Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
2nd Opinion On My Remaining Brake Pad Thickness

Just making a quick post to see what you guys think of my 2011 SS's brake pad thickness. Just hit 45,000 miles last week. I got the car used in 2013 and don't recall if it had new pads. I know it had shot tires at the time I picked it up, but the wheels came off a different car, thus totally different owner with different maintenance habits.

To me, it looks like the fronts may need to be swapped in a year or two, but the rears have a lot of padding left. Nobody has mentioned them during inspections. They squeal, as do most SS factory pads, and I have a set of quieter Hawk Performance ceramics ready for whenever these go.

Do they look good or would you swap them? In order: Passenger front, passenger rear, driver rear (wear indicator not shown), driver front (wear indicator not shown).
Attached Images

RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Until the wear indicator clip thingy touches (or just about touches) the rotor you might as well continue to use them.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Thorvette

Drives: 1996 Toyota Corolla
i know this was posted a while back but wanted to reply in case you haven't changed them already. From experience, at ~45,000 I replaced my brakes that looked just like yours. Do yourself a favor and take off the wheel and take a look at the INNER front pads, they wear much quicker than the outside. I realized that merely looking at the "wear indicator" from the outside is not enough. Camaros always squeal so not easy to know if you need new brakes based on the wear indicators making noise.

attaching a pic so you can make your own judgement. The 2 pics are from the passenger front side, and a new pad for compassion.
Attached Images

Thorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
You could probably get a couple more thousand miles out of them. If you plan on tracking the car then definitely change them.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMx087 View Post
i know this was posted a while back but wanted to reply in case you haven't changed them already. From experience, at ~45,000 I replaced my brakes that looked just like yours. Do yourself a favor and take off the wheel and take a look at the INNER front pads, they wear much quicker than the outside. I realized that merely looking at the "wear indicator" from the outside is not enough. Camaros always squeal so not easy to know if you need new brakes based on the wear indicators making noise.

attaching a pic so you can make your own judgement. The 2 pics are from the passenger front side, and a new pad for compassion.
AKIBONO For The Win! I love mine.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote