Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
luv my 2012 conv

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary vert
Fog lamp replacemet options

I am looking to change / upgrade the foglamps on my 2SS vert to lights that are a bit Brighter. Any simple bulb replacemet options out there ? I'd like to match the color more closely to the stock HIDs. Suggestions ?
luv my 2012 conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
First thing you should know is that with the RS package, these are "DRLs" Not fog lights. I point this out not to be a dick, but because they're different part numbers and the autoparts stores all have them wrong.

Honestly, this is such a pain. The ugly stock replacements are $30. The LED/Plasma ones that match are anywhere from $30-$100 dollars, and they're all such cheap ass quality that they will probably fall apart INSIDE the housing. I'm so frustrated with the DRLs its unreal. I'll probably just switch back to stock until a big name like Sylvania makes stock replacements that are a good color.

Edit: Oh, and I wouldn't order from AAC either. They promise a lifetime warranty, but want you to send back the damaged unit so they can make a determination as to whether or not it was defective (which leaves your housing unsealed from moisture and everything else). If it's defective, they'll send you a new set back (I was told 4-6 weeks). If they determine it was somehow your fault, you're out the shipping and the defective lamps AND you have to buy something to seal them back up before they get too cruddy from moisture and roadgrime. Mine fell apart inside the housing after about a year. I could totally see how that could be my fault... :\

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Would these work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-equivale...ht_4904wt_1086
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
Yes. Again, keep in mind these are all cheap ass knockoff lights made in China. Don't be surprised if this happens to you...(Both are mine. First from AAC. Second from Amazon.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
Yes. Again, keep in mind these are all cheap ass knockoff lights made in China. Don't be surprised if this happens to you...(Both are mine. First from AAC. Second from Amazon.

Damn, that sucks! How can you know where/from who to buy ones that will hold up?
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

You don't. I'm a little bitter, but I think they're all garbage.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Cincy10SSRS

That's amazingly bad. I'm NOT suggesting you did anything wrong, but do you drive in areas (super shitty roads, etc) that jar the car alot more than "normal"?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
That's amazingly bad. I'm NOT suggesting you did anything wrong, but do you drive in areas (super shitty roads, etc) that jar the car alot more than "normal"?
Nope. Smooth roads, mostly highway. The first one fell on it's own after about 10 months (I'm not the first person on this forum with this same problem with AAC's P13Ws). The second one didn't work when I put it in, and when I went to pull it out, it separated.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
The best way to match your stock HIDs is to use a HID

Check out these 24W P13W Xenon Conversions http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210845
The sales thread that is linked there is no longer available.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
May want to consider these from Lite-Bright a Camaro5 sponsor with a good rep
... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255978
Thanks for the tip. I may look into those. I actually bought a can of plasti-dip to just cover the DRLs so I don't have to look at them anymore.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
May want to consider these from Lite-Bright a Camaro5 sponsor with a good rep
... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255978
Those look like the Cree bulbs. They're not made very well either. I ordered a set of them and they arrived broken. On one, the black base had completely separated from the tip and the other was on at an angle. It looked like whatever glue or epoxy they used to join the two halves never cured. The seller replaced the bulbs and the replacements were assembled with the same glue. It didn't take any effort to separate the to halves of the replacement Cree bulbs. So I separated them, wiped off whatever was supposed to bond them together and used a two part epoxy to rejoin the two halves. I wasn't comfortable putting them on my car and have them come apart inside the housing.

For what they cost, I'd expect better quality.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Those look like the Cree bulbs. They're not made very well either. I ordered a set of them and they arrived broken. On one, the black base had completely separated from the tip and the other was on at an angle. It looked like whatever glue or epoxy they used to join the two halves never cured. The seller replaced the bulbs and the replacements were assembled with the same glue. It didn't take any effort to separate the to halves of the replacement Cree bulbs. So I separated them, wiped off whatever was supposed to bond them together and used a two part epoxy to rejoin the two halves. I wasn't comfortable putting them on my car and have them come apart inside the housing.

Plastidip it is then.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post

Did you get them from Lite-Bright ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Did you get them from Lite-Bright ?
No. A seller on Amazon.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote