#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 03-03-2024, 08:32 AM   #1751
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
If he could have he would have but he did not. Period. Didn’t even try. Why? Because the Executive Branch of the US Government does not have that power. Period. I learned that in junior high school and that's an honest statement.
By that token, he doesn't have the power to get agencies like USCBP to violate their charter mission and act as a concierge service instead. But, appoint a stooge to lead it, with no willing courts or law enforcement mechanism to check it, and here we are! Policy by executive fiat. We're getting way off course, but don't tell me it doesn't happen, when happens right in front of us.

He doesn't have the power to forgive student loans, either. Do you think that will stop him (THEM) before November? Why does he keep promising to do it? More patronizing lies to the youth?
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:46 AM   #1752
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
We charged at a Tesla station on our Thanksgiving travels this year with our BMW. The charger provided the CCS-NACS adapter. BMW will be moving to NACS in 2025, if I recall. The Tesla station was easy to use. My only gripe is the ridiculously short cord that works well for Teslas, but no other vehicle, something I am guessing will change when more vehicles start using Tesla's charger network. The iX charge port is where you'd expect a fuel door on the right quarter. The car charged just below its max rate of 195kw, in 28 degree weather.

I think moving to NACS is the right way to go. I don't hold an EE degree, but as I understand the charger is cheaper and more efficient and requires fewer large transformers than CCS chargers. It's an interesting story how Tesla came to open up its Tesla charging network.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:26 AM   #1753
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
We charged at a Tesla station on our Thanksgiving travels this year with our BMW. The charger provided the CCS-NACS adapter. BMW will be moving to NACS in 2025, if I recall. The Tesla station was easy to use. My only gripe is the ridiculously short cord that works well for Teslas, but no other vehicle, something I am guessing will change when more vehicles start using Tesla's charger network. The iX charge port is where you'd expect a fuel door on the right quarter. The car charged just below its max rate of 195kw, in 28 degree weather.

I think moving to NACS is the right way to go. I don't hold an EE degree, but as I understand the charger is cheaper and more efficient and requires fewer large transformers than CCS chargers. It's an interesting story how Tesla came to open up its Tesla charging network.
It’s going to be interesting to see how it rolls out. What I find very interesting is the reason Tesla calls it the North American Charging Standard is that everywhere else in the world Tesla uses CCS. And their stations are every bit as reliable and in some case operate at faster speeds. 350kW has been available with CCS for several years and faster chargers are in development.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:30 AM   #1754
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Here’s an interesting interview with John Voelcker. John is by far my favorite automotive journalist on all things EV. It details the exact problems GM has had getting EVs out the door. https://youtu.be/sAPzCjIi84A?si=J4OteGug5VHL6svc

TLDW - They picked the wrong partner for installing the automation that assembles the battery modules into the battery packs. Seems as though they have the issue solved and are in the process of solving software issues that stalled the Blazer EV launch. 2024 should be an interesting make it or break it year for GM’s EV strategy.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-03-2024, 09:41 AM   #1755
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
By that token, he doesn't have the power to get agencies like USCBP to violate their charter mission and act as a concierge service instead. But, appoint a stooge to lead it, with no willing courts or law enforcement mechanism to check it, and here we are! Policy by executive fiat. We're getting way off course, but don't tell me it doesn't happen, when happens right in front of us.

He doesn't have the power to forgive student loans, either. Do you think that will stop him (THEM) before November? Why does he keep promising to do it? More patronizing lies to the youth?
I have no clue what you are saying here and it seems to have nothing to do with the original topic, so I’ll just pass on this one. I’m going to try REALLY HARD to keep this thread on topic. I’m going to avoid responding to any of the political / conspiracy theory / “what about” stuff that has totally derailed this thread. I will devote my posting time on this thread to providing news and insider information on electric vehicles. Period.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:17 AM   #1756
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I watched the podcast and found the story of the assembly challenges was interesting.

What hit me was John Voelcker's outlook on how GM is poised to capture a few percentage of EV market share. The EV Blazer and Equinox are "fresh product" at a time when the midsize-punching-larger SUV market is somewhat stagnant. If they sell a total of 300k midsize Ultiums including the Honda, that will be significant.

I was also not aware that Cadillac sells better in China than in the US, and has for ~the last 10 years. I knew Buick did, but was not aware that Cadillac did as well.

I'm not at all mad that GM is abandoning Carplay/Android Auto, either. Having used the new integrated Google infotainment systems, I know they are excellent.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #1757
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
I'm not at all mad that GM is abandoning Carplay/Android Auto, either. Having used the new integrated Google infotainment systems, I know they are excellent.
I'm not mad over it either on principle.

I have always viewed Carplay and Android Auto as an excuse for the OEM's to don't bother designing a proper functioning UI for their car's systems. I don't miss Carplay in my Model 3.

Where I have issue with GM removing carplay/android auto is they are doing it to further extract money from their customers. Can't use the cars built in nav without forking over more money every month.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:23 AM   #1758
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I'm not mad over it either on principle.

I have always viewed Carplay and Android Auto as an excuse for the OEM's to don't bother designing a proper functioning UI for their car's systems. I don't miss Carplay in my Model 3.

Where I have issue with GM removing carplay/android auto is they are doing it to further extract money from their customers. Can't use the cars built in nav without forking over more money every month.
I have sources that give me two reasons for GM dropping CarPlay and Android Auto. The first reason is one I have yet to corroborate but have reason to believe, so take this with a grain of salt. The thinking is that Apple is looking to imbed into the vehicle OBD system and collect vehicle dynamic data. GM is dead set against that and intends to develop the software for vehicle operating systems themselves in order to avoid letting the data get into others’ hands.

The second reason I wholeheartedly agree with. Vehicle lifecycle revenue through upgrades. GM has said many many times that the future business model fo the industry is in over the air upgrades.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:23 PM   #1759
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
I have sources that give me two reasons for GM dropping CarPlay and Android Auto. The first reason is one I have yet to corroborate but have reason to believe, so take this with a grain of salt. The thinking is that Apple is looking to imbed into the vehicle OBD system and collect vehicle dynamic data. GM is dead set against that and intends to develop the software for vehicle operating systems themselves in order to avoid letting the data get into others’ hands.

The second reason I wholeheartedly agree with. Vehicle lifecycle revenue through upgrades. GM has said many many times that the future business model fo the industry is in over the air upgrades.
What would Apple do with the OBD data?

I don't mind subscriptions that enhance the experience, but don't absolutely cripple the use of the car. Like I do pay for Tesla's connectivity plan. It's nice to have and I view it as worth it. But if I need to cut back and cancel it, I don't lose functionality. The Tesla equivalent to what GM is doing would be if you don't pay for the connectivity plan is you lose the ability to navigate to superchargers, have the car automatically do it as part of its routing logic, tell you how many are available, and pre-condition the battery for supercharging.

Now all GM is doing by removing Carplay/Android Auto and the pay to use the nav system is making people continue to use their phones to navigate, but now do it in riskier manner while driving.

It's going to bomb much like BMW trying to charge people every month to use their heated seats.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #1760
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
What would Apple do with the OBD data?

I don't mind subscriptions that enhance the experience, but don't absolutely cripple the use of the car. Like I do pay for Tesla's connectivity plan. It's nice to have and I view it as worth it. But if I need to cut back and cancel it, I don't lose functionality. The Tesla equivalent to what GM is doing would be if you don't pay for the connectivity plan is you lose the ability to navigate to superchargers, have the car automatically do it as part of its routing logic, tell you how many are available, and pre-condition the battery for supercharging.

Now all GM is doing by removing Carplay/Android Auto and the pay to use the nav system is making people continue to use their phones to navigate, but now do it in riskier manner while driving.

It's going to bomb much like BMW trying to charge people every month to use their heated seats.
There are a number of things Apple could do with the OBD data. They intend to offer reconfigurable dashboards for the vehicles that use a next generation of CarPlay. They would need the OBD data to control it. They would also have detail on how people use certain aspects of the vehicle and could then develop for pay apps based on what they learn. And let’s not forget, until last week they were developing their own vehicles. If you ‘re a car manufacturer it would be totally awesome to have large data models of your competitors vehicle systems.

We have a Tesla Model Y. It’s mind boggling how many accessories for Tesla are plug and play into the OBD ports. The Tesla is primarily my wife’s daily as well as the family grocery getter. Two things both of us disliked about the car is that there is nothing in front of the driver. No instrument panel, no status display. Nothing. Also, Tesla has never supported CarPlay / Android Auto. But, for about $250 I was able to buy an instrument panel that sits in front of the driver and pulls all the car data from the OBD port. It connects to our cell phones via Bluetooth and provides CarPlay and Android Auto. Two birds, one big stone. Took about 30 minutes to install. There are tons of similar accessories that plug into either of the two OBD ports that are easily accessible.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2024, 04:38 PM   #1761
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I bought one of those OBD plug ins to address the lack of HUD or in front of you display. I returned it unopened after I found out tesla is voiding warranty if you have OBD plug in mods. Like always with dealer service and Mods voiding warranty YMMV but there are few service places and that's the guidance they have now. Just FYI to hide that if you need to take it in under warranty or for others consider that before buying one.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:55 PM   #1762
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
I have no clue what you are saying here and it seems to have nothing to do with the original topic,
You were citing how the chief executive has limited powers based on what you learned in basic HS civics. I pointed out we're well past the constitutional limits we learned about, and there are plenty of examples of over reaching executive orders and other encroachments. So, when someone is president and they say they intend to get rid of all fossil fuels, it is worth taking seriously.

Funny how you can't have an EV thread without politics... could it be because of the all the government regulation, subsidies, and engagement at every level of this push for "zero carbon"?
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:36 PM   #1763
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Li Auto Mega.
CATL Qilin 102 kWh battery charges 10-80% in 10 minutes 36 s and with a charging peak power 521 kW
Attached Images

Last edited by chevy pilot; 03-04-2024 at 05:56 AM.
chevy pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:44 PM   #1764
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
You were citing how the chief executive has limited powers based on what you learned in basic HS civics. I pointed out we're well past the constitutional limits we learned about, and there are plenty of examples of over reaching executive orders and other encroachments. So, when someone is president and they say they intend to get rid of all fossil fuels, it is worth taking seriously.

Funny how you can't have an EV thread without politics... could it be because of the all the government regulation, subsidies, and engagement at every level of this push for "zero carbon"?
OK. Got it. I’m gonna just let it lie there. From this point on I’m focusing on staying on topic in this thread. I’m done with the conspiracy theory / Davos / WEF / politics distractions. Just talking EV from this point.