performs or is equipped as well as a 2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
That is one fast looking Ford Fusion...

As cute as this "looks like a Fusion" thing was at first, and at times accurate with the lesser models, with something like the GT350(R) it seems as though those who use it are grasping at straws for reasons to dislike it.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 AM   #331
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
The z/28 and 350R will do battle for a couple years then the sixth gen camaro z/28 will come out and edge the 350R then ford and Shelby will do something else then chevy, everyone tries to best one another. The real winners are us the enthusiasts!

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #332
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Why would any Z28 fan be scared. The GT350R is NOT the 5th gen Z28's direct competition. The GT350R is coming years after the Z28. They won't even be in production at the same time. I would seriously hope a 6th gen Mustang street legal track car could beat the old out of production 5th gen Z28. Otherwise it will be as big of a fail as the 6th gen PP GT vs 5th gen 1LE embarrassment. When competition continually one ups each other everyone wins cause cars get better. If the GT350R can't beat the old out dated Z28 then the 6th gen Z28 may not be as good as it could have been.

This whole topic completely takes me back to 2002 when Ford built the 03 Cobra because it got sick and tired of being embarrased by the F-body in comparison test and bragging rights. Ford fan boys rejoiced sounding their trumpets and beat their chest but neglected to acknowledge the fact that it was a decade late and the F- body was out of production. Even if it was not out of production the SS and Cobra wouldn't be in the same comparable class. The Mach 1 would have been the SS's direct competitor. I guess what I'm trying to say is if the cars are not built in the same generation or production year who cares? Cars SHOULD continually get better.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #333
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
As time passes all things become obsolete. That's what innovation leads to. This process takes nothing away from the present, but also acknowledges that one day even the best of the best today, will one day lose that title. Think if the current Z/28 was the pinnacle of Camaro performance and never becomes obsolete. How sad would that world be where your 2030 Camaro still only performs or is equipped as well as a 2015?

As cute as this "looks like a Fusion" thing was at first, and at times accurate with the lesser models, with something like the GT350(R) it seems as though those who use it are grasping at straws for reasons to dislike it.
I don't dislike the performance potential of the car at all and I like how they pursued weight reduction like GM did with the Z/28. I'm looking forward to seeing some real numbers like Nurburgring times and other circuit times.

That said I do think the exterior redesign is incoherent and an epic fail on Ford's part.

The front end looks terrible and the rear spoiler looks like something out of a Jegs catalog. (I do like the roofline and the rear design (minus the spoiler). The interior looks cool as well.

I personally am not "scared" of the GT350R. It's going to be a very limited production run of a very expensive car that will likely only be on par or marginally quicker than the Z/28 on a road circuit.

When the 6th gen Z/28 or ZL1 is revealed the performance edge will swing again...
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #334
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I have a question for you:

did you actually put an effort into being this wrong?

Seriously though, Ford has stated that the GT350R is going to weigh over 100 lbs less than a Mustang GT. The GT350R is going to weigh less, rev higher, and have more horse power. The only thing the Z/28 will have on the GT350R is CCB's (which might be an option from Ford), tires (not sure how much the Trofeo's will really help) and torque. It's possible that the Z/28 may have better chassis tuning, but that is speculation and honestly I don't think it will.

I don't see how the GT350R won't be at least as fast as the Z/28.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #335
SpeedIsLife

For the GT350R to weigh in at more than a 3850lb Z/28 with...

A FPC 5.2, where FPC's typically are a bit lighter than CPC engines

Lighter transmission

Carbon fiber bits out front

Carbon Fiber wheels

Weight reduction (no radio, etc)

...what would Ford have had to have done? Put sacks of cement in the trunk and back seat?

I fully anticipate a 3,500-3,525 lb GT350R with a normal GT350 being in the 3,650 range
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #336
SpeedIsLife

The GT350R will be impressive, but that's about it.

I'm personally more interested in seeing how the "regular" GT350 does.