Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Extended Warranty... What are your thoughts?

As of October 27 my warranty expires after having the car for 3 years. I keep getting these letters in the mail to extend the warranty, but have yet to respond. My car is a garage queen, so it has just about 6,000 miles. As of not the car has really never been to the dealer for anything, but this could be because I hardly drive the thing. What are your guys thoughts or experiences with purchasing these extended warranties? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Looks like you've got a tune, so I can't imagine they'll warranty it anyway at least engine-wise.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
pooch

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk convertible
I think it's a role of the dice. If you have a defective part then it probably would have already broke. On the other hand if something does break, like air cond. or a computer then hold onto your wallet. I personnaly don't like to buy extended warrenties and hope for the best. You could set up an account and pay yourself the $$$ just in case something does break. Then at the end if you're lucky you can go on vacation or something.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Sounds like a waste of money after you have shared your usage habits.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I didn't opt for the extended warranty either when offered at the dealership. Not so ironically, it was the finance mgr trying to sell it to me. Even more interesting is that after my initial refusal, price dropped $350.00, go figure.

If you do opt for an extended warranty, ONLY get the GMPP, General Motors Protection Plan. After-market warranties are useless, one refused to pay for my brother's radiator as he drove it in winter when it was known that salt was used on the roads in Ohio during winter, thus accelerating corrosion. Like they weren't aware of that when they sold him the policy. Bastards.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I have an extended warranty. I still have a little regular warranty on mine but not for long. I have used warranty a couple of times on relatively minor things. I considered gettng a refund on my extended warranty as I plan to get a tune, but hubby said keep it as things like power windows, AC, etc would still be covered & they tend to need repairs.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 09-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
MiracleAces

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I didn't opt for the extended warranty either when offered at the dealership. Not so ironically, it was the finance mgr trying to sell it to me. Even more interesting is that after my initial refusal, price dropped $350.00, go figure.

If you do opt for an extended warranty, ONLY get the GMPP, General Motors Protection Plan. After-market warranties are useless, one refused to pay for my brother's radiator as he drove it in winter when it was known that salt was used on the roads in Ohio during winter, thus accelerating corrosion. Like they weren't aware of that when they sold him the policy. Bastards.
Warranties are no different than your car. If they cant sell it to you at full pop they will lower the price. There are a few very good warranty companies out there that surpass any manufacturer offered extended warranties. A couple will even refund your full warranty price at the end of it's term (minus about a $50 FEE) if you never use it. Always ask for the best level of the warranty and ask what it DOESN'T cover. All warranties can be adjusted to your desired term and expected mileage driven per year.

"Being persistant and never giving up may not always get the job done, but it just may annoy someone else enough to make it worth your while."
MiracleAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I used to always get the extended warranty. but after 4 cars, $8,000 and not one claim I decided to pocket that money with my camaro.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
with only 6000 miles on her after 3 years ,,HELL NO.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
bluetooth-ss

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS A6 and 2018 2500
Had one on the Silverado and never had to use it also had one on my s10 that had a heater core go out that was covered but the repair would have cost less than the warranty.Opted out on the Titan and Camaro.So far so good.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
As of October 27 my warranty expires after having the car for 3 years. I keep getting these letters in the mail to extend the warranty, but have yet to respond.
If you think that the letters are a nuisance, pray that they don't get hold of your phone number.

The calls will be relentless, nothing useful will come up on the caller ID, and the callers themselves don't take well to hearing 'NOT INTERESTED' for an answer. So instead of me listening to the same scare tactics, I've started letting them listen to whatever radio station I'm listening to.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
jeremy3721

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I had extended warranties on both of my older firebirds and I'd have to say they each easily paid for themselves. I've not yet gotten an extended warranty on my 2011 Camaro but I'm looking into it now.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I have the extended and have and will use it for every single cent that I paid for it. Got my front seats replaced, repainted the trunk, had new washer parts installed for the spoiler, fixed the whine coming from my air conditioner, USB software update and outlet replaced. Every month or so I keep looking and reading the TSBs that get released to see whether my vehicle is experiencing any new complications that are warrantied, so I enjoy my warranties and have no problem paying the little extra dough to extend it another 2 years when by chance, and sure of it, a complication will come up which should be covered and parts plus labor for one of em will come out to 25% of what I pay for. I a luxury and reassurance that makes me feel confident in my car and that I will be fixed if some crap pops up.
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I was a previous dealer, Extended warranties are a good money maker for the dealership and the warranty companies.
After seeing how much you drive. Hell no! save your money my friend!
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote