Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Pay Pal blows...

Long story: Pay Pal blows

I found a great catback deal on Ebay. When I went to buy the catback, I had to create a Pay Pal account. Part of the Pay Pal account creation process is they verify your credit card. No problem, sounds reasonable to me. So as part of the verification process, they send a $1.95 charge to my credit card along with a 4 digit code. Once the transaction appears on my credit card, I retrieve the 4 digit code, login to Pay Pal and using the 4 digit code, verify that the credit card I'm using is mine. They then credit the $1.95 charge. Took 24 hours to go through this process, but still no big deal.

Now the part where Pay Pal blows...

So at this juncture, my credit card is verified and I'm ready to "check out" the catback. Not so fast homey.... During the check out process, I'm directed to another Pay Pal web page where they now want to verify a bank account and use that as the payment source for this transaction.

Wrong answer..... Pay Pal blows....

I called Pay Pal to plead my case, but "dems da rules".... Pay Pal blows....

Bottom line - I contacted the seller, GHL Motorsports, and got nothing less than stellar customer service: they shipped out the catback immediately (had a UPS tracking number 15 minutes after talking to them), told me to send them a check in the mail, and initiated a cancel transaction to Ebay so I don't have to jump through hoops with Ebay.

Did I mention that Pay Pal blows....
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My father had the same crap happen to him. He didn't want to give out any banking info online. He ended up calling the company and buying it direct . Oh well. At least you got it figured out.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
dragrcr
2SS 6M

Drives: 2010 2SS 6M
Yes you have to link to a Checking account to pay transactions and that is the default/PRIMARY way to pay transactions. BUT when in the payment process, BEFORE you confirm payment there is a chance to select "more payment options" , then you can select the credit card to pay. Just remember that you have to do this EVERY TIME because they require that the checking account be the default payment method. You can add as many credit cards as you want to your account and select whichever one you want to pay with if you don't forget to go to that other page and do it.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Never had any problems with paypal
Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I have been using paypal for about 10 YEARS and have NEVER had a problem. I have both my account and my card in my PayPal account.....and you can use EITHER ONE you want. If you had gone ahead and verified you bank account as well, you could have still used your credit card. The default is to my bank for payments, so all I need to do is change the payment method to my card at checkout...... PIECE OF CAKE.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
nosrettap58
nosrettap58

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Yeah it's been great here and the best part is if you buy something and get screwed over, paypal takes care of you. (i.e. E-Bay).
nosrettap58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Moody'sSS

Drives: IOM 2SS 2010
I have been using paypal for 16 years..never any issues..ordered something from a vendor on ebay and I never received the item..paypal refunded my money back to me..my preferred method of payment.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
1bacamaro

Drives: 2ss
TSOMG don't get me started on PayPal. They suck! Gave a Guy back 700.00 because I forgot to put a part in his box when I shipped his stuff. The part wasn't even listed on the eBay auction. I gave it to him for free cause I didn't want it and I was trying to be nice. Could the Guy call me and say you forgot the free part.....no! Next thing I know my 700.00 is gone. He called PayPal and told them I didn't send his parts and wanted his money back. They sent me a email to let me know but I was in the woods camping with my family. After two days with no response from me he got his money. When I got home I tried to contact with no reply of course. PayPal told me sorry can't do anything for you. Next time have a friend check your email when you leave town. Ya right I am Going to give out my name and password. Great for the buyer but they suck for the seller. Never again will I deal with PayPal.
Oh I forgot the free part was 20.00 new. I lost 700.00 over a 20.00 used r/c part. Talked about pissed.
1bacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
As long as BOTH parties are on the up and up, PayPal is great. It's when you have some scammers that want free parts or free $$, where the problem occurs. There's VERY little security after the $$ changes hands.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
PayPal is really good. I am sorry to hear your experience was bad. Honestly to get an account set up is supposed to be hard and take a few days on purpose, for your security. If it was easy and quick just imagine all the stolen identity problems there would be out there and money stolen. I have used Paypal for years. It is worth a second shot. Very popular way of paying for things online. I would recommend buying something cheap on Ebay, or somewhere just to get rolling before going for something big like a catback system.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
You dont need an account to pay through paypal. Usually they have an option to either use your credit card directly or create an account.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
I do believe Pay Pal is on the up and up. They have businees rules in place to protect buyers and sellers. I'm all for that. But, I was just frustrated that I had to go through hoops to complete the purchase. In the end, no big deal, but boy, was I pissed. When all is said and done, I'm sure I'll be using Pay Pal for future credit card purchases.

TGIF mofo's!!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Been using PayPal for about 10 years myself as well. Have home, renters, and car insurance through them. Not to mention my one and only credit card as well as two car loans. They even allow creation of one time use credit card numbers or one website multiple use credit cards to prevent fraud.

PayPal is absolutely amazing and has SEVERAL methods in which they prevent a user from becoming a victim of fraud. After all of those steps, should one of those methods fail, they garantee a refund of any lost money at that time.

I have also been through remediation with Paypal as both a seller and a buyer. They are nothing but fair and thorough in this process. Read the processes and there would be no surprises. There is no way PayPal took $700 without giving you at least 7 days which only starts AFTER 7 days of providing proof you tried to solve this yourself, to refute a buyers claims and provide evidence of no wrong doing. If you ignored those requests over 14 days, that is your fault, not theirs.

Them asking for your bank info is to protect you, not to scam you. I wouldn't blast a company because you waited until the very last minute to set up a purchasing account. Once that process is complete, you'd see that purchases almost everywhere online these days can be done in seconds (even plane tickets).

RTFM guys.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Wow, I haven't had any problems w/ them at all and I even bought from Canada w/ paypal. Sorry, to hear that you did