Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #57
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspindlah11 View Post
I like your comments, its got me thinking.
My Cons (against Camaro): very poor visability. -always going to want a V8 -the paint is kinda cheap, chips so easily - bad in the poor weather - heavy, not very agile.
Pros for wrx: -save $147 a month in insurance. - faster - better in the winter -true drivers car -Fits my friends a lot better!
-Cons against WRX; -doesnt look as nice as Camaro - Premiuim Fuel (but better mpgs when not in boost)
Like I said before, I cant have 2 cars any more. Ill give you a little back ground story, so my all time favorite car is a 1970 Chevelle SS 454. But Love the camaros, and when i heard about the new one coming out I started saving half of my pay check every week to save up for this car. I went to test drive it and then was gonna test drive the mustang, challenger and the wrx. I never got around to test driving the others, I ordered my car the day i test drove it. Ive just gotten so used to my car now, I just wish it had more go. Hence me wanting the SS. But its upkeep is a little steep, and id do my own work, I just dont want to buy tires so often, haha got a bit of a led foot. But the Camaro has such a history and heritage its really hard to part with something your so passionate about. Wish I had more money haha, one day. My goal right now is to save for my future. And yeah I owe 12,800 left on my Camaro and be financing $19k again but i have less on insurance, gas not having 2 cars, upkeep, I can put some money into my savings account again that hasnt grown hardly anything since i bought my 2011 Camaro.
:l alala::character0229 :
Have fun in your ricer dude ,
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #58
coreyspindlah11

Drives: 2011 Camaro Lt
It may be an import but the my camaro V6 doesnt sound far from it either :/. Thats exactly my point, ill always want an SS. And there are things about the SS that i wouldnt be able to keep affording and upkeeping. Love that car though. But id rather have an old chevy and build something. See what the future holds.
coreyspindlah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #59
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I guess I'm just out of touch with modern day expectations. I grew up before front-wheel drive was available except for an odd French vehicle that I can't spell and Swedish vehicle from a company that should have stayed with aircraft. I frequently drove a pick-up on snowy roads and off-road as well, with nothing more than mud & snow tires--no extra weight in the bed--and never had a problem with traction. I don't claim to be the best driver in the world--two accidents in 50 years driving; stopped for speeding on numerous occasions and ticketed once. However, I'm not sure today's drivers possess the same skills--or they wouldn't be running from a Camaro just because of some snow. Put the right tires on it and learn to control the right foot! Sorry if I step on some toes and offend anyone!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #60
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
OP I have been wrestling with the same decision myself.

My winter beater is basically in need of a few thousand dollars worth of repairs. I don't want another winter beater, and I don't want to blow my savings fixing my old jeep.

I also don't want to get rid of my Camaro LOL. I can afford two car payments (mine and the wife's) but I can't afford 3.

I feel your pain. It's a rock and a hard place bud. I'm leaning towards fixing my beater and just throwing money at it.

Do what ya gotta do tho bro. Best of luck to you. You have to do what's best for you.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #61
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
I'd hate to say it also, but i think im in the same shoes... Hell my LS is only about 3500 from being paid off and im thinking about getting rid of it. i have only had it since march of this year. for me is a fun car i guess so. do i get the "perm-a-grin" when im in it not really. i guess i purchased it with the intentions as a dd. i put 5000 miles on it. im thinkinkg about taking my equity and getting something a little bigger (a 4dr car) and take my cash that i had to pay off this and put it down on a tahoe
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #62
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
OP I have been wrestling with the same decision myself.

My winter beater is basically in need of a few thousand dollars worth of repairs. I don't want another winter beater, and I don't want to blow my savings fixing my old jeep.

I also don't want to get rid of my Camaro LOL. I can afford two car payments (mine and the wife's) but I can't afford 3.

I feel your pain. It's a rock and a hard place bud. I'm leaning towards fixing my beater and just throwing money at it.

Do what ya gotta do tho bro. Best of luck to you. You have to do what's best for you.
I say ditch the beater and get some steel wheels and snow tires for the Camaro! I dont' just say that because it's exactly what I do now. A while back I had a beautiful Cadillac STS and a winter beater. I got in the same situation as you and I sold the Caddy and kept the beater. I have always regretted it. I should have kept the perfect Caddy and driven the heck out of it. Live and learn.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #63
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
I guess I'm just out of touch with modern day expectations. I grew up before front-wheel drive was available except for an odd French vehicle that I can't spell and Swedish vehicle from a company that should have stayed with aircraft. I frequently drove a pick-up on snowy roads and off-road as well, with nothing more than mud & snow tires--no extra weight in the bed--and never had a problem with traction. I don't claim to be the best driver in the world--two accidents in 50 years driving; stopped for speeding on numerous occasions and ticketed once. However, I'm not sure today's drivers possess the same skills--or they wouldn't be running from a Camaro just because of some snow. Put the right tires on it and learn to control the right foot! Sorry if I step on some toes and offend anyone!

No offense here ... I completely agree, I don't know when the modern rear wheel drive car became so bad to drive in weather. We were never stopped by rain, snow or ice ... I just don't get it.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #64
coreyspindlah11

Its not just the snow thing. Its the fact the V6 will never make me as happy as an SS will. Its the fact that its a pain in the ass to park and visibility is so poor. I cant carry any of my friends in the back seat and that it doesnt need to be as big as it is, its not a muscle car its a pony car. Back in the day they were light weight with big blocks. Dont get me wrong I love it. If i got an SS i wouldnt be able to keep swapping tires over, they are kind of pricy and as I said before i punch it every chance I get. Just an expensive car to upkeep.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #65
Liltuffgirl

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I had an STi and had all season tires on it all year round. It would still slide but at least it was very controllable!! I did LOVE that car. Never had any issues with it and it had a salvage title.

Have you driven a stock WRX? They really aren't all that fast... Granted I was looking at 2005 models.... And drove an STi first... The WRX left a lot to be desired.
BUT easy to upgrade... I did stage 2 on my STi and amazing how much that changed things.

2013 SS
Liltuffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #66
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspindlah11 View Post
Its not just the snow thing. Its the fact the V6 will never make me as happy as an SS will. Its the fact that its a pain in the ass to park and visibility is so poor. I cant carry any of my friends in the back seat and that it doesnt need to be as big as it is, its not a muscle car its a pony car. Back in the day they were light weight with big blocks. Dont get me wrong I love it. If i got an SS i wouldnt be able to keep swapping tires over, they are kind of pricy and as I said before i punch it every chance I get. Just an expensive car to upkeep.
:l alala::lal ala::lalal a: :whitevert shift:

Enjoy your Ricer Dude!!!!
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #67
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I like how you keep saying you're going to have to change out tires all the time. I hotrod my ss frequently as with all my previous cars and from experience the only time the tires wear that fast is when you're spinning them which means you're not moving anyway :-P lol we all get it though when I was 16 mini trucks and civics were the "in car" these days it's wrx's and lancers. Times be a changin' lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #68
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I say ditch the beater and get some steel wheels and snow tires for the Camaro! I dont' just say that because it's exactly what I do now. A while back I had a beautiful Cadillac STS and a winter beater. I got in the same situation as you and I sold the Caddy and kept the beater. I have always regretted it. I should have kept the perfect Caddy and driven the heck out of it. Live and learn.
Fixing the beater of course, and keeping my camaro. Too emotionally attatched to my SS to let it go.

Besides, my beater is a wrangler TJ. Fixing it at this point means modding it :-) If you're into jeeps you know they're just like Camaros in that sense. There's always something you can add to it.

Once the frame repair is done, i'm doing metalcloak fenders, a 2.5 in lift, and a tummy tuck. The fenders alone allow 35" tires. It's going to be a nice clean low cog build. 33" tires. Going to bedline the entire interior, and eventually replace the seats.

This way I have my cake and eat it too. Just more money than I want to spend. LOL
Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #69
coreyspindlah11

If i had an SS this wouldnt even be a thought. But the SS is just out of my price range to own i think ��
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #70
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
V6 is faster than a stock WRX from a roll so driving it around only feels faster because its a smaller and more nimble car. V6 is great in snow with snow tires too.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote