Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #15
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Right. I seem to recall reading something that said if they were the same diameter once the wheel hop starts it will start it amplify itself, the different diameters will fight this.

The big axle feels like it's probably hollow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah... More like a synergistic frequency/vibration thing
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
notoriousstad

Drives: none
Subscribed
Langston 96' Caprice 9C1 Beater
Rosie - 67' El Co - race truck w/ plates
NoName - 73' Datsun 620 - LS7/TR6060/4.56/T2/NREMITT/9C1 guts
notoriousstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #17
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
How does the tuning for this work? Just a copy-paste from GM's original> Or, is that still a 327 ring gear?
Yeah, both 3.27
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #18
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I don't see why any tuning would be required. Same gearing, just adding the limited slip, and it's stronger.

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:24 AM   #19
Jason@JacFab

The deed is done! I didn't have the time to do it myself with the new baby afoot, so I took everything to the local shop I take my cars to when I don't want to do something myself, or don't have time. I threw the axles and differential in the trunk and dropped it off at 8am this morning, not sure when they started it, but they called me at about 1:30 and said it was done. I asked one of the techs to take some pictures for you guys and got a couple worth sharing.

Diff out, not sure which axles are in...

This shows the diff out still, but the new axles are installed

Here is the new diff (left) shown next to the wimpy stock diff (right).

New diff and axles installed.

I can't say that I was the first one to do this swap. The ZZP boys beat me to it. I figured based on the part numbers in the Gm parts diagrams that all that was needed was the differential and axles, which if any of you have contemplated doing this type of swap in a 5th gen v6 cars, you'd know you'd also need to swap the hubs and sometimes the driveshaft, or the rear half of it, and sometimes the stock driveshaft would work fine. GM made it easy this time for us.

The only extra step needed (Which I found out before hand thanks to the ZZP boys), is that you need to swap the pinion flange from the old stock rear end onto the new rear end for the stock drive shaft to bolt up. Aside from that, it's a straight up bolt in.

Good thing on the pinion flange as it seems fedex must have dropped my new diff and the pinion flange i didn't need was pretty bent

Luckily, nothing else was damaged. The old a8 diff flange was swapped on and everything bolted right in according to plan.

The labor cost for the diff swap to be done at the shop I use was $375

Well worth it in my book considering my lack of time to do it myself...

Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #20
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Sweetness, now go lay down some black stripes and break that baby in

...the car...not the actual baby...
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #21
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
very cool!

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #22
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Excellent!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Wait... so the auto 2.0 has 3.27 but the 3.6 auto has 2.73 ... Why did they do that so the Differential in the v6 A8 is its own part not shared with any other camaro.. Why would they not put the 3.27 in it as well ?
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Wait... so the auto 2.0 has 3.27 but the 3.6 auto has 2.73 ... Why did they do that so the Differential in the v6 A8 is its own part not shared with any other camaro.. Why would they not put the 3.27 in it as well ?
Off the top of my head, fuel economy. Same reason the the V8 A4 4th gens had 3.23's, and V6 A4's & V8 M6 had 3.42's. But you could also get a 3.08 open and 3.23 open diff in a V6. So, GM has never made much sense with these choices.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #25
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
The deed is done! I didn't have the time to do it myself with the new baby afoot, so I took everything to the local shop I take my cars to when I don't want to do something myself, or don't have time. I threw the axles and differential in the trunk and dropped it off at 8am this morning, not sure when they started it, but they called me at about 1:30 and said it was done. I asked one of the techs to take some pictures for you guys and got a couple worth sharing.

Diff out, not sure which axles are in...

This shows the diff out still, but the new axles are installed

Here is the new diff (left) shown next to the wimpy stock diff (right).

New diff and axles installed.

I can't say that I was the first one to do this swap. The ZZP boys beat me to it. I figured based on the part numbers in the Gm parts diagrams that all that was needed was the differential and axles, which if any of you have contemplated doing this type of swap in a 5th gen v6 cars, you'd know you'd also need to swap the hubs and sometimes the driveshaft, or the rear half of it, and sometimes the stock driveshaft would work fine. GM made it easy this time for us.

The only extra step needed (Which I found out before hand thanks to the ZZP boys), is that you need to swap the pinion flange from the old stock rear end onto the new rear end for the stock drive shaft to bolt up. Aside from that, it's a straight up bolt in.

Good thing on the pinion flange as it seems fedex must have dropped my new diff and the pinion flange i didn't need was pretty bent

Luckily, nothing else was damaged. The old a8 diff flange was swapped on and everything bolted right in according to plan.

The labor cost for the diff swap to be done at the shop I use was $375

Well worth it in my book considering my lack of time to do it myself...

Very nice. I have a number in mind, and I think you're gonna be faster than that! Get it to the track!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
So can I simply get the gears from a 2.0 A8 and swap it onto my v6 ? not sure how much the gear ration difference will make in a A8 maybe .2 off in the 1/4 tops ?
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #27
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
So can I simply get the gears from a 2.0 A8 and swap it onto my v6 ? not sure how much the gear ration difference will make in a A8 maybe .2 off in the 1/4 tops ?
You would want a complete diff like JacFab did. You would want to get the 2.0t M6 diff, as it has a posi. I thought all the V6 cars came with posi? If that is the case, and you're really handy, you can disassemble a 2.0t A8 diff, then install the 3.27 ring gear in your stock diff with a posi. If you're going to go that far, why not upgrade to a 3.91 gear set? With the HUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEE overdrive of the A8, I'm sure the gas mileage wouldn't be bad.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Quote:

An automatic 2.0 differential should be a direct swap. If you want a manual trans diff to get the limited slip, you would have to change the axles also, like I did.

I made a post about this in the v6 section a few months back...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470721

Probably worth a couple tenths if you have good traction.

I'd be willing to sell my stock diff if you don't have to have a limited slip and just want it for the gear factor. 8k miles on it