Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Batmaro

Drives: Black Camaro SS/RS
Batmaro just moved to Canada

Just moved to Niagara Falls area in Ontario and I was told to pass inspection, my DRLs had to be "always on". I notice that they turn off if I turn off the automatic headlight feature but I was told this was unacceptable. Is there an easy fix for this and is there anything else I need to modify to pass inspection to register Batmaro in Ontario?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Don't turn off the "always on" feature then?

Our lights (2010/2011) by default are either DRL only, Halos only AND DRL's, or Halos and headlights and no DRL's - if factory behavior on a 4-5 year old car is not acceptable then Ontario is an even bigger sh*thole then I already thought

Are you saying because you can snap the light switch to the left to turn off all lights temporarily (which then snaps back to automatic settings for next start up), makes your car fail a safety?

If thats all it is - go to another vendor to get a safety and dont tell them about the snap to the left off feature lol. If you just look at the dial you wouldn't even know you could turn off the lights.

Welcome to the great white north eh
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Batmans unite!

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Phastek sells a wiring harness. i have one that is not installed, PM me and i can see if i can find it on their website for you.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes you can cross wire the DRLs to work as fogs with the main headlights and always on and it has another effect from feedback to keep the halos on, I learned about it on diygen5 , I never tested to see if it let the DRLs turn off..... And usually that is what these harnesses do, is allow the drls to stay on with the headlights. just cross wired myself the Drls to the sidemarkers.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Batmaro

Drives: Black Camaro SS/RS
To clarify, in order to pass RIV inspection to import it into Canada, the DRLs have to be always on and cannot be turned off as long as the ignition was on. I just read in the manual (something I usually don't do) it states that Camaros originally sold in Canada behave this way. I called the dealer and they said it was a matter of reprogramming (for $255) and if that didn't work, they would re-wire it for somewhere around $125. I asked why not just re-wire for $125 and save some money. They didn't have an answer for that other than it would be a jerry rig.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses/DRL_light

Buy it. Do it.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phail View Post
Don't turn off the "always on" feature then?

Our lights (2010/2011) by default are either DRL only, Halos only AND DRL's, or Halos and headlights and no DRL's - if factory behavior on a 4-5 year old car is not acceptable then Ontario is an even bigger sh*thole then I already thought

Are you saying because you can snap the light switch to the left to turn off all lights temporarily (which then snaps back to automatic settings for next start up), makes your car fail a safety?

If thats all it is - go to another vendor to get a safety and dont tell them about the snap to the left off feature lol. If you just look at the dial you wouldn't even know you could turn off the lights.

Welcome to the great white north eh
You have to have a RIV inspection to import a vehicle to Canada.

The vehicle needs to conform to the safety rules for our country not just Ontario.

Believe it or not Canadian Tire Service Centers are the only authorized inspection stations.

BTW this is the Center of the Universe ask anyone from here

Now get back to your wheat field
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
welcome aboard...come for a visit sometime.

yes, the DRLs have to be on when the ignition is on and no other lights are illuminated. If headlights are on, they can be off.

Also, the canadian tire tech prob wont know what they are doing so as long as you leave the lights in auto, you should be fine
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Camaro View Post
welcome aboard...come for a visit sometime.

yes, the DRLs have to be on when the ignition is on and no other lights are illuminated. If headlights are on, they can be off.

Also, the canadian tire tech prob wont know what they are doing so as long as you leave the lights in auto, you should be fine
This makes perfect sense... leave it on auto. DRLs always on unless the headlights come on (DRLs go off). One or the other will be on so long as your switch is set to Auto.

I guess the question is, does RIV pass a car that requires the driver to "think" and have some input as to whether lights are on or not?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
To the OP my Camaro is a US market intended car that I bought scarcely used (90 miles on the clock) here in Canada. It has the DRL (fog lights) which it looks like yours does as well so I assume yours should be okay here too.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
I've been running this ever since I've bought the car without any issues. With the halo harness aswell. Also my car, canadian car, DOES NOW HAVE THE DRL ON WITH THE IGNITION. DRL is on with headlights, off with parking lights and off if the car has the parking brake engaged during the day.

I will have to go out and confirm but, im 90% sure this is the way mine operates before drl harness.

Auto ON (DAY) - DRLS ON
Auto ON(NIGHT) - DRLS OFF
Auto OFF (DAY) - DRLS ON
Auto OFF(NIGHT) - Never did this before
Parking (ON) - DRLS ON (When parking brake is released only)

And honestly I don't understand why they are hassling you about it. My lights are completely different than stock now and I've never heard anything about it. Hell I drive around with a blue grille light 80% of the time. With the amount of people who don't turn their headlights on when driving on the highway here, they should have higher priorities...

Canadian Tire also has probably some of the most useless mechanics on the planet, just hope you get a dumb one when you go and you'll be fine.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 AM   #13
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
It's illegal to have your DRL's on when headlights are required.
And the Off would still turn the DRLs off with that harness.

The man has enough to worry about.
He wanted them to be "always on".
Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Car built in Ontario

Stock car fails safety in Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
My bad, I was under the impression that he wanted them to be legal.
I lol'd
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote