Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
Stored all winter, wheels on, cold detached garage though the car did have a cover on it- I put a tarp down on the concrete then parked on broken down boxes and a carpet square on each wheel I had sitting in the garage. $0.00 cost and no issues.
The main idea is just getting a little cushion with whatever you have to avoid flat spots and insulate from the worst of the cold
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
I live in Northern WI. I will be leaving my tires on the car in the garage over this winter. I am not concerned but, I will certainly give a report in the spring. I suspect that Goodyear does not heat all of its warehouses and I know that local dealers have tires in unheated warehouses. Certainly the rubber compound will be less compliant when cold and I would not drive a car with these tires on when the temperature dropped. Common sense dictates that the tires will survive the cold temperatures but, like I stated earlier. I will let you know in the spring.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
We had the worst winter here in Michigan in years..

1LE parked in unheated garage, tires mounted, sat on concrete from November until May. Only thing I did was 40 psi on all 4 corners.

No issues, no cracks..flat spots etc.

To each his own.
I'll have to go with Banshee on this. Live in Indiana, had an extremely bad winter. Temps hit -40. I keep her in an attached garage with no heat and she sits on the concrete. There was no cracking or flat spots. Just do what will make you comfortable, it's your investment.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
this will be my second winter with 2 1LE's living in Canada both sets of rims and tires will becoming off soon due to cool morning temps and feeling like ice skates. I store the rims and tires in the heated garage. I put all season on a different set of rims on mine for the cusp months where its still nice enough to drive. Fiance puts winters on his
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #20
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I also want to add...I did not move the car until Temps were well into the 60s. Backed car up, let the tires warm naturally in the sun...took tire pressure down incrementally as needed while in driveway. When they hit 43, lowered the two in the sun to 40. When the other 2 increased, took them down to 40 psi. After 7 hours in the sun...drove for half hour at 40 to 50 mph...whenever the pressures increased..took them back down gradually at - 2 to 3 psi to my normal summer cold psi of 32.

I am no chemist or genius...but common sense dictates (absent EXTREME -30 degree temps) to gradually decrease psi after storage. Filling to 40 to 42 psi while temps in the 40 or 50 degree range and storing is ok. Its the temperament of the rubber out of storage. Allow tires to warm without driving..decrease pressures as needed..

My garage is detatched..no heat, concrete floor. I do circulate air and insure humidity inside is below 50%. 2 winters...at least 6 weeks below 10 degrees..no worries. There was I believe 18 to 20 days sub 0 temps with the worst being -18. Worried? No...concerned? A little.

Not calling out other Goodyear sporting vehicle owners...some don't understand that you just cant store temperamental tires without doing research..then bitching when they're under inflated 20 psi tires that were not monitored over winter cracked to shit. temperament, monitoring your investment and educating ones self about that $80K Corvette with G2 tires? If you are going to dump the cash...do your homework.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Last edited by Banshee; 09-17-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
And as another side note...DO NOT MOVE these tires below 30 degrees..as long as you have 40 psi cold over winter...stagnant..you are FINE! You move this tire anywhere while temps sub 20 degrees...under inflated...duh..not recommended moving over inflated either..but sub 0? What do you expect?
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #22
eldub

Drives: 2014 BLK/BLK/BLK 2SS 1LE
are these tires really that sensitive???? I've got 4000km on my car and work out of town up to 6 weeks at a time, I'll be pissed if I have to buy tires in the spring!!
eldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #23
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I had 2 tires crack while parked. I'm in VA and it was a cold winter. Maybe 20 degrees
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
Hoosier1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I parked mine in an insulated garage for over 4 months last winter. Aired tires up to 38 psi. This was our coldest winter in decades. I put a small space heater in the garage set at 40 degrees. No problems at all. pulled it out in April. I'm up to 13,500 on them now.
Hoosier1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #25
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldub View Post
are these tires really that sensitive???? I've got 4000km on my car and work out of town up to 6 weeks at a time, I'll be pissed if I have to buy tires in the spring!!
Yes, they are. That's the price of having an almost-R-compound tire.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #26
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Soooooo, basically its still anyone's guess whether they will crack in the cold or not.......
Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
littlebuffalo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
My car sat outside all last winter covered and I didn't have any issues. We'll see how it goes this winter with the new set of goodyears, I'm not scared though.
littlebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #28
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
Soooooo, basically its still anyone's guess whether they will crack in the cold or not.......
I like a sure thing, I know everyone as their opinions, but I want to be sure. 19's are going on, GoodYears going in the basement. For $450, it wasnt worth the risk of maybe or maybe not
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote