Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2024, 08:59 AM   #1
V8egoV4capabilities

Drives: Mercedes W204 6spd
2018 Low Mile 1ss Value

Hello everyone,

I am looking at a 2018 1SS 6spd, minimal options with less then 4k miles. Price would be 36.5k. Pretty close to MSRP but is this where the market is right now? Looking for a great long term, reliable DD. What are your thoughts?
V8egoV4capabilities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:21 AM   #2
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Overpriced a bit. The days of paying original msrp for a 3 year old vehicle are gone. Anyone that says otherwise is in denial. The car is now 6 years old. Yes the miles are low but it’s 6 years old. Personally I wouldn’t pay more than low 30’s for it and that’s pushing it.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:51 AM   #3
V8egoV4capabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Overpriced a bit. The days of paying original msrp for a 3 year old vehicle are gone. Anyone that says otherwise is in denial. The car is now 6 years old. Yes the miles are low but it’s 6 years old. Personally I wouldn’t pay more than low 30’s for it and that’s pushing it.

That's what I was thinking about it's age but I also have not found any comparables for sale with similar miles. It seems like most places are asking low to mid 30's for those years with around 40k or so miles. It doesn't feel like a good deal but then I compare it to what's out then and in that regard it seems fairly priced.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:10 PM   #4
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8egoV4capabilities View Post
That's what I was thinking about it's age but I also have not found any comparables for sale with similar miles. It seems like most places are asking low to mid 30's for those years with around 40k or so miles. It doesn't feel like a good deal but then I compare it to what's out then and in that regard it seems fairly priced.
Asking price is very different from selling price. All the places and people asking high prices are just sitting on their vehicles. Go look at the classifieds section here. Everyone’s cars who are asking close to their msrp are sitting for 2+ months.

Check how long the dealer has had that car listed for sale. If it’s multiple months, they have been paying interest and floor plan costs on it. Make a lowball offer and settle right in the middle if you truly want the car. Don’t be afraid to do this. Guarantee you they paid somewhere between 28-31.5k for that car. They aren’t afraid to low ball and neither should you. It’s business, don’t worry about hurting their feelings. Dealers are hoping people remain used to overpaying for used cars when that is NOT what they have been doing at auctions and on trade in the last 6 months. The market has turned and these cars are losing value everyday. Private sellers are hoping to get their original msrp’s but that ain’t happening anymore. If they overpaid for their cars they are hoping someone will overpay for theirs. With interest rates as high as they are all these cars (not just Camaro’s) have been sitting.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 02-13-2024, 01:16 PM   #5
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Prices are all over and the market is certainly changing. I agree with offering a lot lower, BUT....you also have to decide what the car is worth to YOU. I just bought a fully loaded '16 2SS with 25k miles and asking price was about the same. I like the 16-18 and had been looking for this spec. I offered low, but knew I was gonna buy the car regardless. Just don't tell the dealer that!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 02:37 PM   #6
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
If it is what you want, then suck it up and buy it. It's not like they are making any more...

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:10 PM   #7
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
A lot of sellers think we are still in the pandemic used car market where you could sell your 5+ year old car for MSRP or more. No sane person is paying those prices anymore for a car produced in the 10s of thousands and not that rare. And prices are only going to come down more. I wouldn't pay a penny more than $30K for that car.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:28 PM   #8
V8egoV4capabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
A lot of sellers think we are still in the pandemic used car market where you could sell your 5+ year old car for MSRP or more. No sane person is paying those prices anymore for a car produced in the 10s of thousands and not that rare. And prices are only going to come down more. I wouldn't pay a penny more than $30K for that car.
It definitely doesnt feel good considering the car is 6 years old and only a few thousand from the MSRP. Even with the discontinued news you still think they are going to drop in value? I definitely am trying to get one while I can but don't want to FOMO myself into a bad deal.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:06 AM   #9
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
It definitely doesnt feel good considering the car is 6 years old and only a few thousand from the MSRP. Even with the discontinued news you still think they are going to drop in value? I definitely am trying to get one while I can but don't want to FOMO myself into a bad deal.
As much as I mean suck, I think you could suck it up and get something newer. There was a 2022 1SS 1LE for sale locally to me and they were only a couple thousand under original MSRP, but that seemed pretty reasonable. Six years old is a long time to hold that value.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 07:27 AM   #10
m6-lt1

Quote:
Cars don’t immediately rise in value after being discontinued. There are some exceptions to this rule (STI, EVO), but typically that happens later after the car has been gone awhile. I think the 6th Gen Camaro is going to drop like a rock. Remember there’s a reason not many people were buying these cars.

I believe in roughly 10 years you’ll see the values go back up when auto enthusiasts are looking to buy older but cheaper great drivers cars. The last time the Camaro got discontinued you couldn’t give them away and just like now they were better drivers cars than the competition.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
Old 02-14-2024, 10:44 AM   #11
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
We have no way of knowing what "$36,500" really means. Is that a list price? Negotiated price guaranteed to you if you buy it? Does it include tax? Where are you buying it from (dealer/private party), and are you trading something as part of the deal?

Ballpark, high level....If that's the selling price before tax and everything else, it feels a little high. I agree with others that maybe lower 30's is about right. Maybe that's a good place to negotiate if there are comparable cars for sale in the area.

At the end of the day, it's a low-mile car for its age, and we're talking a couple thousand dollar difference between $36,5 and a more average price. Don't get me wrong, every dollar counts, but in the grand scheme, if it's the car you want in the right color, configuration, etc...

I don't think you can get any more reliable than an LT1 engine with manual transmission in a lower-option car. Condition is everything. If the car has been left to rot for 6 years, I might look elsewhere. If it's been cared for and serviced even though it only has 4k miles, it might be a great find.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote