Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #71
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
To get this thread back on topic.....I was looking for replacement steel rotors, it would be nice to have a set for the road, and keep the CF ones for the track. Now I know 15.5 inch steel rotors will cost $$, but may be economical in the long run for a street/track car. Tires too, but thats another topic.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #72
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
To get this thread back on topic.....I was looking for replacement steel rotors, it would be nice to have a set for the road, and keep the CF ones for the track. Now I know 15.5 inch steel rotors will cost $$, but may be economical in the long run for a street/track car. Tires too, but thats another topic.
I assume it would have more to do with how much track time it sees. I feel like plenty is a bit over board, but some cars DO daily drive on carbon brakes. If it is tracked regularly expect to see that life decrease. But even so, I have read studies in the past that showed carbon brakes last a lot longer than a steel rotor setup.

The only two things that stick out to me, is buying a set of tires for street use and possibly banging up the splitter. The rest I am not concerned with really.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #73
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
We have a remedy for the splitter (splitter guard washers), just like the splitter for the ZL1. Yes a set of street tire would be nice to use.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #74
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
I think it's discraceful what I hear in this thread.. Changing tires to make it a dd.. Changing rotors to save $$.. That should be a sign to many, that are thinking about doing this, they cannot afford this car. Yeah maybe some will burn me on this but don't get offended.. The argument that "oh I can afford this hand over fist" and "I will pay cash for this car"... Bla bla blah.. You can't! This car was designed for one thing only, performance! The Z/28 name plate should not be messed with..If you want to drive this amazing machine as you daily car keep it the way it came don't dummy this car down.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #75
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I think it's discraceful what I hear in this thread.. Changing tires to make it a dd.. Changing rotors to save $$.. That should be a sign to many, that are thinking about doing this, they cannot afford this car. Yeah maybe some will burn me on this but don't get offended.. The argument that "oh I can afford this hand over fist" and "I will pay cash for this car"... Bla bla blah.. You can't! This car was designed for one thing only, performance! The Z/28 name plate should not be messed with..If you want to drive this amazing machine as you daily car keep it the way it came don't dummy this car down.
I would only be changing the tires, for more street friendly tires. What good is a set of track tires, if they are used up by the time I make it to a track day? I am a purist to the bone, but to me it only makes sense to swap tires for daily use. I never drove my drag radial Camaro on the street with the drag radials, I swapped for street tires for daily use. Also, I am willing to bet in 1969 most buyers swapped out tires...
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #76
Al C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
I would only be changing the tires, for more street friendly tires. What good is a set of track tires, if they are used up by the time I make it to a track day? I am a purist to the bone, but to me it only makes sense to swap tires for daily use. I never drove my drag radial Camaro on the street with the drag radials, I swapped for street tires for daily use. Also, I am willing to bet in 1969 most buyers swapped out tires...
That should answer the question as to if the Z/28, the true factory z/28 is a good dd.. No.
You can put anything you'd like on ur car but tires alone doesn't make the Z/28, carbon ceramic brakes doesn't make the Z/28, ls7, doesn't make the Z/28... If you can figure out what make this car a true Z/28 then ud understand and would
not change a thing and enjoy it for what it was designed for.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #77
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Actually 2 things. 1, performance, 2 garage queen. Because if you think for one second, GM or Chevy didnt think this car would be collectible in those regards as well? Then you youd be mistaken. I'd be willing to bet that out of 4000 ( if the build number gets that high) built Z/28s, Only 20% will ever hit a track.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #78
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Actually 2 things. 1, performance, 2 garage queen. Because if you think for one second, GM or Chevy didnt think this car would be collectible in those regards as well? Then you youd be mistaken. I'd be willing to bet that out of 4000 ( if the build number gets that high) built Z/28s, Only 20% will ever hit a track.
My guess would be lower than that. I'm thinking 5%.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #79
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
If someone wants to buy a Z/28 and change the brakes and tires it is no one else's concern.

It is their car and their money and they can do what ever they want with it.

You must have been horrified to see the salt covered Z/28 that was driven from Michigan to Oshawa on snow tires.

Thats why I said the ZL1 would be my choice if I were buying one or the other it is already set up for DD use but thats only MHO.

I think the OP has his heart set on a Z/28 and if that's what he wants and thinks will be a good DD all the power to him.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #80
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
OP, it all depends on your personal "mindset"...

If you can live with the "quirks" (read absence of luxury items we all deem necessary) of the Z/28 (as in no radio, and no A/C) you'll be fine...

If you live in a warm area, then check the optional A/C, if you're driving for hours and hours in one go.

If you think the sound deadening won't be adequate, I'd suggest taking a trip to a Lotus dealer and drive an Elise (and then consider that the current one is a much improved version of the original one that hat no isolation whatsoever).

If you take it to a "track", I assume you mean a racetrack and not a drag strip.. if so, consider the ZL1 instead of the Z/28, the latter not being made for pure straight line performance.

All in all, in the end, it's all a matter of personal choice. Good luck with whatever one you choose, but both cars are definitely going to be great fun to drive.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #81
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
The Z/28 is probably the worst daily driver GM has come out with in 40 yrs. it's just not built for that.
For most people that's probably true.

But for people who don't give a single hoot about all the features that the Z/28 is missing, there aren't many choices. Maybe not any, because you can't make a choice between one thing and itself.

A/C and some sort of stereo are apparently optional, and that would be enough for me. I don't even want most of the crap they're adding to cars these days. I'd source my own summer performance street tires for the street driving, in 200-ish treadwear.

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #82
Al C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
If someone wants to buy a Z/28 and change the brakes and tires it is no one else's concern.

It is their car and their money and they can do what ever they want with it.

You must have been horrified to see the salt covered Z/28 that was driven from Michigan to Oshawa on snow tires.

Thats why I said the ZL1 would be my choice if I were buying one or the other it is already set up for DD use but thats only MHO.

I think the OP has his heart set on a Z/28 and if that's what he wants and thinks will be a good DD all the power to him.
The OP is asking a question... I gave my opinion as you did.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #83
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
That should answer the question as to if the Z/28, the true factory z/28 is a good dd.. No.
You can put anything you'd like on ur car but tires alone doesn't make the Z/28, carbon ceramic brakes doesn't make the Z/28, ls7, doesn't make the Z/28... If you can figure out what make this car a true Z/28 then ud understand and would
not change a thing and enjoy it for what it was designed for.
Most camaros on this site are not stock. Why leave the Z/28 stock?

Buy a second set of wheels (which once again most on here have done anyway) and drive the crap out of the car. The LS7 on the street is a beast in the corvette and probably the same in the Camaro.

Throw on the trofeos for a track event and do work!
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #84
Al C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
Most camaros on this site are not stock. Why leave the Z/28 stock?

Buy a second set of wheels (which once again most on here have done anyway) and drive the crap out of the car. The LS7 on the street is a beast in the corvette and probably the same in the Camaro.

Throw on the trofeos for a track event and do work!