Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #491
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
What the Dr said X2

Also request a drive along with a tech in the passenger seat and put the issue on
display for the technician now passenger!!!!!!
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #492
usnavydoc

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3, 2012 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer4251 View Post
dealer said they couldnt find any info in the system about any transmission problems. said the trans felt fine, they compaired it to a used 2010 on the lot. also they couldnt get it to miss 2nd at 5700 rpm. was told to bring it back in when it acts up again
You should let the car cool back down. The grind tends to happen when the transmission temperature is cold. When my console gauge shows the transmission temp is at 180 degrees, I don't get the grind. At least not yet.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #493
HardrockSS
Drive Fast Take Chances

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
well mine just did it going on the highway 2nd gear at 3,500-5500 rpm wouldn't let me go into 3rd at all grinding noise tranny was warm believe me 5,600 mi and it's a m-10
HardrockSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #494
Dr. Krabz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Now in addition to this problem, my transmission just started making an awful noise when in 1st and 2nd gear. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like it is winding up like a jet engine about to take off. Any ideas what this might be?
Dr. Krabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #495
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Krabz View Post
Now in addition to this problem, my transmission just started making an awful noise when in 1st and 2nd gear. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like it is winding up like a jet engine about to take off. Any ideas what this might be?
Sounds like what use to happen in the old days... a cracked synchro. But not even sure if that is possible without damaging rest of the transmission.

Last edited by Orange Krate; 06-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #496
Dr. Krabz

I don't know what is going on with this thing. It just hit 4k miles the other day and it has been babied from day 1. The transmission has been nothing but trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Sounds like what use to happen in the old days... a cracked synchro. But not even sure if that is possible without damaging rest of the transmission.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #497
Geo4K
Buying it next year

Drives: 1 LT
I had my heart set on a MT Camaro - it would be the best way to keep my wife and kids from driving it. This thread is giving me second thoughts. It must be bad, a simple google search would show that lawyers are already lining up about it.

What-cha gonna do?
Geo4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #498
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo4K View Post
I had my heart set on a MT Camaro - it would be the best way to keep my wife and kids from driving it. This thread is giving me second thoughts. It must be bad, a simple google search would show that lawyers are already lining up about it.

What-cha gonna do?
Buy the ZL1! Different M6 Tremec transmission! If the big boys can get by the Cruze recall maybe they can address the manual trans issues mentioned here. I will nurse mine until it breaks. Then I am going to see if I can transplant the ZL trans in the car. CURED.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #499
parietta

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Tremec TR6060 1st/2nd gear grinding

Thanks for all of the great information here. I have a 2011 2SS/RS LS3 6sp and have been experiencing this same problem since purchasing the car used a little more than a year and half ago with just over 2400 miles on it. Mine only seems to grind 1st to 2nd in the mornings when the car is cold. What I've done to avoid it is to either be as gentle as possible pullling the stick (Hurst Shifter) into 2nd while the trans is still heating up or by simply avoiding the 1st to 2nd shift entirely by starting out in 2nd. Mine is due for servicing soon at nearly 14.5K miles so I will have the dealer (Folsom Chevrolet) take a look. I'll also provide this thread so that we can hopefully despense with any questions regarding user error, preceptions, etc.. Thanks everyone!
parietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #500
usnavydoc

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3, 2012 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by parietta View Post
Thanks for all of the great information here. I have a 2011 2SS/RS LS3 6sp and have been experiencing this same problem since purchasing the car used a little more than a year and half ago with just over 2400 miles on it. Mine only seems to grind 1st to 2nd in the mornings when the car is cold. What I've done to avoid it is to either be as gentle as possible pullling the stick (Hurst Shifter) into 2nd while the trans is still heating up or by simply avoiding the 1st to 2nd shift entirely by starting out in 2nd. Mine is due for servicing soon at nearly 14.5K miles so I will have the dealer (Folsom Chevrolet) take a look. I'll also provide this thread so that we can hopefully despense with any questions regarding user error, preceptions, etc.. Thanks everyone!
Once your transmission temperature gauge reaches close to 180 you should be fine. I go from 1 to 3 until the temp of the transmission is up. Will be trying royal purple transmission soon and see if it gets better.
usnavydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #501
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Thumbs up ROYAL PURPLE and ORANGES do MIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavydoc View Post
Once your transmission temperature gauge reaches close to 180 you should be fine. I go from 1 to 3 until the temp of the transmission is up. Will be trying royal purple transmission soon and see if it gets better.
I finally broke down and did a full Royal Purple service on the trans and differential. There was some metal debris on the differential magnetized plug which could have been casting debris. The transmission fluid smelled burned. I have NEVER raced the car or even burned the tires in fear of toasting the clutch and notchy trans. The car has 12,500 miles when I performed the change. I know this is not possible but it honestly feels like it picked up horsepower... but I think it is the reduced friction and the smooth shifting that makes it feel quicker running through gears. The trans is not nearly as notchy and although getting into reverse at times has been a bear, it feels like it goes into reverse gear easier with less binding and resistance. Although I have only put on a few local street miles, I will be hitting the highway in a couple of weeks and try it out for a 200+ mile round trip.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #502
Dr. Krabz

I don't know if this has been brought up here yet, but the thought occurred to me that the skip shift feature of the transmission might be to blame for part of the problem. I am certainly no expert, so I am just speculating based on logic and what basic knowledge I have of complex transmissions. Perhaps there is a solenoid in there which might get slightly stuck when a skip shift is not required by the computer, and the shifting rubs against it causing the sound and vibration. Just a thought...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #503
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Krabz View Post
I don't know if this has been brought up here yet, but the thought occurred to me that the skip shift feature of the transmission might be to blame for part of the problem. I am certainly no expert, so I am just speculating based on logic and what basic knowledge I have of complex transmissions. Perhaps there is a solenoid in there which might get slightly stuck when a skip shift is not required by the computer, and the shifting rubs against it causing the sound and vibration. Just a thought...
Dr. Krabz I have the skip shift eliminator installed and with or without it it didn't change the feeling or ease of shifting. However it does allow me to shift when I want to as opposed to when the microcomputer allows me to. The problem from all that I have read is most likely transmission tolerances and alignment of gear clusters. In one case an individual had synchro gears installed backwards on the trans assemblyline! This tells me there is some real questions to be answered about QA/QI at the Tremec facility. Hey things happen, we are all human but there are too many complaints about the same thing which indicates a QA issue.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #504
Dr. Krabz

That makes sense, I was just brainstorming. I hope we can get to the bottom of this soon and GM takes a firm stance to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Dr. Krabz I have the skip shift eliminator installed and with or without it it didn't change the feeling or ease of shifting. However it does allow me to shift when I want to as opposed to when the microcomputer allows me to. The problem from all that I have read is most likely transmission tolerances and alignment of gear clusters. In one case an individual had synchro gears installed backwards on the trans assemblyline! This tells me there is some real questions to be answered about QA/QI at the Tremec facility. Hey things happen, we are all human but there are too many complaints about the same thing which indicates a QA issue.