Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Water Spots

Went out to lunch and found that a rogue sprinkler from the park next door to my office had sprayed my car, and the 102-degree heat had baked the spots to my paint. Gonna have to wait a couple hours before I can go home and deal with this. Once before I tried a 50-50 mixture of water and vinegar and it worked, so I think I'll do the same again. My fear is that our scorching sun and hard water could've left mineral deposits that--if left too long--will etch the paint.
Attached Images

GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The vinegar will do it. Also if you're worried about minerals, put a little bit of CLR on a rag and see if that gets it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The vinegar will do it. Also if you're worried about minerals, put a little bit of CLR on a rag and see if that gets it.
Thanks, Glen. Had no idea CLR was safe on auto paint!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Thanks, Glen. Had no idea CLR was safe on auto paint!
If those 2 options do not work, ive always had good success with CarPro Spotless.

Made a video about it below also if you are interested

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2ef1107e01fc7c

timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
GM Lifer

Went home yesterday, parked the car in the shade and sprayed it down with a vinegar/water mixture. Rinsed it off, then washed it with my regular car shampoo. While it was still wet, I sprayed it down with the vinegar solution again, then rinsed and dried. Spots were still visible. Used my Porter-Cable buffer with a medium-density pad and some scratch/swirl remover and did the whole car. It's shiny as all get-out, but I can still see "ghost spots"--nothing in the middle, but a faint rim outlining the water droplet. Since you have to look really carefully to see these spots, I'm calling it quits for now. Hoping that future washings and waxings will gradually wear these things off.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Glen e

Quote:
Went home yesterday, parked the car in the shade and sprayed it down with a vinegar/water mixture. Rinsed it off, then washed it with my regular car shampoo. While it was still wet, I sprayed it down with the vinegar solution again, then rinsed and dried. Spots were still visible. Used my Porter-Cable buffer with a medium-density pad and some scratch/swirl remover and did the whole car. It's shiny as all get-out, but I can still see "ghost spots"--nothing in the middle, but a faint rim outlining the water droplet. Since you have to look really carefully to see these spots, I'm calling it quits for now. Hoping that future washings and waxings will gradually wear these things off.
You were almost there...another polish job should get it. I had same on my 13ss, it took 3 polish sessions. I could have gone to a more aggressive polish but I'd rather polish more, than get aggressive. The is also correction, not detailing, so change pads often.

If you are in an area where this may happen again, an sio2 coating is your best defense, or a cover.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
You were almost there...another polish job should get it. I had same on my 13ss, it took 3 polish sessions. I could have gone to a more aggressive polish but I'd rather polish more, than get aggressive.
The paint on these cars is super hard. And you also have all the body line curves and ridges. Not an easy car to polish, especially with any dual action polisher except the Flex 3401 VRG.

Options are:
More passes with same pad/polish
More aggressive polish
More aggressive pad
More aggressive machine.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
GM Lifer

Quote:
You were almost there...another polish job should get it. I had same on my 13ss, it took 3 polish sessions. I could have gone to a more aggressive polish but I'd rather polish more, than get aggressive. The is also correction, not detailing, so change pads often.

If you are in an area where this may happen again, an sio2 coating is your best defense, or a cover.
I'm thinking along the same lines--that another polish or two will do the trick. Frankly, though, I just don't have the time (or energy) to go over the whole car multiple times in one session. Wife, kids, job, lawn, yada yada. It'll just have to wait.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Glen e

Good, I just reread this and saw you used scratch/swirl remover, that's fairly light stuff, I'm sure meguire's ultimate compound from the auto parts store will get it, its great all purpose stuff.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #10
GM Lifer

Quote:
Good, I just reread this and saw you used scratch/swirl remover, that's fairly light stuff, I'm sure meguire's ultimate compound from the auto parts store will get it, its great all purpose stuff.
LOVE Meguiar's Ultimate Compound! Always have some on hand. But I'm like you--didn't use the "nuclear option" because I like to err on the side of being as unaggressive as possible.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
Glen e

Quote:
LOVE Meguiar's Ultimate Compound! Always have some on hand. But I'm like you--didn't use the "nuclear option" because I like to err on the side of being as unaggressive as possible.
Also, turn up your speed a bit for correcting....like 75% of the speed range.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Ultimate Compound has a cut level of 8/10. It's pretty aggressive compound. I would stay south of compounds and go with a polish with cut level of 6. A good All In One polish would probably fix him up. I like Wolfgang Uber All In One and Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream.

Check out Autopia's Polish Comparison Chart Updated 02/2017
to see the cut level of all the major polishes.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Ultimate Compound has a cut level of 8/10. It's pretty aggressive compound. I would stay south of compounds and go with a polish with cut level of 6. A good All In One polish would probably fix him up. I like Wolfgang Uber All In One and Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream.

Check out Autopia's Polish Comparison Chart Updated 02/2017
to see the cut level of all the major polishes.
I disagree...you do what you want but have been using it on new cars for years...never too much. It talks about water spots here:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
GM Lifer

Quote:
Also, turn up your speed a bit for correcting....like 75% of the speed range.
Did precisely that when I detailed my son's 2011 Volkswagen GTI last weekend. He'd been away for his freshman year in college and came back with the car all spotted and scratched. Went over the whole thing with Ultimate Compound, with the buffer turned up a notch. Turned out really nice. Got rid of most of the defects.