#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
motorcycle help

Do any of you have motorcycles?

I just received my endorsement a few months ago, but i'm really on the fence as to what size engine to buy(i'm looking at sports bikes, not cruisers). I do not have any experience working a clutch other than what I did in the basic rider course, so I was originally looking at a 250cc bike. The more I talk to people, they keep telling me to get a 600cc engine instead, and that ill regret the smaller engine. Does anyone have any input on this?

Also, which brand should I be looking at, as far as reliability and performance(honda, kawasaki, yamaha, suzuki, etc.)?

Thanks
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
If you're not going to start out on a Ninja 300 or something, IMO, the absolute best starter bike for anyone who is bent on getting a sport bike is the Suzuki SV650. It handles very well, has a lot of torque, sounds great, and I just don't think you'll get bored quickly with it. They're also very affordable and look great. I like the 1/4 fairing where you can see the engine, and the LED strip tail lights still look good after 10 years. They're a VTwin, so they don't rev as high, but OMG DAT TORQUE

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Jchuba03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
If you're not going to start out on a Ninja 300 or something, IMO, the absolute best starter bike for anyone who is bent on getting a sport bike is the Suzuki SV650. It handles very well, has a lot of torque, sounds great, and I just don't think you'll get bored quickly with it. They're also very affordable and look great. I like the 1/4 fairing where you can see the engine, and the LED strip tail lights still look good after 10 years.
I have nothing against starting on a 250 or 300, it was actually my plan to start on a 250 just to get the feel for it. But do you think it would be an appropriate jump to go straight to a 600 or 650?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Cameroman

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2ls
I got my bike like 3 months ago, its a cbr 250 and i love it. You can listen to what everyone has to say, but do what you feel like you want to do and what fits your situation. Btw a 600cc bike can get you into alot of trouble early with no experience. Think if the people who are telling you to start on a 600cc and see if they ride safely all the time.
Cameroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Get yourself a used 250cc bike. Find something cheap. You are more than likely going to drop it a few times and you don't want to be fixing a new bike all the time. It can get quite expensive. Once you are comfortable, you can sell the 250cc and get something newer and bigger. Good luck and be safe.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
ohiocrew

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Smile

I agree with learning on a 250. I started out 40 years ago on a 125. There was not a course back then. Yes the 125 got dropped a "few times". The smaller bike gets you accustomed to using the clutch and over all getting use to two wheels. But when all said and done, it is your decision. I own and ride a Victory Vision and a Honda VTX 1800 now. Good Luck with what ever you decide.
ohiocrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Promo714

Drives: 2014 SS2 1LE
Quote:
If you're not going to start out on a Ninja 300 or something, IMO, the absolute best starter bike for anyone who is bent on getting a sport bike is the Suzuki SV650. It handles very well, has a lot of torque, sounds great, and I just don't think you'll get bored quickly with it. They're also very affordable and look great. I like the 1/4 fairing where you can see the engine, and the LED strip tail lights still look good after 10 years. They're a VTwin, so they don't rev as high, but OMG DAT TORQUE
I agree with Devryn17. The SV650 is a great bike. I rode the 1000 version of the bike for several years and still regret selling it. V-twins are very different than their in-line counterparts on a cc for cc comparison. Whereas a 600 cc in-line sport bike might still be a handful for a beginner, a 650 v-twin like the SV will be very friendly.

Also, any first bike you buy will not be the only bike you buy--you will learn what you like and eventually upgrade. But, like he said, the SV is versatile enough that you could (if you wanted) keep it longer than most. I started about 18 years ago with a 750 cruiser, then bought an older touring bike, then bought the newer version of said touring bike, then bought the Suzuki TL1000 (SV's bigger brother) which I then starting taking to the track for track days. Eventually I sold that and got a 750 GSXR, then an Aprilia 1000 track bike, then a Ducati Monster, then a 1000 GSXR, then a... well, you get the picture. I love motorcycles!

Also, on taking the Rider Safety Course. You're doing it right. It made me a better (safer and more aware) driver in my car as well. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun.
Promo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchuba03 View Post
I have nothing against starting on a 250 or 300, it was actually my plan to start on a 250 just to get the feel for it. But do you think it would be an appropriate jump to go straight to a 600 or 650?
A 600 or 650 can be just as slow and reasonable as a 250 or 300, but it's also got enough power to get out of its own way too. Say you find yourself in a situation where your choice is to either brake or accelerate to avoid an obstacle,
You may need to brake so hard you endo or slide or;
You give it a little throttle and slide past the danger.

I'd rather have a little more power and learn to use it, than need it and not have it...

In the end, its about you. If you have some self restraint, then you should really start at a 600 or 650. The SV650 is a light bike and easy to handle. If it's weight you're worried about, an SV650 weights almost exactly the same as a Ninja 300.

I say get something with enough power to maneuver and get out of its own way, and enough power that you learn to respect it while you're learning to ride. Don't get a Rebel or Ninja 300 then upgrade to a 'busa. You're going to feel like you're a capable rider, and you're going to want to use that extra power, and you're going to learn much faster how incapable you are...All I'm saying is learn to respect it up front, and it won't burn ya.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Shouldn't this be in the "C5 Motorcycle Talk" subforum. Oh... wait. Never mind.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
I have rode every type of bike and if I can offer one piece of advice it would be don't listen to anyone's advise to you if they haven't crashed a bike before.

Get a used 250/300 and ride it for one season and see how you like it. Going fast is easy. Learn to go very slow. I was stupid and went 600 first to 1000's next. I was lucky I have strong "don't kill yourself genes".

250s are always in demand and you won't lose much if you buy and flip the next year.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr40oz View Post
I have rode every type of bike and if I can offer one piece of advice it would be don't listen to anyone's advise to you if they haven't crashed a bike before.

Get a used 250/300 and ride it for one season and see how you like it. Going fast is easy. Learn to go very slow. I was stupid and went 600 first to 1000's next. I was lucky I have strong "don't kill yourself genes".

250s are always in demand and you won't lose much if you buy and flip the next year.
A 600 can go just as slow as a 250. I have a very strong "don't kill yourself" gene too, which is why my SS has had the traction control off exactly twice in controlled circumstances.

I've seen people get Eliminator 125s, or Rebel 250s and then upgrade after a summer to find themselves with more power than they could handle. It's DEFINITELY an individual choice.

Whatever you decide, I have two pieces of advice:
1. Buy your first bike used. You'll lose less in resale that way, and if you do wreck it, you'll lose less from the insurance payout.
2. For gods sake, wear proper safety gear. Wear a good helmet. Wear at least jeans, boots, and long sleeves, and my personal recommendation, find a good pair of riding gloves with padded/hard backs/fingers/knuckles. Nothing will make you let go of the grips quicker than a truck flinging a rock that feels like it took off your finger.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Jchuba03

Quote:
A 600 can go just as slow as a 250. I have a very strong "don't kill yourself" gene too, which is why my SS has had the traction control off exactly twice in controlled circumstances.

I've seen people get Eliminator 125s, or Rebel 250s and then upgrade after a summer to find themselves with more power than they could handle. It's DEFINITELY an individual choice.

Whatever you decide, I have two pieces of advice:
1. Buy your first bike used. You'll lose less in resale that way, and if you do wreck it, you'll lose less from the insurance payout.
2. For gods sake, wear proper safety gear. Wear a good helmet. Wear at least jeans, boots, and long sleeves, and my personal recommendation, find a good pair of riding gloves with padded/hard backs/fingers/knuckles. Nothing will make you let go of the grips quicker than a truck flinging a rock that feels like it took off your finger.
I definitely am anal about safety., hence why I took the riders safety class. I wouldn't even think about riding without proper gear. Hell, for most of my life I was the guy who said I would never ride a motorcycle because they were 2-wheeled death machines. But, a curiosity came over me, and I took the basic rider class. I fell in love with how much fun it was to ride.

I will probably end up going with a ninja 250, as they can be had for < $2500, ride it for a summer, and go from there.

I just didnt want to make the same mistake I made with my camaro(I bought the v6 thinking it was enough, and about 2 months later I feel the crave for a v8).

Also, how much does it cost to insure a bike like this? Its tough to find a simple quote on the interwebs(im 24, my camaro cost $166 a month to give a comparison).
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchuba03 View Post
I definitely am anal about safety., hence why I took the riders safety class. I wouldn't even think about riding without proper gear. Hell, for most of my life I was the guy who said I would never ride a motorcycle because they were 2-wheeled death machines. But, a curiosity came over me, and I took the basic rider class. I fell in love with how much fun it was to ride.

I will probably end up going with a ninja 250, as they can be had for < $2500, ride it for a summer, and go from there.

I just didnt want to make the same mistake I made with my camaro(I bought the v6 thinking it was enough, and about 2 months later I feel the crave for a v8).

Also, how much does it cost to insure a bike like this? Its tough to find a simple quote on the interwebs(im 24, my camaro cost $166 a month to give a comparison).
A Ninja 250 is a good choice. It's got a nice upright position, and if you're just traveling in town, you should be O.K. I suspect you'll find the same thing will happen that happened with your Camaro though.
As for insurance, its cheap for anything under 1000 CCs. I think mine went up 12 bucks a month when I bought my SV650 in 2006. I don't have it anymore, but I can't imagine its gone up a whole lot.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Dr40oz

Drives: 2014 Rubicon X
Quote:

A super sport class 600 like a GSXR 600 or r6 even has nothing in common with a 250. I would hope you have some experience riding. Guys hear "ohhh it's just a 6, my girlfriend rides those" and get one not knowing it has an 80mph 1st gear. The power is almost the same up to 140 and it it's a very light bike, under 400lbs, so it gives a false sense of security.

I really wouldn't put a traction controlled Camaro in the same class as a motorcycle. With all due respect sir it kinda makes you sound like a sissy. A SS class bike is a under 10 second machine out if the dealership.

Cars are slow.
Dr40oz is offline   Reply With Quote