Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #15471
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ford did nice stuff at the show. Nothing spectacular and nothing you can run out and buy anytime soon.

GT350 was already announced as LATE this year, not later this year. And it wasn't announced that I saw that the R launched at the same time.

I think the GT said LATE 2016. So that is about as real as the Bolt and Avinir. And that my friends is a fact. There isn't a spy shot yet of this car. We already have a spy shot of the mid engine Corvette MULE driving around. And by the way, the drones with Cameras really have to be pissing off the OEMs at their proving grounds lately.

As for the Raptor? Even that is a 2017. So for crying out loud they are all late this year or well into next.

As for the GT350R? Looks great on paper. Not sure why they went with CF wheels instead of brakes. Takes less development time? Quick response to the Z/28 when they realized that the GT350 wouldn't be enough? Keep in mind it takes nearly 2 years to get things into production with proper development and testing on a major component or subsystem. Faster if you are focused. So Ford was working on the GT350 when the Z/28 was still spy shots and rumors. And they've had only a few months to concoct something close.

Nice engine, Flat crank though doesn't do much for me. Maybe it should. It's a 500 hp engine (Z/28 has a high revving LS7), lighter than the Z/28 by a few hundred pounds (Z/28 also reduced weight just like the R) likely when all is said and done. Missing GM's chassis tuning which is really world class these days. So I'll call the GT350R a wash with the Z/28 only offsetting the weight for the CC brakes on the Chevy. So this is likely Ford's best hope to catch the Z/28, not surpass it.

As for the Gen 6? Well if I get my wish GM will do a special LTx engine at 500 plus hp (only a 10% improvement from the LT1 required for that). It will have a better architecture and chassis than Zeta (don't tell that to anyone at SSForums.com they hate me for that), lower weight by a bit and even better handling. The only question is does the Z/28 launch with the V6 and SS or is it delayed. Ford did not frighten me other than I am shocked that this forum is not ablaze with love of the blue paint

So we shall see, but Ford from my perspective is chasing here not leading. When you have a 1LE beating an all new Mustang GT with the decider being a cooler new interior for the Mustang and a bit newer styling, I sure don't expect that Ford can turn the R into a [next-Gen] Z/28 beater.

The probable combined sales volume of the V6 Raptor (doesn't that sound kind of strange?), the V6 GT (ditto) and sling-bladed -R (which contains elements that Mustang fans have railed about on Camaros!! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!) is well-less than the likely volumes of the GM reveals. THREE halos that very few people will actually buy because Ford will build them in tiny numbers and, as was familiar with their predecessors, dealers will therefore upcharge HUGE ADMs.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #15472
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 6th Gen shows in NY ala Z/28 or Camaro5FEST VI becomes a MAJOR AUTOMOTIVE EVENT for the PRESS!
That would be interesting. I would love to see it at Camaro5 Fest. But I'd also like to have it released sooner and it also show up at C5 Fest. Something about having my cake and eating it too

Quote:
Ford did nice stuff at the show. Nothing spectacular and nothing you can run out and buy anytime soon.
True, but it created a TON of buzz, not to mention it gave consumers actual information, specs, etc of what the vehicles will have. Unlike the 6th gen Camaro and Unicorn mid-engine Vette, we're left in the dark only speculating.

Quote:
As for the GT350R? Looks great on paper. Not sure why they went with CF wheels instead of brakes. Takes less development time? Quick response to the Z/28 when they realized that the GT350 wouldn't be enough? Keep in mind it takes nearly 2 years to get things into production with proper development and testing on a major component or subsystem. Faster if you are focused. So Ford was working on the GT350 when the Z/28 was still spy shots and rumors. And they've had only a few months to concoct something close.
Interesting thoughts on the timeline of events, I hadn't thought of that yet. I'm not sure if you have seen the "leaked" order sheet for the GT350/R but it listed CC Brakes, for the front only. The whole list is a bit suspect, but who knows, the CC Brakes MAY be an offering. Although I would think Ford would have highlighted that by now if it was going to be an option.

Regardless, I think the GT350R is going to be a beast of a car. I definitely think it will be able to catch the Z/28, if not surpass it. The 5.2L FPC revs a lot higher, and will have more power. Sure it will likely be down on torque compared to the LS7, but I think the extra hp, revs and the fact that it will be several hundred pounds lighter will more than make up for that. It's running wider tires out back and same width tires up front as the Z/28, granted they aren't the Trofeo's but I'm thinking the difference isn't going to be huge. So it really comes down to chassis dynamics at this point as the saving grace for the Z/28 (IMO). In the end though, by the time consumers can by the GT350/R, the Z/28 will be out of production. Obviously the comparison between the two cars will be made, as it should. BUT the big question is what will GM's response be? I'm a bit concerned about GM's engine options. Like you'd mentioned I hope they have something in development that is suitable for track duty, other than the LT1 & LT4. However, no one has heard anything yet, unlike the 5.2L FPC "Voodoo" engine that we first heard about a year ago.

The other interesting thing is the base GT350, that seems like a great compromise. Almost a 1LE on steroids, but I don't think GM is going to have anything that directly competes, unless they come out swinging with a balls out 6th Gen. 1LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Not sure why you are blowing off the GT350 and R due to them being a ways off from production when GM hasn't even shown us the base 6th gen, let alone the hi po versions. So, yeah, the GT350s are a ways out but at least they know what they are.
Exactly how I feel.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #15473
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Surprised that High or that Low?

GT350 was already announced as LATE this year, not later this year. And it wasn't announced that I saw that the R launched at the same time.

I think the GT said LATE 2016. So that is about as real as the Bolt and Avinir. And that my friends is a fact. There isn't a spy shot yet of this car. We already have a spy shot of the mid engine Corvette MULE driving around. And by the way, the drones with Cameras really have to be pissing off the OEMs at their proving grounds lately.

As for the Raptor? Even that is a 2017. So for crying out loud they are all late this year or well into next.

Nice engine, Flat crank though doesn't do much for me. Maybe it should. It's a 500 hp engine (Z/28 has a high revving LS7), lighter than the Z/28 by a few hundred pounds (Z/28 also reduced weight just like the R) likely when all is said and done. Missing GM's chassis tuning which is really world class these days. So I'll call the GT350R a wash with the Z/28 only offsetting the weight for the CC brakes on the Chevy. So this is likely Ford's best hope to catch the Z/28, not surpass it.

As for the Gen 6? Well if I get my wish GM will do a special LTx engine at 500 plus hp (only a 10% improvement from the LT1 required for that). It will have a better architecture and chassis than Zeta (don't tell that to anyone at SSForums.com they hate me for that), lower weight by a bit and even better handling. The only question is does the Z/28 launch with the V6 and SS or is it delayed. Ford did not frighten me other than I am shocked that this forum is not ablaze with love of the blue paint

So we shall see, but Ford from my perspective is chasing here not leading. When you have a 1LE beating an all new Mustang GT with the decider being a cooler new interior for the Mustang and a bit newer styling, I sure don't expect that Ford can turn the R into a Z/28 beater.

Way too low for a charity car. Thank goodness Sharon Stone wasn't the auctioneer, UGH! it could have been worse. I was guessing $400-$500K for serial #1. It's a very impressive car...better than the BMW IMO.

The GT is said to be out for the 50th anniversary of the 1966 1-2-3 win for the GT40. Being honest the GT is very very cool. I also like the GT350R. This in my mind is the best Ford's ever shown. I can't afford a GT (guessing $300-$400K) so it's a fantasy car for me. However, the GT350 would be cool sitting in the garage next to a 6Gen Z/28.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #15474
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
It's hard to deny Fords success at NAIAS but its definitely no reason to jump ship. For those with the patience I have a feeling all will be right with the world once the sixth gen is revealed. With all the Ford hoopla going on, revealing at a later show seems to be the right choice to me. Ford couldn't possibly steal GMs thunder now that they've shown all their cards. The stage is set for another great round of competition which could be the last.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #15475
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
It's hard to deny Fords success at NAIAS but its definitely no reason to jump ship. For those with the patience I have a feeling all will be right with the world once the sixth gen is revealed. With all the Ford hoopla going on, revealing at a later show seems to be the right choice to me. Ford couldn't possibly steal GMs thunder now that they've shown all their cards. The stage is set for another great round of competition which could be the last.
I agree GM was smart to wait.

On the BJ auction a 1970 Cuda "clone" went for $165k insane!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #15476
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

More like it! #1 Z06 Convertible $800K
Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #15477
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
More like it! #1 Z06 Convertible $800K
Hendrickson?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #15478
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Hendrickson?
Ding ding ding we have a winner.

#3 do you think the camo 6Gen looks too much like the ATS coupe?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #15479
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Ding ding ding we have a winner.

#3 do you think the camo 6Gen looks too much like the ATS coupe?
I don't see much in common and I think when we see the car revealed the only commonality will be 2 doors. The commonality will be in powertrains and chassis, all under the skin.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #15480
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Hendrick?
Let's see what he forks out for the -R.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #15481
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I don't see much in common and I think when we see the car revealed the only commonality will be 2 doors. The commonality will be in powertrains and chassis, all under the skin.
Through the camo the sides appear very flat like the ATS. Especially when compared to a 5Gen. Ruess had said the coke-bottle shape "is" Camaro. This makes me think the panels are not the real 6Gen.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #15482

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Number 3...the two Cadillac LMPs just sold at B-J for 95K and 90K....

Vin #1 Mustang 350GT R coming up later...lot # 3008

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...R-COUPE-182535
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #15483
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Number 3...the two Cadillac LMPs just sold at B-J for 95K and 90K....

Vin #1 Mustang 350GT R coming up later...lot # 3008

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...R-COUPE-182535
Wow would be fun to make those street legal........ Or go to a track day............or both
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #15484
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Wow! Mustang GT350R #1 $1M

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014