Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Job Question

Got an interesting job question for ya fellows...

I work a 9-5 job, but I'm basically doing contract work on a salary. There are periods of time between contracts that I literally do nothing (haven't worked a minute this week). I am good at my job too, so when I do have a project I can get it done pretty quickly. I also work from home, so let's just say I have a lot of free time.

On the flipside I get no promotions or raises, and never will. Great job but I want career advancement. I've considered getting another real job and keeping this job simultaneously--I'm pretty confident I can juggle both. Is that unethical? I'm concerned about future jobs finding out I had overlapping jobs, and not hiring me because of it. I haven't done anything yet, so don't judge me...but I really don't want to take a new job that seems to be a career advancement, but in reality it turns out to be crap and I'm very regretful of leaving the comfortable job I have now.

Thoughts?
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Yes it would be unethical and it would be a termination offense if found out. Basically you are double billing for the same time period. If the second job was before or after then it generally is not an issue.

As to the future of hireability, it depends on state labor laws.. but in general a former employer can only verify you worked there, the former employer can not say anything about why you were terminated or even if they would rehire you. If they do, and you find out about it, then that would be grounds for legal action.

My 2 cents..
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Yes it would be unethical and it would be a termination offense if found out. Basically you are double billing for the same time period. If the second job was before or after then it generally is not an issue.

As to the future of hireability, it depends on state labor laws.. but in general a former employer can only verify you worked there, the former employer can not say anything about why you were terminated or even if they would rehire you. If they do, and you find out about it, then that would be grounds for legal action.

My 2 cents..
So is there a law that makes it illegal? I mean, again, I work on SALARY, so technically I don't have any set hours--any hour is a potential hour to be working and there are no set hours I must work per week. If I were hourly and my required hours were 9-5, that would be a different story.

If I can effectively get the work done outside of the 9-5 hours that I work at another job--provided I do both jobs correctly without issue--how exactly is that unethical? Since I do not have to go into an office at my current job, nobody requires that I work between the hours of 9-5. If I got another job where I had to go into an office, I would probably be going in between the hours of 9-5 just because that is standard practice for most businesses.

I do think it could be grounds for firing, just because on the surface it doesn't make a lot of sense. But that means nothing to me regarding whether or not it is actually unethical, people can get fired for just about anything, reasonable or not.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Having 2 jobs is not a crime. Many people do. If you are contract I don't see why you couldn't do 2 at home if you wanted. However, if you are at work in an office/plant for one job and doing you side job instead, prepare to take the train. For instance, I'm at work right now. If Camaro5 paid me to be on their forum all day, my boss might take offense. But since I'm surfing for free, then he....errr...uhmm, nevermind.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
There is nothing wrong with you working two jobs, as long as they are not at the *same* time. That would be called, "double dipping."

Work a 9-5, and then do something on the side.

Also, I'm salaried, and while I don't have set "hours," I get paid every two weeks for working 80 hours. If I make it 9-5, or 10-6, or 12-8, that's not a problem.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
There is nothing wrong with you working two jobs, as long as they are not at the *same* time. That would be called, "double dipping."

Work a 9-5, and then do something on the side.

Also, I'm salaried, and while I don't have set "hours," I get paid every two weeks for working 80 hours. If I make it 9-5, or 10-6, or 12-8, that's not a problem.
The actual definition of salary is: Salary is a fixed amount of money or compensation paid to an employee by an employer in return for work performed.

There is no specification of period of time required to do the work performed. Nothing about 9-5 specifically. It seems to me like one could work 10 salaried jobs if they wanted, provided the work performed was completed.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
it seems to me one of the things to consider is whether your employment agreement has anything to say about working another job.
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
As long as you do not do anything that will cause a conflict of interest with your current job, overlap work times, or do anything criminal, many people find a person willing to work extra to make things happen for themselves a motivated person who could be a valuable asset. If you want to work two jobs go for it!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
You need to check your contract. I know the state of Florida allows dual employment as long as the second job doesn't interfere with the 8 hours you're supposed to be putting in for the state (even though we're salaried) and doesn't present a conflict of interest (IE working for a dairy plant that you inspect).
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
To add to this, our company (due to the nature of the job and it sensitivity) requires that you report your second job to insure that you are not working for a competitors company. Such as working for 2 competing insurance companies.

I also find it unethical and would fire someone that broke that trust.

I would talk to your supervisor, let them know that you want to moonlight at another job. I have had employees ask me and I let them know, as long as it does not interfere with their current position and it is not for a competitor I am okay with it. They have to report the job to the company per our SOP. They often have a second job because they are a bunch of techie nerds that can't sit still and play video games like real men.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #11
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
If the job gets done to the expected standards on both ends where's the harm or the foul,everyone gets what they paid for and you get the benefits of being an efficient worker.
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafe17 View Post
If the job gets done to the expected standards on both ends where's the harm or the foul,everyone gets what they paid for and you get the benefits of being an efficient worker.
See, this is what I think SHOULD be the case, but obviously folks have different opinions. I'm not required to work the hours of 9-5 in my current job, so if I did work that time at another job then I don't think that really is a reason alone for them to fire me justifiably. Especially when you take into account that I am not paid hourly for anything. If I don't have to report into an office, who is to say that I have to work certain hours?

Also, I would never tell a boss I was working two jobs. The mere idea might make them think "oh well you don't have enough work to do," and I obviously wouldn't want more work in that type of situation.

I thought if an employer wanted to hire you and called your previous companies, those employers had to say the dates you were employed. This is when I see two full-time jobs simultaneously being an issue, because then you have to explain how you worked two salaried jobs at the same time. I think my answer would be pretty straightforward--one was a contract job whereby I worked from home and performed the work during non-standard hours, while the other job was performed during the standard 9-5 timeline. I don't know if that would hold much weight though.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
If you're talking about work for the second job happening when you are supposed to be working your first job (same hours), yes it's unethical. You're accepting their salary; you work for them. If you were being paid by the hour or a set amount for a project, then it would be a different matter. But you're salaried; you accept a set amount of pay regardless of the amount of time you work in a given period.

Don't confuse legal with ethical, either. Lots of things are legal but unethical.

I also see that you posted that if your boss found out they'd give you more work. That should tell you that something is wrong with what you're considering.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #14
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
But you're salaried; you accept a set amount of pay regardless of the amount of time you work in a given period.
Hrmm. I get paid to do a job. The hours aren't set, which is what salary is defined as--I posted this already. Don't you think it's kind of a society thing that a salaried job must be completed in the 9-5 hours? Why can't one do the work outside of those hours--competently--and still be paid for it? And why is that unethical?

I guess the real question is, if I am doing both jobs correctly and my bosses are happy, who cares? The fact that I don't have enough work to keep me busy at my current job is a silly point--probably most people wish they had less work, and since I have less work, I'm not going to ask for more. Right?