Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #15
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I like my Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I don't plan on running them in the winter as our winters are brutal here in ND. But they seem to handle fine in all other weather conditions. I have over 4,500 miles on them now and I have had no issues.
I have the same tires and they have worked very well. I did drive with them last winter in snow and icy condition and they worked very well.

Well enough that I was comfortable to leave the Equinox in the driveway on several snowy days.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
I have the same tires and they have worked very well. I did drive with them last winter in snow and icy condition and they worked very well.

Well enough that I was comfortable to leave the Equinox in the driveway on several snowy days.
I've been thinking of jumping to dedicated snows for mine but have been going back and forth on it. Last winter was very mild (I live in SE Mich too) so I don't think it was a great indicator. But I'd rather have some better tires in rain than stock, too. Took a road trip to Traverse City and it poured rain half the time, making the car slide a little during every lane change.

Going to get some dedicated wheels but not sure if Conti DWS (which I loved on my T/Am) or Blizzaks...

*I do own a beater Aztek for the worst of the worst days
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRedFirebird View Post
I've been thinking of jumping to dedicated snows for mine but have been going back and forth on it. Last winter was very mild (I live in SE Mich too) so I don't think it was a great indicator. But I'd rather have some better tires in rain than stock, too. Took a road trip to Traverse City and it poured rain half the time, making the car slide a little during every lane change.

Going to get some dedicated wheels but not sure if Conti DWS (which I loved on my T/Am) or Blizzaks...

*I do own a beater Aztek for the worst of the worst days
I can't speak on the Blizzaks but I couldn't be happier with the Conti's.

You might want to try jumping over to Tire Rack's site and comparing the reviews on both tires.

I have not seen too much on this site about the Blizzaks but the reviews on this site that I have seen for the Conti's have been very good.

P.S. Mine is an every day driver and I have not experienced any issues at all with wet roads on the Conti's.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #18
Bobfly
OspreyTech

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I don't know how you drive but my goodyears only slipped when I intended for them to slip. And it rains cats and dogs here in NC.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I can't speak on the Blizzaks but I couldn't be happier with the Conti's.

You might want to try jumping over to Tire Rack's site and comparing the reviews on both tires.

I have not seen too much on this site about the Blizzaks but the reviews on this site that I have seen for the Conti's have been very good.

P.S. Mine is an every day driver and I have not experienced any issues at all with wet roads on the Conti's.
Right on. I saw that they were considered pretty great in light snow, which is realistically all I'd drive the Camaro in. Now I've got my plans to rethink again. Haha.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #20
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:

Yeah I think they would work fine in a lot of winter conditions, but we can some pretty nasty weather and there's times when the streets aren't cleared when you need them; or you're traveling 80 miles to the closest city and you get caught in a snow storm on the way back. You definitely want tires that can bite the road/ice. I'm going to go with Pirelli Winter Carving Edge with studs on 18" BBS rims.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
merlin803

Quote:
Yeah I think they would work fine in a lot of winter conditions, but we can some pretty nasty weather and there's times when the streets aren't cleared when you need them; or you're traveling 80 miles to the closest city and you get caught in a snow storm on the way back. You definitely want tires that can bite the road/ice. I'm going to go with Pirelli Winter Carving Edge with studs on 18" BBS rims.
I think you may have the wrong impression about MI weather, we get 10 inches of snow and our employers say, "make sure you put a shovel in your car before you head to work".
Old 09-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #22
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
I think you may have the wrong impression about MI weather, we get 10 inches of snow and our employers say, "make sure you put a shovel in your car before you head to work".
North Dakota is the same way, it takes an act of God for them to call of school or work due to bad weather.

I'm a bit on the cautious side when it comes to winter driving, in my opinion it gets too cold here for all season tires to really work well. I want the best tire for the season and you cannot beat the traction of a dedicated winter tire.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
If you're gonna drive the car in winter, go with separate winter and summer tires. You'll get all around better performance all year than you would from an all season.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
Arex

Drives: 2016 NFG 2SS
Does anyone in SoCal run summer tires year round?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #25
mbavon

Drives: 50 ann. Rs, V6, sunroof, nav, spl
Location: Rochester NY way upstate 3 hours from Toronto on Lake Ontario
Would it help if you put the car in "snow and ice mode"? I don't know. I'm just throwing that out there.
mbavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #26
Junga

Drives: Future Camparo owner
Quote:
I like my Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires. I don't plan on running them in the winter as our winters are brutal here in ND. But they seem to handle fine in all other weather conditions. I have over 4,500 miles on them now and I have had no issues.
Thanks! I will check them out! I was looking at a pair of BF goodrich too. Costco sells them and they have good reviews. Time to compare!
Junga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #27
Junga

Drives: Future Camparo owner
I'm thinking that living in Virginia where we MAY get a small dusting of snow and it gets kind of cold, that I should be fine will all season tires. I mean I was hydroplaning so bad and it was scary to drive in the rain. That should not be happening. This is my daily which works out great for me; however, safety is important.
Junga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #28
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junga View Post
I'm thinking that living in Virginia where we MAY get a small dusting of snow and it gets kind of cold, that I should be fine will all season tires. I mean I was hydroplaning so bad and it was scary to drive in the rain. That should not be happening. This is my daily which works out great for me; however, safety is important.
I encountered a good rain storm on my way through Oregon coming home from a road trip. Couldn't go faster than 50 on I-5 without hydroplaning. All season tires should be good if you think you'll have more wet conditions than Ice/Snow.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote