Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
cryssm

Drives: Car
Transmission Gear Noise (M6)

Anyone else notice how loud the gears in the transmission are? It seems I hear them sometimes more than the engine. Just wondering whether this is normal.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
Mine is a 2017 1LT and the gears are smooth and noise free.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I do not hear anything from my tranny.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
MarioKartSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, M6, NPP
I don't hear anything either.
MarioKartSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
cryssm

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I'll add this to the list of issues to bring up at the dealer when I have time to go. I can hear the gears "winding up" as I increase RPM/speed, and the pitch change each time I shift. The transmission shifts smoothly; I have no issues there, just noisy.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Are you sure it's in the transmission? The rear end has been knowing to howl the fix is a fluid change from the dealer.

Mine shifts smooth and sounds fine only whining is my girlfriend saying the car hurts her neck lol
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
cryssm

Haha, yeah it's definitely coming from the transmission. I have the rear diff howl issue, also; but, I can hear the transmission gear whine at all speeds, and in all gears (just different pitches depending on RPM). If I shift into neutral or press in the clutch, the noise disappears. I wouldn't say it's unbearably loud, just noticeably loud.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
2016SS

Have you flushed the rear diff yet? I would try flushing the rear diff if you haven't and the transmission they would likeley do it as a warranty thing. Rear diff for sure!

I had a car with a Whiney transmission flushing helped it never went completely away it came about after dyno tuning the car took the guy to long to tune it he was a good 3 hours run after run he kept getting knock he actually fixed it by us doing pulls on the street tuning on the fly. Surprisingly it never blew up lol
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
cryssm

Haha, well, that's good. Whatever works, I suppose!

I had the rear diff fluid change back in August—it made the groan worse. I also had the transmission fluid changed at the same time.

Once I have time to get to the dealer, I'll see what they say (and have them address the rear diff groan, again). I've been fortunate enough to find a dealer that, for the most part, doesn't give me crap about potential issues and warranty work.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
2016SS

I have seen a few members on here have the wrong fluid installed from there dealer I would look at your receipt and dig it up on the forum to make sure they have matching numbers to what is recommended.

All else fails time to talk to the general manager face to face no call no email face to face is better.
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryssm View Post
Anyone else notice how loud the gears in the transmission are? It seems I hear them sometimes more than the engine. Just wondering whether this is normal.
Mine is also noisy. I know that is a relative term but to me it's very noticeable. One of my biggest complaints about this car is the amount of cabin noise. Between wind noise off the mirrors, rear diff groan, shifting noise...i probably should have gotten the CTSV :-) Although I do have a habit of driving without the radio on so maybe that makes it more noticeable? Or maybe it's a 1LT thing.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
pizokk1

Drives: -17 hyper blue 1ss black rims
i also have noisi transmission i already took it to the dealer but they said it was normal
pizokk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #13
cryssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016SS View Post
I have seen a few members on here have the wrong fluid installed from there dealer I would look at your receipt and dig it up on the forum to make sure they have matching numbers to what is recommended.

All else fails time to talk to the general manager face to face no call no email face to face is better.
Yeah, that was definitely a worry of mine; but, the part number they have listed on the receipt is the same as what is recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
Mine is also noisy. I know that is a relative term but to me it's very noticeable. One of my biggest complaints about this car is the amount of cabin noise. Between wind noise off the mirrors, rear diff groan, shifting noise...i probably should have gotten the CTSV :-) Although I do have a habit of driving without the radio on so maybe that makes it more noticeable? Or maybe it's a 1LT thing.
Oh yes, these cars do have cabin noise! I don't drive much with the radio on, either. So yeah, as you said, wind noise, tire noise, some annoying ticking sound only when at highway speeds from the passenger side (I think it might be the plug in the door at the bottom)...it all makes highway driving very unpleasant! Thankfully the rear diff and transmission noises are only at certain times. I guess it's time to start listening to the radio more

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizokk1 View Post
i also have noisi transmission i already took it to the dealer but they said it was normal
I hope it is normal! You never really know with GM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #14
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryssm View Post
Yeah, that was definitely a worry of mine; but, the part number they have listed on the receipt is the same as what is recommended.

Oh yes, these cars do have cabin noise! I don't drive much with the radio on, either. So yeah, as you said, wind noise, tire noise, some annoying ticking sound only when at highway speeds from the passenger side (I think it might be the plug in the door at the bottom)...it all makes highway driving very unpleasant! Thankfully the rear diff and transmission noises are only at certain times. I guess it's time to start listening to the radio more

I hope it is normal! You never really know with GM.
I recently noticed a low volume whine - audible only in a quiet environment: I.E. driving in 1st or 2nd gear for example into my underground parking I can hear this low-volume whine. Pressing the clutch pedal and the whine is gone. Engaging into gear again and the whine is back... Any additional inputs to this?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote