Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
HD Radio for 2SS

Is there an adaptor I can get to have HD Radio in my 2SS? I prefer something that is plug and play.
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
I have a buddy who uses a Zune for HD radio. Could be an option...like $40 bucks on eBay
Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
ron scubadiver

So far I have a bit of a workaround to listen to a local station that is digital only. I downloaded the station's app to my android phone. The phone is to old to work with Android Auto, but audio output from the headphone jack is great and I plugged into the radio's aux connector. This does require my data connection, but it will also work anywhere the phone works, not just in the local broadcast area. Time for a new phone?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
Is there an adaptor I can get to have HD Radio in my 2SS? I prefer something that is plug and play.
We could whip up a radio module with HD radio in it so you'd simply swap your factory unit out with this one and you'd be golden.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
ron scubadiver

I found out my wireless carrier gives free data for certain music streaming services, to I installed iheart radio. Not bad for my ancient Galaxy S3.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Sad to say but looks like HD Radio is done for, Internet radio streaming is the real replacement. The future is apps.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
ron scubadiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Sad to say but looks like HD Radio is done for, Internet radio streaming is the real replacement. The future is apps.
Not sad, I have the streaming thing working nicely. I saw an article that most music is now delivered by streaming.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
libertyforall

Lightbulb

Quote:
Not sad, I have the streaming thing working nicely. I saw an article that most music is now delivered by streaming.
Sad only for the ubiquity of it, and drastic changes that local radio stations will need to do. Also we could say that XM is done for too, at least as a satellite service, even XM has an app already which does not require hardware,, strangely HD Radio does not
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
ron scubadiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Sad only for the ubiquity of it, and drastic changes that local radio stations will need to do. Also we could say that XM is done for too, at least as a satellite service, even XM has an app already which does not require hardware,, strangely HD Radio does not
The programing on XM is decent. I might extend it if the offer a good price, but you are right to say they are in trouble.

There is a local classical station only available as digital radio or internet streaming. Most of the low power stations are going this route. Eventually AM and FM will be gone.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
libertyforall

Wink

Quote:
The programing on XM is decent. I might extend it if the offer a good price, but you are right to say they are in trouble.

There is a local classical station only available as digital radio or internet streaming. Most of the low power stations are going this route. Eventually AM and FM will be gone.
What advantage does the satellite shark fin antenna provide that an LTE or better cellular connection cannot provide for audio/data services? This is why I think apps are the future and car manufacturers will be happy to get rid of that little extra hardware. Bean counters want cost savings. lol

On the other hand, I think ATSC 3.0 broadcast video and data services have a future, due to the huge bandwidth of 4K/HDR video, they are doing on-demand which works in concert with cellular -- I expect to see this all over vehicles meant for back seat entertainment in the near future...