Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #113
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Depends on which benchmark, on a track yes, but straight line, I wouldn't say easy, but I hope you are right.

I wouldn't say destroyed, that's a strong word and I think it would mean the Camaro has beat the competition in every category which it has not. The Camaro is a great car, but it hasn't destroyed the competition. If it truly did then there should be no competition anymore.

I love that pic, but I have to say thats a 700HP plus pic:cool pics:

I agree 100%

Unfortunately the rest of the world takes this into equation and a lot of buyers use this figures.

Exactly so they also need to listen to the consumer. Give us more HP We lost the Camaro once, I don't want to loose it again.
It's always competition no matter how bad you defeat your competitor. But the Camaro outsold the Mustang over that span by around 30,000 units. That's a lot of cars.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #114
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Exactly. The Europeans are already showing us what can be done when you couple a efficient and powerful engine with powerful electric motor assist. Imagine a 500hp LT1 coupled with a pair of 200hp electric assist motors. Lower emissions and better fuel economy than a current Chevy Cruze. Like some are saying now, electric assist might save the performance engines/cars. But I would imagine this is still a few years away from the Camaro.
That would make for a 900hp camaro

That's 918 and P1 territory...just hopefully not at their price points!

9 second camaro, anyone..?
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #115
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
That would make for a 900hp camaro

That's 918 and P1 territory...just hopefully not at their price points!

9 second camaro, anyone..?
Exactly, extreme example granted....but that's what this kind of technology offers. To me if there would ever been a AWD Camaro, it would be that kind of setup. More than likely the Zora (if it exists) would be the candidate for this.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #116
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
It's always competition no matter how bad you defeat your competitor. But the Camaro outsold the Mustang over that span by around 30,000 units. That's a lot of cars.
I can't see how that number will continue when competition got much stiffer. Also how much of those 30,000 extra cars they sold net$ you last year?
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #117
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
I can't see how that number will continue when competition got much stiffer. Also how much of those 30,000 extra cars they sold net$ you last year?
Competition got much stiffer? What exactly do you mean? The new Mustang PP can't beat the outgoing 1LE, so they didn't get better handling. It isn't faster in the 1/4 than last gen Mustang. The looks are questionable, some like some hate it. The interior is much nicer, but the Challenger is way better. And speaking of the Challenger last month was the first time it has been in 2nd place in sales since the Camaro's debut. So obviously anything it previously brought to the table was not enough to compete with the Mustang and is still the case since the Mustang out sold the Challenger 2 to 1 last month.

So one can only conclude Mustang sales are due to diehards upgrading, an Ecoboost option, and general newness of the car. How many of those will ensure it stays on top of sales in the next few years?.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #118
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
They need a 485-525 NA motor and a 675 - 700 FI motor ...

Competes on two levels with Dodge from a numbers level. SRT8 and Hellcat

Easily outdoes Fords 5.0 motor and possibly their 5.2 NA , also their turbo 6 raptor/GT motor.

Again from a numbers stand point... If they ever do a mid engine corvette it will need those numbers to be in the game with the GT.

Granted less weight doesn't need higher hp to perform but you draw them in to the dealer with numbers get them buying with a solid driving car.
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #119
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
Chevrolet will most likely combine the ZL1 and Z/28 characteristics like they did with the Z06 and ZR1.

In doing so they will give it a downgraded LT4 similar to the CTS-V.

This is the most logical and probably most financially sound move in my opinion. I doubt there will be any significant surprises like a new engine or something.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #120
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
From Nov 2014 to now I believe Mustang sales has been leading. But the Camaro closed out 2014 on top for the year. But that has nothing to do with hp, but more with the Mustang new styling and a four banger.. Thus proving HP is not what everyone is going for..
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #121
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
From Nov 2014 to now I believe Mustang sales has been leading. But the Camaro closed out 2014 on top for the year. But that has nothing to do with hp, but more with the Mustang new styling and a four banger.. Thus proving HP is not what everyone is going for..
The "horsepower" wars are amongst the gt500/zl1/hellcats not the basic v6/turbo4/ v8 cars. While it still plays a roll the big numbers really matter when its about the big dogs. In that aspect the camaro is 4th out of 4 cars. Not a good spot to be in.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #122
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
The "horsepower" wars are amongst the gt500/zl1/hellcats not the basic v6/turbo4/ v8 cars. While it still plays a roll the big numbers really matter when its about the big dogs. In that aspect the camaro is 4th out of 4 cars. Not a good spot to be in.
I would agree to that. It definitely helps sales in that particular segment. And it would be 3rd out of the 3 right?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #123
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Look at what percentage of total sales the GT500/Hellcat/ZL1/ Z/28 of their respective models these cars make up. That should tell you how important the war really is. In every one of these cars it's the fleet sales and lower trim cars that carry the load. The Hellcat moved the dodge up based solely on marketing. The same way Transformers put the Camaro in the spotlight. The Mustang had a year long campaign to make sure everyone knew it was coming. The bragging rights camp is not who keeps the Camaro alive. As much as you want to think we do, the 4th gen proved that. GM has to appeal to a broader spectrum.

So they have to balance power, performance, style, and luxury. You can't win every category for the price of the Camaro.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #124
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its part of Chrysler's code-naming system for engines. The general rule is that they pick an old warplane name (in this case, the F6F Hellcat fighter) as the placeholder while an engine is under development. For some reason or another, the name stuck with the supercharged hemis and thus, we now have a Hellcat Charger & Hellcat Challenger.
P-47 Thunderbolt would fit good for it was big, heavy, and powerful. Guess P-51 Mustang and P-38 Lightning will not be used for code naming
Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #125
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
P-47 Thunderbolt would fit good for it was big, heavy, and powerful. Guess P-51 Mustang and P-38 Lightning will not be used for code naming
They'd never get the licensing for Thunderbolt away from Apple. Hellcat was easy since Northrop Grumman owned it and probably wasn't thinking about using it again.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #126
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Chevrolet will most likely combine the ZL1 and Z/28 characteristics like they did with the Z06 and ZR1.

In doing so they will give it a downgraded LT4 similar to the CTS-V.
I don't really see this happening, as the ZL1 and Z28 are two completely different cars with different goals (high performance, track focused), as opposed to the Z06 and ZR1 which were high performance and higher performance corvette models.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote