Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #99
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
While the retro thing is cool along with history, I think its a good thing Dodge think outside the box with this name. I mean, can we get new thing instead of always bringing old names/model/code back?!!

Hellcat is a monster, the name is perfect! This car is going the be an iconic car. Value is gonna stay sky-high too. The value is incredible.

I'm all in for a 650hp ZL1, but price has to be right (same or less than Hellcat).
I agree. At some point in the past, those historic nameplates that everyone wants brought back had no history associated them. It's time to take a chance on a nameplate that will broaden the buyer base, as it has for the Challenger.

I find it ironic that Ford and GM understand that appeasing only the enthusiasts on forums like this won't keep a nameplate alive, yet they insist on naming the trims as they did in the past.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #100
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tinkerer View Post
Well there you go!
When you think about it, its not too different from how the Z28 or ZL1 got their name. GM had some internal nonsense name, and it ended up being 'the' name for those cars. But ultimately, the name has no real significance relative to the car. If things were slightly different, there might have been a road course ready Z/29 Camaro or a ZK2 Camaro with an incredibly powerful engine. And in that slightly altered timeline, there might even be a Wildcat or Corsair Challenger & Charger.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #101
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Chevy doesn't set the bar with horsepower.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #102
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its part of Chrysler's code-naming system for engines. The general rule is that they pick an old warplane name (in this case, the F6F Hellcat fighter) as the placeholder while an engine is under development. For some reason or another, the name stuck with the supercharged hemis and thus, we now have a Hellcat Charger & Hellcat Challenger.
That's actually pretty awesome
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #103
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Its part of Chrysler's code-naming system for engines. The general rule is that they pick an old warplane name (in this case, the F6F Hellcat fighter) as the placeholder while an engine is under development. For some reason or another, the name stuck with the supercharged hemis and thus, we now have a Hellcat Charger & Hellcat Challenger.
Funny enough it has some of the qualities of it's namesake. The F6F was built to counter the Zero. It was much more powerful but could not turn as fast as the Zero. One could say the same for the Hellcat vs. ZL1.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #104
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks that's just what I wanted to know.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #105
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
so if dodge is at 707 and people are betting on the GT500 to peak 700 why are so many people so happy with 650 and so hell bent on GM NOT delivering the power to compete. Do people like being underdogs? worried about MSRP? I really dont get it. People keep getting flamed for suggusting GM keep up with the pack. Alot has changed since the introduction of the 5th gen. There is fierce competition now. Dont expect Camaro sales to keep climbing if they stop delivering. Im a GM guy, im rooting for the Camaro but im very tempted now.
It's now a fierce competition based on 4 months of sales?? Let's not push the panic button yet. It took Ford 3 body styles, a refresh, and a nice GT350 buzz to get there. It has taken Dodge to build a 700 HP Challenger to get in the conversation. GM hasn't stopped delivering
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #106
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
It's now a fierce competition based on 4 months of sales?? Let's not push the panic button yet. It took Ford 3 body styles, a refresh, and a nice GT350 buzz to get there. It has taken Dodge to build a 700 HP Challenger to get in the conversation. GM hasn't stopped delivering
Kidding right? The mustang sales have stayed strong even with a long body style run. The gt500 has always sold well and been fast. The gt350 is a whole different animal that Chevy will need to worry about. Dodges number have slowly been on the upswing the the newer models have really made a strong push in sales. I'd rather Chevy be proactive than reactive.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #107
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Kidding right? The mustang sales have stayed strong even with a long body style run. The gt500 has always sold well and been fast. The gt350 is a whole different animal that Chevy will need to worry about. Dodges number have slowly been on the upswing the the newer models have really made a strong push in sales. I'd rather Chevy be proactive than reactive.
I'm not kidding. From 2009-2014 the Camaro outsold both Mustang and Challenger..
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #108
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
To me...all car companies are reactive. Dodge is doing okay now in sales, mostly due to what SRT has done to the Challenger and Charger. Ford was always doing okay in sales period. For a time, Camaro was in the lead when the 5gen came out. So really...Camaro 5th gen has set the bar high enough to where Ford and Dodge had to react. Now Camaro 6th gen, I feel, will set the bar up again and maybe even higher.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #109
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I have faith.
The fatt catt is an easy benchmark/target.
Depends on which benchmark, on a track yes, but straight line, I wouldn't say easy, but I hope you are right.

Quote:
Yep... I just don't see why a car that has destroyed its competitors from 2009-2014, would change their entire direction.,
I wouldn't say destroyed, that's a strong word and I think it would mean the Camaro has beat the competition in every category which it has not. The Camaro is a great car, but it hasn't destroyed the competition. If it truly did then there should be no competition anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
How do you top a Hellcat? How about a Helldog!
I love that pic, but I have to say thats a 700HP plus pic:cool pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
so if dodge is at 707 and people are betting on the GT500 to peak 700 why are so many people so happy with 650 and so hell bent on GM NOT delivering the power to compete. Do people like being underdogs? worried about MSRP? I really dont get it. People keep getting flamed for suggusting GM keep up with the pack. Alot has changed since the introduction of the 5th gen. There is fierce competition now. Dont expect Camaro sales to keep climbing if they stop delivering. Im a GM guy, im rooting for the Camaro but im very tempted now.
I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Chevy doesn't set the bar with horsepower.
Unfortunately the rest of the world takes this into equation and a lot of buyers use this figures.

Quote:
It's not that.. I wouldn't turn down a 700 HP Camaro, but it's not the direction of the company. I want the Camaro to stick around. So GM needs to stay where they are successful..
Exactly so they also need to listen to the consumer. Give us more HP We lost the Camaro once, I don't want to loose it again.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #110
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
This Al Oppenheiser quote from June 2015 Hot Rod is little out of context but still fits this conversation. Chevy has defined performance differently and is why I don't see Dodge as a competitor. It's Chevy vs Ford and the next GT500 is going to bring it all. That's why I predict for gen6 a very capable 1LE with LT1, Z/28 with LT4 and ZL1 TBD.

Interesting also to hear that they are looking at incorporating electric motors into performance cars in the future.
Quote:
HRM: ...is this a performance bubble or will we see performance cars continue to improve over the next few years?

AO: Let's see. You've heard Mark Reuss say many times that Chevrolet has the most capable performance lineup we've ever had at Chevrolet. The things we do on Z/28 and ZL1 with magnetic ride and DSSV dampers. The Corvette has so much technology. We're going to incorporate much more of that to comply with future fuel economy. We're going to always be able to do performance, it's just how you define performance and the tools you have to do that. It may change to more technology-based down the road. Hey, look at it realistically, electric motors provide instant torque. That's pretty cool.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #111
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
This Al Oppenheiser quote from June 2015 Hot Rod is little out of context but still fits this conversation. Chevy has defined performance differently and is why I don't see Dodge as a competitor. It's Chevy vs Ford and the next GT500 is going to bring it all. That's why I predict for gen6 a very capable 1LE with LT1, Z/28 with LT4 and ZL1 TBD.

Interesting also to hear that they are looking at incorporating electric motors into performance cars in the future.
Exactly. The Europeans are already showing us what can be done when you couple a efficient and powerful engine with powerful electric motor assist. Imagine a 500hp LT1 coupled with a pair of 200hp electric assist motors. Lower emissions and better fuel economy than a current Chevy Cruze. Like some are saying now, electric assist might save the performance engines/cars. But I would imagine this is still a few years away from the Camaro.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #112
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Exactly. The Europeans are already showing us what can be done when you couple a efficient and powerful engine with powerful electric motor assist. Imagine a 500hp LT1 coupled with a pair of 200hp electric assist motors. Lower emissions and better fuel economy than a current Chevy Cruze. Like some are saying now, electric assist might save the performance engines/cars. But I would imagine this is still a few years away from the Camaro.
not to mention insane launches