Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
dawgsfan

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss2
fast or not????

I just bought my wife a 2010 RS/SS2 w/automatic transmission. From what I read on here its the L99 w/35k miles. Anyway, it runs good but doesn't seem that fast to me. I installed a custom exhaust removing the resinator and installing a set of flowmasters w/ X-pipe plus did the reset for low octane fuel & both made a difference but still doesn't seem all that fast to me. I'm about to put on a C.A.I. plus either a tune from vengeance racing or a programmer. When I read what people write on here my car really seems slow. 1 guy said on his car that after doing the ecu reset his car began chirping 2nd & 3rd gears. Mine definetly don't chirp gears. It really doesn't shift that hard to me. Also it hardly even spins the tires no matter if I turn off the traction control. I've bn playing w/ traction control trying to figure out the settings as far as off, competitive mode, etc. Anyway I'm sure its been talked about all over this forum but if some1 can give me a few tricks/trades I'd be greatful. I'm even looking for info on the best add ons (that really work & make most hp). Plus I may need driving tips as well. It's bad that I have my nhra license & run 7.70 1/4 mile but can't do a burnout in a new camaro. Hahahaha. Thanks for any advise!!!!
dawgsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
Mine is the same way But i still can spin the tires at take off most of the time with all the nanny's off but still seem like its not as fast as it should be. Soon I'll be getting headers and tune. From what i heard this will wake up the car so we will see
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgsfan View Post
I just bought my wife a 2010 RS/SS2 w/automatic transmission. From what I read on here its the L99 w/35k miles. Anyway, it runs good but doesn't seem that fast to me. I installed a custom exhaust removing the resinator and installing a set of flowmasters w/ X-pipe plus did the reset for low octane fuel & both made a difference but still doesn't seem all that fast to me. I'm about to put on a C.A.I. plus either a tune from vengeance racing or a programmer. When I read what people write on here my car really seems slow. 1 guy said on his car that after doing the ecu reset his car began chirping 2nd & 3rd gears. Mine definetly don't chirp gears. It really doesn't shift that hard to me. Also it hardly even spins the tires no matter if I turn off the traction control. I've bn playing w/ traction control trying to figure out the settings as far as off, competitive mode, etc. Anyway I'm sure its been talked about all over this forum but if some1 can give me a few tricks/trades I'd be greatful. I'm even looking for info on the best add ons (that really work & make most hp). Plus I may need driving tips as well. It's bad that I have my nhra license & run 7.70 1/4 mile but can't do a burnout in a new camaro. Hahahaha. Thanks for any advise!!!!
Might SEEM slow since you drag race...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
It's the L99 and 3.27 rear end gears. Even when my car was stock I couldn't keep the tires from breaking free. Now with full bolt-ons, getting (and keeping) traction is a constant pain in my ass...
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
LakeMarySS

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
I dont understand why you are having issues. I also have a 2010 2SS/RS L99, and I can smoke the tires anytime I want to as long as TC is turned off. It also has no problem reaching speeds WELL in excess of any speed limit extremely quickly. In fact my only criticism of the L99 is that damn AFM, I hate it!
LakeMarySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
dont turn the nannys off or you be the next contestant on the look what i just did to my car contest
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
One way to tell if the car is fast is by getting into the higher gear possible, fully depressing the long pedal (on the right), and maintaining that position for a few seconds. After things outside of the vehicle become a blur, look at your dash. The higher the number, the faster the car. Feel free to post the number that shows on your dash (there a dial on the dash that will also indicate the same number), and we can then tell you if your car is fast or not.

Okay, so traction control is off, right... if you are trying to chirp/ smoke the tires? Be advised that there are three modes to traction control... you may have it in one of the modes that you THINK will allow wheelspin... but not. Hold the TC button down for about five to ten seconds. One little dash light will come on first... then after a a few seconds, ANOTHER dash light will indicate that you are fully OUT of traction control and stability control. Now light 'em up.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
dont turn the nannys off or you be the next contestant on the look what i just did to my car contest
I agree! I 've turned the nannies off, BUT, my tires are about bald so it spins rather easy with fishtailing like crazy. I tend to let off the throttle a bit when this happens before shifting into 2nd so I dont bite it and hit something. I use the nannies about 98% of the time. I rather keep my car in good shape than having it get away from me.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Get headers and a tune along with a cai and delete the AFM system and you'll be more than happy.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You mention resetting the ecu... did you try that? Do a quick search for "fuse pull" and tons of stuff will come up. You may be stuck on the low octane fuel map.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
My car is brand new, and I felt sort of the same way. Ive yet to really get on it, becuase I want to break it in. After the break in though, I plan on fully exploring what it can do. I figured that it was hot outside, plus brand new tires, on blacktop, thats why I wasnt spinning the tires. Even with both nannies completely off, I got a couple chirps.

I also hear the car wakes up a little after 1500 miles or so, doest really pertain to you though.

I think it also has something to do with it having better suspension, and smoother ride all around than my 4th gen, which is why it doesnt throw me back in my seat/ hit me hard like I think it would.

I kind of expected it to feel like it did, with the car being so heavy, I knew even 400 hp has to jump a big hurdle with all that weight.

I still think theres more power there, just has to break in, play in competitive mode, and play with nannies TC 100% off, and Im sure ill be satisfied.

Full exhaust and CAI im sure will make a big diff. And I was going to do the fuse pull after 1500 miles.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Ive chirped the tires and got loose with the traction control on mine will keep you pinned back in your seat fast. I would have it looked at, should be faster then what your describing. I also ha e a l99 and drive in sport mode 100% of the time
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Go to Vengence. They will take care of you and fix all of your needs for speed
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
My car is brand new, and I felt sort of the same way. Ive yet to really get on it, becuase I want to break it in. After the break in though, I plan on fully exploring what it can do. I figured that it was hot outside, plus brand new tires, on blacktop, thats why I wasnt spinning the tires. Even with both nannies completely off, I got a couple chirps.

I also hear the car wakes up a little after 1500 miles or so, doest really pertain to you though.

I think it also has something to do with it having better suspension, and smoother ride all around than my 4th gen, which is why it doesnt throw me back in my seat/ hit me hard like I think it would.

I kind of expected it to feel like it did, with the car being so heavy, I knew even 400 hp has to jump a big hurdle with all that weight.

I still think theres more power there, just has to break in, play in competitive mode, and play with nannies TC 100% off, and Im sure ill be satisfied.

Full exhaust and CAI im sure will make a big diff. And I was going to do the fuse pull after 1500 miles.
The best way to break it in is to drive it like you stole it, not baby it.