Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
Am I Crazy???

Corvette owner here getting ready to come over to the Camaro side of things. Currently own a 2009 Z06 that I'm going to trade in on a 16 Camaro SS. Your probably askin yourself why the h*ll would anyone want to do that?! Well for a couple of reasons actually. If your not familiar with the LS7 motor they have a tendency to, ahem, cough up valves. Google LS7 valve failure and you will see what I mean. Currently there is a class action case against GM over it but I can pretty much tell you it won't get far. My cars warranty is expired and it's also tuned so if it coughs up a valve I have to pay to get it repaired. A new motor is at least 15k and I just don't have that kind of money to spend. I could put new heads on it but they aren't cheap either.

True Car now has pricing available for the Camaro and the way I have the car optioned out the dealer would have to cut me a check for the difference between the two cars which is pretty sizable. I would actually be putting money back into my account vs spending it for a new set of heads on the Z06. It just makes more financial sense to put a nice chunk of money into my savings rather than pull it out for a new set of heads.

Lastly it would give me a car that both my father and I can enjoy. He's 80 years old and loves peroformance cars. Unfortunately he can't get into (or out of) the Z06 so I'm not able to take him on rides in it. The Camaro he could easily get in and out of. He used to love going for rides in my Mustang and was kind of upset when I sold it for a Corvette. This last reason is priceless to me.

So I'm going to try and do the deed this weekend. Looking to order a 1SS in Nightfall Grey Metalic, A8 trans, MRC, NPP, black emblems, and the bright silver painted spilt spoke wheels. Wish me luck!!!
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
I think it's a great move, but I don't own either. The new Camaro just has a lot more to offer...from a "package" perspective. Yea, it's not a Z, but it's a full package. So much to like. The interior is great, it's comfortable, it's quick, it's got great tech...yup yup.
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Not crazy. You will probably enjoy the new SS just as much if not more due to the new factor and peace of mind. One thing, I hear the new Camaro sits lower than the Gen 5 so it may not be that easy to get in and out of. A little easier than the vette, but not easy if you know what I mean.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Sounds like a plan! We expect a First impressions review followed up within a month by a full in depth review with some comparisons between the z06, Stang and gen 6 Camaro
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
One thing, I hear the new Camaro sits lower than the Gen 5 so it may not be that easy to get in and out of. A little easier than the vette, but not easy if you know what I mean.
I was going to say this. After test driving the new Camaro...I can't say I feel it could sit much higher than the Corvette, and that was one thing in my "review" that I mentioned. I fell into it. I can't imagine it would be easy for someone that was a bit...wiser.
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Good plan! And a good son also
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
08z51c6

My Z06 sits low and the seats are deep. I'd need to sit in the new Camaro but I'm pretty confident it's a lot easier to get in and out of. I'm sure I'll miss the Z06 but there are too many pluses to this decision not to make the move.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Richhoff

Drives: 2006 C6 Corvette convertible
I currently own a 2006 C6 convertible with 28000 miles and I am going to do the same. Love my C6, but at 63 with ailing hips, it's difficult to easily get in and out. The new Camaro is actually faster than my C6 and I'm slobbering over the newer technology. I'll be ordering once the convertible ss is available. You are not crazy.
Richhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
My Z06 sits low and the seats are deep. I'd need to sit in the new Camaro but I'm pretty confident it's a lot easier to get in and out of. I'm sure I'll miss the Z06 but there are too many pluses to this decision not to make the move.
If the LS7 was rock solid I would suggest you keep it but always wondering if you need to spend a boatload on new heads kinda saps some of the enjoyment out of the z06. I think you will find the Camaro to be a more refined driving experience, especially with the 8 speed auto and MRC in tour mode. It will firm up nicely if you set it to sport or track mode.

The one thing you may miss is the raw-ness of the Z06. The lighter weight combined with the manual transmission and never ending pull of the LS7 is hard to match.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
08z51c6- Actually to me all that is sane.I am buying a 1ss because I promised when I was a young kid I would own the fastest car my grandfather has ever been in. This car was a blown nova that ran high 10.9 quarter mile. My first car had 425hp 383 but an 1981 camaro is not breaking in 10 second territory with that hp. Today I just watched with a 150 shot of nitrous a tune and some drag slicks the ss just ran a 10.6. My grandfather is 80 now and this car will be doing mid 10 seconds quarter mile times on the mods I have planned plus a few time shots of 150hp nos.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
If the LS7 was rock solid I would suggest you keep it but always wondering if you need to spend a boatload on new heads kinda saps some of the enjoyment out of the z06. I think you will find the Camaro to be a more refined driving experience, especially with the 8 speed auto and MRC in tour mode. It will firm up nicely if you set it to sport or track mode.

The one thing you may miss is the raw-ness of the Z06. The lighter weight combined with the manual transmission and never ending pull of the LS7 is hard to match.
If it was rock solid I'd definitely keep it but it's not. Guys have spent thousands of dollars getting the stock heads redone only to have the "fixed" heads fail. You could go aftermarket but they are even more expensive and not a sure bet either. I've done a lot of thinking about this and the pluses far outweigh the negatives for making the trade.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:54 AM   #12
Cautionary tale

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss summit white
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
Quick question...yes, I heard of the suit against gm for z06 and some stingrays... watch motor trend 2015 best driver car, the z06 was an epic fail and car and driver long term tester stingray bit the dust at 6,000 miles, metal shavings from oil filter I believe.... 15, 000 for new motor or 45,000 for new car, but camaro is easier to get in and out of... I'm 6'1300 I sat in vette almost had to pull out jaws of life and butter to get me out,lol... my question, bout damn time, did u have tune done a long time ago or after warranty cause man 650 hp is laying it down, if tune wasn't done just right might cause the valves to go out earlier...
Cautionary tale is offline   Reply With Quote