#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
The actual definition of salary is: Salary is a fixed amount of money or compensation paid to an employee by an employer in return for work performed.

There is no specification of period of time required to do the work performed. Nothing about 9-5 specifically. It seems to me like one could work 10 salaried jobs if they wanted, provided the work performed was completed.
I didn't say anything about the time REQUIRED. My pay stub says I'm being paid for 80 hours of work. How I structure it isn't set in stone.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Hrmm. I get paid to do a job. The hours aren't set, which is what salary is defined as--I posted this already. Don't you think it's kind of a society thing that a salaried job must be completed in the 9-5 hours? Why can't one do the work outside of those hours--competently--and still be paid for it? And why is that unethical?

I guess the real question is, if I am doing both jobs correctly and my bosses are happy, who cares? The fact that I don't have enough work to keep me busy at my current job is a silly point--probably most people wish they had less work, and since I have less work, I'm not going to ask for more. Right?
Didn't you say you wanted promotions and career advancement? Then yes, you absolutely go ask for more work. The way to get ahead in anything is to do more or better and preferably both in your job.

The big thing you have to be careful of is "conflict of interest". You can't do work for a competitor for example and try to do a great job for them too. It would be like working on the Mustang on one job and the Camaro for your other job.

You can't do work for your other job while getting paid from the other. In the past, I have caught my guys day trading and watching accounts. Sorry but I have made it clear that while getting paid by our company that is not permitted. I have known guys that have tried to run construction businesses while at work (and that work wasn't in the construction business).

But again your problem will be you won't ever reach your career goals if you are distracted trying to sneak work for your other employer during your down time.

None of this is illegal if you don't sign anything. But they will get you fired.

If you want promotions and a career, focus on one, get good at it. Undertake training and education to support it.

If you just want to make more $$ and work two jobs, go for it. But the two aren't always the same.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I know plenty of people who have a day job and go home to a second job. As long as you aren't working on job 2 when you should be at job 1 I wouldn't see a problem.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Didn't you say you wanted promotions and career advancement? Then yes, you absolutely go ask for more work. The way to get ahead in anything is to do more or better and preferably both in your job.
You don't understand my gig, which is fine, but, I cannot get promoted by doing more work. It's just not that kind of job situation. Also, I am extremely good at my job. Again, this has nothing to do with promotion in my company. That's just how it is, as difficult as it is to understand. Thanks for your input otherwise.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
You don't understand my gig, which is fine, but, I cannot get promoted by doing more work. It's just not that kind of job situation. Also, I am extremely good at my job. Again, this has nothing to do with promotion in my company. That's just how it is, as difficult as it is to understand. Thanks for your input otherwise.
So you are in a job where doing more and better work won't get you promoted and create opportunities? You are right, I don't know your gig. That is a situation that I couldn't put myself in.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #20
JakesRJT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 3.6L V6
Maybe I read it wrong (tone of voice sometimes is hard to comprehend using texts) but from what I've read of everyone's posts and your responses it sounds like you've already made up your mind because it seems that you got a bit defensive...

Also you're not telling us what job you're currently doing so it's making it somewhat difficult to relate to a job with no advancement opportunites or promotions...

Either way I'm going to have to agree with pretty much what everyone else has said... If you don't want to quit your current career and it wont interfere with your current career's hours or production then go for it... I see no problem in putting yourself in a position for possible advancement in another career...
Old 02-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #21
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
I have somewhat been down this road but not to the extent you are. Having two jobs most of the time is not an issue at all, if you do real estate on the side but are a construction worker by day, good for you no harm done, the morality and company issue is when your doing the same job in both companies possibly taking away from eithers business. Eg I work for a moving company, if I worked at Taco Bell at night, no big deal. If I worked for another moving company at night, I would be fired
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #22
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
In Indiana, if you are working for company "A" and then performing work for employer "B" during those same hours and are compensated then you can be charged with ghost employment, a felony!
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #23
You Won't
Nothin wrong with dreamin

Drives: Camaro SS
I'm not sure that everyone is understanding what you are saying about picking the hours that you work. There is nothing unethical about working 2 jobs. I would venture to say that a few of us here had single parents, or knows someone that does, that work 2 or even 3 jobs at once to attain their goals, whether it was to support their family or whatever. From a management standpoint, a lot of times that is considered a strong work ethic because it shows that you are a dedicated person. What you are dedicated to really doesn't matter to them. I have been in management for 20 years and every company I have worked for views it that way or in a similar manner. I have also had 2 jobs at the same time before as well. However, my 2nd job was just a weekend deal. As it has been stated however, it becomes a problem if your 2nd job is a competitor in the line of whatever your job is. This becomes a conflict of interest and is handled in different ways. Since you stated that your job is a contract job of sorts, you need to look into the terms of employment and be sure that it does not state that your work should be conducted during a set time frame in the day. Regardless of the fact that you are salaried and that you have the option to work from home, there could still be a stipulation in there regarding that particular point. I have seen it before because certain companies have different values and do not want you conducting business on their behalf after a certain time of day because it could give someone the wrong impression, so to speak. Take it for what it's worth but that would be where I would start. Hope this helps. Good luck.
You Won't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #24
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Essentially, a salary is paid for work performed. The company can decide on what they consider a "salaried" employee. Where I work, our company says everyone is a salaried employee, although some are exempt and some are non-exempt. Salary paid may or may not be paid in equal installments, but must be paid in regular periods or as prescribed by the agreement between the employer and employee.

Now, if you are an exempt employee, they do not have to pay you overtime (Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938) at time and one half your hourly or hourly equivalent (usually figured as Annual Salary divided by 2080 hours but could be different) rate if you work over 40 hours per week. But you also need to "qualify" for exempt. If you're a contracted employee, that usually means you likely qualify for exempt status. It isn't the employer's call on if you are exempt or non-exempt. There are certain criteria that must be met.

If you are under contract, you need to read and understand the stipulations of the contract. There's usually a non-compete clause, ethics clause, or other specialty clauses that could get you terminated. So you may need to be careful. If you're supposed to be "available" during a certain time of the day for work, you also couldn't work another job (legally) during your compensated time frame. While it may be considered unproductive time, you are still "on the clock" during whatever time period that happens to be, if any.

There 's a slew of laws and regulations concerning employment law. And interestingly, many states simply use Federal Labor Laws as their own. I think Georgia Labor Laws pretty much state that upfront. Straight and to the point.

Assuming you're in an at-will employment status, you usually only need to worry about any conflict of interest and any overlap work periods. Like doing other company's work while on the clock of another company. If you can separate those, then generally you should be ok.

Before taking the other job, I'd seek some professional advice from a lawyer familiar with employment law in your state.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #25
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Does your contract explicitly state that you can't work two dissimilar jobs? As long as you're not working for a competitor or a client where a conflict of interest might exist, take advantage of your favorable position. You're never moving up as a freelancer or contract associate, so you should develop your career within your ability.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #26
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
There's NOTHING illegal or unethical about what you are considering doing. But to address something else you mentioned, I used to be a personnel consultant and I would advise that you NOT mention both jobs when seeking future employment because you can clearly see from this thread that many potential employers would have a problem with the fact that you were working two full time jobs.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #27
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
There's NOTHING illegal or unethical about what you are considering doing.
If he's working another job BETWEEN contracts, then I would agree. But the mention of working a 9-5 job sounds to me that he means that he's obligated his time, including his non-productive time, to be "ready" to do work between said hours. Again, what does the agreement or contract between him and the company say? Work 5-7pm on another job, then who cares?

It's the same as if the receptionist in an office reads a magazine waiting for the phone to ring or someone to walk in the door during time at work. You're still on the company's time, even though no real work is being performed. Can't work at selling Amsoil during the non-productive time at work, usually. Fine print is the king of the day here.

Personally? I'd do what was right for you, and for GOD's sake tell nobody else if you even question the stipulations. Then you won't ever have to explain anything. Cuz nothing is illegal/unethical until you get caught!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #28
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Hrmm. I get paid to do a job. The hours aren't set, which is what salary is defined as--I posted this already.
Yes, but you don't understand it. You're hours aren't set because you're considered a professional and potentially available at any time. The upside is the same as the downside; your hours aren't set so if you work less hours you still get the same pay.

They don't pay you for time worked, they pay you to work for them exclusively. When you're employed and salaried you don't get to work for someone else without prior approval.

If you were hourly, it would be different. If you were a contractor, it would be different.

Quote:
Don't you think it's kind of a society thing that a salaried job must be completed in the 9-5 hours? Why can't one do the work outside of those hours--competently--and still be paid for it? And why is that unethical?
You don't have set hours; you're always (potentially at least) "on the clock".

Quote:
I guess the real question is, if I am doing both jobs correctly and my bosses are happy, who cares? The fact that I don't have enough work to keep me busy at my current job is a silly point--probably most people wish they had less work, and since I have less work, I'm not going to ask for more. Right?
You don't have enough work at your current job because you haven't asked for more and don't want to (based on your previous post). That's called sandbagging.

Your boss wouldn't be happy if you told him you were working another job (based on your previous post). That's double-dipping and it could lead to you being fired as well as giving you a bad reputation (along the lines of theft, it's that serious).

The information about why it's wrong is obvious in your own posts. I don't know why you need our advice about it.

Everybody likes that one part of their job where they get paid. Man up and own doing the work too, which means if you're able to accomplish more work then do it. Think about all the problems in the world that are caused by the shitty attitudes of people at work and don't add to it.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote