Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Issue with ceramic coating

I had my car coated with ceramic pro 9h coating.
4 coats, with one coat of light.

The issue is that it appears there is some etching on the paint where it was dirty (see image).

Has anyone had this issue and what was done about it?

these are the instructions I was given:

Recommended Care and Maintenance
CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Ceramic Pro amongst other things is designed to protect your factory clear coat. It is tremendously effective at doing so. However, it is not bulletproof and will require basic maintenance. With simple care your coating will reward you for many, many, many years to come. THINGS YOU MUST AVOID DURING THE CURING PROCESS (from 2 to 3 weeks): - Curing time is 2-3 weeks depending on environmental conditions such as humidity and temperature. - Sprinklers. The coating will protect your clear coat from water spots. The coating is less likely to etch than your factory clear but it can get spots during the curing process and can be costly to remove. - Parking under a shedding tree - Allowing bird droppings, sap, pollen to sit on the car and bake in the sun - Washing or abrading the paint If you notice that your car gets water spots, bird droppings, tree sap etc. during these two weeks immediately remove it following our care instructions. Keep in mind the coating is softer so work on the paint very gently.

I have read the care instructions and I fully understand that for the 1st 2 weeks I need to take extra care to ensure the coating can cure properly. If I do get damage in the 1st 2 weeks I will either take my vehicle to my installer to fix or I will remove it carefully using the care instructions on the following page. *
• (X) I Agree

WASHING YOUR CAR
WASHING YOUR CAR AT HOME Ceramic Pro is extremely slick meaning most things will dissolve and be pulled off by Ceramic Pro’s self cleaning effect. Minimizing rubbing (especially with a dry towel) on the coating will ensure the best looks and longevity. Dry Bird droppings, bugs and tree sap can be dissolved using alcohol type solvents that would harm traditional sealants and then wiped off with a damp microfiber. WASHING 1. For best results wash with recommended soaps: No Rinse / Waterless Wash or any PH neutral (mild) general purpose cleaner on a bi-weekly basis to avoid excessive contamination build up. 2. Avoid washing in direct sunlight to minimize streaking and water spotting. 3. Wash from the top down leaving the dirtiest sections for last to avoid cross contamination. 4. Use separate soap and sponge/mitt/towel for wheels to prevent cross contamination. DRYING 1. Always dry completely and never leave to “air” dry. Tap water contains minerals that may leave deposits creating water spots. 2. Only use quality microfiber towels for best results and avoid aggressive wiping, allowing the material to absorb the water. SPOT REMOVAL 1. Never use aggressive products to polish the coating or remove surface contamination. 2. Never use excessive force to remove spots. 3. Bird droppings, tar, sap, etc. should be removed as soon as possible to avoid temporary staining or hardening on the coating. If necessary, use of a strong cleaner such as goo gone/goof off is recommended to limit abrasion. Any staining left behind from the bird droppings will break down over a few days without affecting the coating. AFTER WASHING Do not wax the coating. It is unnecessary and the wax will not bond to the coating. Instead we advise you to use Ceramic Pro Sport our maintenance product. AUTOMATED WASHING Always go to a touch free wash! Using an automated car wash with brushes/clothes will void the warranty and dull the coating. Ceramic Pro 9H takes up to 2 weeks to achieve full hardness. Please handle with care and do not wash the vehicle for the first 2 weeks.
Attached Images

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
An orbital, med pad and this. Lotsa work:

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-essence-plus.html
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
I have some very tiny etched circles on the roof of my car that are similar. They are very hard to see. I didn't notice them until a few months after I did the paint correction, or I would have tackled them at that time. I'm sure they were from the previous owner but not sure what caused them.

I'm wondering whether yours may have been there before the ceramic coating and you didn't notice them until the dirt and grime filled the circles. I don't think it has anything to do with the ceramic coating or curing time.

As Glen said "lotsa work". Meguiars products are readily available locally - Clay, M105, M205, IPA, reapply ceramic coating.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)

Last edited by wrankin; 09-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
I have some very tiny etched circles on the roof of my car that are similar. They are very hard to see. I didn't notice them until a few months after I did the paint correction, or I would have tackled them at that time. I'm sure they were from the previous owner but not sure what caused them.

I'm wondering whether yours may have been there before the ceramic coating and you didn't notice them until the dirt and grime filled the circles. I don't think it has anything to do with the ceramic coating or curing time.

As Glen said "lotsa work". Meguiars products are readily available locally - Clay, M105, M205, IPA, reapply ceramic coating.

Bill
im 100% certain they are in the coating not the paint. My uncle owns a body shop which was passed down from my grandfather, and Ive done my fair share of bodywork. i can see these things, even when others cannot; even though i only had the car one day before being delivered to the detailer im certain the marks were not there; and even if they were somehow there and i did not notice it, i paid them to polish the car twice before application; and it only had about 30 miles on it.

Ive read up on the coating, and the coating is supposed to cure in 1-2 days, then gradually harden over the next 2-3 weeks based on environment conditions. it was most likely nearly cured when I picked up the car 10 days ago. i was specifically told not to wash it and only remove bug juice / bird droppings. I did leave the car outside which im sure is not optimal - but i told them i was going to leave it outside and was not warned about it. I read the care sheet and there is nothing about it there as well. im taking the car in and they are going to wash it tomorrow to see what the damage is, even though it technically was not supposed to be washed until this coming friday. i cleaned 3-4 quarter sized spots on it last night after i noticed the marks - and they are all over it, its going to be bad.

This has completely ruined my honeymoon with this car; now I see a car with f'ed up paint whenever I look at it.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 09-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The link I put up is polish used for coatings and it won't take the coating off… Read the link .....it's exactly for contaminated coatings.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Definitely listen to Glen, Essence Plus is exactly designed for correcting coatings.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Should I have been able to park it outside?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 09-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
I stand corrected! I didn't even know a product like Essence Plus existed

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
shawndean22

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Just a question for Essence Plus, can i used this on top of Opticoat pro plus to fill in minor swirls? Opticoat is SiC based coating not si02?
shawndean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Apparently what happened with it was that condensation from the 3rd night I had it caused the etching.

im not sure what they did with it, but they put something on it that took out most of them with exception of the very worst few spots.

they said that i need to keep it dry and clean for 2 more weeks, then bring it in and they will look at it again; so looks like I need to make room in the garage.

I am really really glad they are not sticking it to me on this.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock